please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 1:14pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Virtual Singer
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   How do I make Virtual Singer rap?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: How do I make Virtual Singer rap?  (Read 598 times)
Trinikitti Nya
Board Newbie

Nya!

WWW |

How do I make Virtual Singer rap?  
« on: Oct 31st, 2021, 3:02am »
Quote | Modify

Hi, I'm new to the Spoken Voice feature of Virtual Singer and I was wondering how to use this to make VS speak in time with unpitched notes?
Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

Re: How do I make Virtual Singer rap?  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31st, 2021, 7:10am »
Quote | Modify

Hello, you should have a look to "text" staff (score > add a new staff)
but I never tried it

I'm not sure VS nor other voice synths are able of rap.
By the way, this can be a "source" sound you can export to another software where you can use auto-tuner and other effects (or use it as a VST if you have Myriad HQ licence and are adventurous).

(but I hate 100% auto-tuned music! in French rap they use it tooooo much).

Other alternative would be to record your own voice rap in a digital track, if you are able to rap, of course

--

Long time ago, before text staff feature, some users here experimented to make VS sound like a spoken voice, not monotonic but with a "singing" accent (i.e. not monotonic, with intonations emphasis).
To do that, they writed a musical staff with lyrics, not really easy to read for a musician, and used a lot of "curves" (green triangle on left staff menu) for pitching the voice.
Result was good, but I don't know how long it took to just create one sentence!
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2021, 7:16am by Sylvain Machefert » offline

HA+HQ+VS+PdfToM, Reaper+Audiveris+Transcribe, Win10+Focusrite Scarlet 4i4+Nord Electro 3
Linktree: VS languages, my scripts, my bands, my performances...
Trinikitti Nya
Board Newbie

Nya!

WWW |

Re: How do I make Virtual Singer rap?   SP_test.myr
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31st, 2021, 5:19pm »
Quote | Modify

I've been using the text staff and I was today years old when I realized that you can't put notes on it. Even when I put lyrics to line up with notes it sounds offbeat.
muddle
Board Senior Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 31st, 2021, 8:38pm »
Quote | Modify

Would it be possible to write  notes in the rhythm of the words first?  Enough notes in the bar to be able to fit every separate vowel/phoneme.  And /or extend some sounds over to the next note...   etc.   That might enable the sort of tuneless 'chanting' they do?  

You could use the "frequency" curve to move the voice up and down as you might in speech and/or  the 'treble' curve to make the voice vary as it chants.   Might be worth a try.

Hmm.. tempting to waste some time on it

The muddle

You tube videos using HA or Virtual Singers:- https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMuddleglum/videos
Trinikitti Nya
Board Newbie

Nya!

WWW |

« Reply #4 on: Nov 2nd, 2021, 9:45pm »
Quote | Modify

Quote:
Would it be possible to write  notes in the rhythm of the words first?

On the text staff or a normal one?
muddle
Board Senior Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 5th, 2021, 9:01am »
Quote | Modify

just checking,  were you thinking of free style  or something with background music/ beat?

I was thinking as  described above >>     "Long time ago, before text staff feature, some users here experimented to make VS sound like a spoken voice, not monotonic but with a "singing" accent (i.e. not monotonic, with intonations emphasis". To do that, they wrote a musical staff with lyrics, and used a lot of "curves" (green triangle on left staff menu) for pitching the voice. "

whether it was free rap or beat, you would probably need  a  musical, virtual singer staff ... so as to to hold the position of the words and allow adjustment .  Entering and moving phonemes to make sense.

you will have to explore what length of note to enter for each word..  probably a  single phoneme at times.  
I imagine the velocity of the sung note could be changed to get the right emphasis.
And some shifting of the actual start ( pressure time of the note),  
 Hmm. it sounds like you would have to be willing to do some experiment and learning.

Might be easiest to do it to a regular beat  and maybe try to match part of a rap that you know well?.  

good  luck..  muddle.

You tube videos using HA or Virtual Singers:- https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMuddleglum/videos
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad