|| General / Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant / Re: Problème abc (bug ?)
|| on: Jul 30th, 2022, 1:32pm
|Started by deneire | Last post by deneire
|Bon, désolé de faire les questions et les réponses (même si ça reste un bug à mon avis). Si je considère que c'est un legato plutôt qu'une liaison, ça marche (écrire |(E6 | E6)| plutôt que |E6- | E6|).
Reply | Quote | Notify of replies
|| General / Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant / Re: portée avec paroles
|| on: Jul 24th, 2022, 10:51am
|Started by Bhudy | Last post by jihel9
|Je n'avais pas la dernière version qui ajoute la possibilité de placer des respirations. C'est la version 1.6. Elle m'était passée sous le nez.
À noter que ce script vient de Bubu. Merci à lui de nous faciliter l'encodage des partitions.
Reply | Quote | Notify of replies
|| General / Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant / SERIOUS (and somewhat less serious) bugs STILL present since 9.9.4 (and before for the minor bug)!
|| on: Jul 17th, 2022, 11:37pm
|Started by Olivier Guillion | Last post by COMALite J
|Both bugs (one very major, one minor but a significant stumbling block to new users) that I’ve reported this year are still present in this new version beta (Harmony Assistant for 32-bit Windows i86, anyway).
The very major bug is that Virtual Singer goes completely silent for a whole staff if any microtonal accidental is present on a Virtual Singer staff. If all staves have even 1 microtonal accidental anywhere in them (since I do Barbershop tracks with this, that’s 95+% of everything I do with Myriad software!), then Virtual Singer won’t play any of that staff! It’s not just an audio thing either: the Mixer also shows nothing happening for those Staves during Virtual Singer playback. Turning Virtual Singer off causes those staves to play their base instrument normally.
The same files work just fine in Windows 95 version 9.9.2i, the most recent working version I have available to me (which thankfully works okay on Windows 10 32-bit despite being for older Windows releases), and also worked fine through 32-bit Windows version 9.9.3e. This bug appeared in 9.9.4 beta and has been present ever since, despite assurances that it was fixed.
Discussed Before in:
- 2021-08-29: Reply #2ff here re: HA 9.9.4d. In this comment I didn’t know that it was microtonal accidentals that were causing it yet, and in this version of HA the staves were being duplicated in the Mixer (this at least no longer happens [apparently as of 9.9.5], or at least not in the Mixer, but everything else still does).
- 2021-09-02: Reply #1ff re: HA 9.9.4e: Staff Duplication / Silenced Virtual Singer problems REMAIN!! Here’s where I first suspected that microtonal accidentals may have something to do with it. I also noted that the duplicate staves appeared in the Karaoke “Staff select” voice part’s lyrics selection dialog as well (I mistakenly said “Jukebox” in that comment).
- 2021-12-28: Reply #1ff here re: HA 9.9.5. I continued replying in this thread until now on this subject, including well into 2022.
Harmony Assistant is useless to me and anyone else wanting to do microtonal accidentals with Virtual Singer so long as this isn’t fixed! If you can’t fix it quickly, please make Version 9.9.3e available for download again until it is fixed and fully tested.
- Open the attached “LoveTagETthenJI.myr” file into any 32-bit Windows HA 9.9.4 beta through 9.9.6 beta.
- Make sure Virtual Singer is on, that its precalculation is set to 0% (full left — it may hang the application if not [it did with 9.9.4 anyway]!) and the Mixer is open and easily visible.
- Look at the Virtual Singer “stage”: while you only see 4 singers, below that you see 8 UK flags and 2 appearances of each VS Staff name (“Tenor Tenor Lead Bari Bari | Lead Bass Bass”)
- Play it. You see the usual VS “Calculating # human voices” modal progress dialog (in this case, the # will be “8” even though there only 4 Staves each with no more than 1 note at a time so there should be 4! This is apparently part of the bug).
- You see the playback bar move across the staff as if it were playing, yet you hear nothing at all and no audio level bars show up in the Mixer, not even a brief —!
- Open the Karaoke. You’ll see 8 Staves listed in the “Staff select” dialog: Tenor, Lead, Bari, Bass, Bass, Bari, Lead, Tenor! Click “All” and play. The Karaoke displays 8 lyrics lines! It “plays” silently! Again, there are only 4 Staves in this and each plays no more than 1 note at a time!
- Next, turn Virtual Singer off and Play again. Now you hear the Reed Organ Digital Instrument sound I use (because of its rich harmonics and no inherent vibrato or tremolo) to demonstrate microtuning. The bug doesn’t appear to adversely affect ordinary Digital Instruments.
- Next, turn Virtual Singer back on, then …
- Select Measures 4–16, which is all the ones with microtonal accidentals (this file was meant to demonstrate the difference between ET and JI, and the first 3 measures are ET), and do [Shift]+[D] to Delete them, and confirm the Delete.
- Immediately notice that the Virtual Singer “stage” now shows only 4 UK flags and names each Staff only once for 4 total staff names: “Tenor Lead Bass Bari” This is as it should be.
- Play it again. Now that all the microtonal accidentals are gone, it plays just fine! You do hear the Virtual Singer voices and see the audio level bars in the Mixer!
- Open the Karoake again. Now the “Staff select” dialog lists only 4 Staves: Tenor, Lead, Bari, Bass. Again, click “All” and let it play. Now you see only 4 lyric lines, and you do hear them.
- [Ctrl]+[Z] to Undo the deletion of Measures 4–16 and restore the full score including the microtonal accidentals.
- Notice that all the problems come back: the Virtual Singer stage shows “Tenor Tenor Lead Bari Bari | Lead Bass Bass” and 8 UK flags, the Karaoke “Select” staff shows 8 Staves with Lyrics to sing to and shows 8 lyric lines if you click “All” yet plays silently, and:
- Play it again, and you get the same result as before with the bug: recalculation of 8 (instead of 4) human voices, and no sound at all, either from the speakers or as shown in the [completely black] audio level bars of the Mixer.
- If you were to turn Virtual Singer off and do Karaoke at this point, you’d still see the duplicated staves, but when you click “All” only 4 display but in the smaller font size as if there were 8. You hear the instrument, but then HA crashes!
- If you still have access to any version of 32-bit i86 HA prior to 9.9.4 (as recent as 9.9.3e), or in a pinch you can download the last Windows 95-compatible version 9.9.2i, repeat the first few steps of this there. It’ll work just fine. Virtual Singer sings, no duplication of staves on the Virtual Singer stage nor in the Karoke “Select staff” dialog, etc. This demonstrates that this bug was introduced at the same time as the revamping and expansion of microtonal accidentals.
The duplication of staves leads me to believe that for some reason the presence of a microtonal accidental on a staff causes Virtual Singer to calculate 2 tracks for each voice on that staff, and I think that the duplicate one is flipped in its audio waveform (positive and negative sample amplitude values exactly reversed), so that the 2 tracks exactly cancel each other out! It’s something I can think of that makes sense.
The minor bug is that the “Windows” Menu’s Help text is all messed up, with the wrong Help text attached to the wrong menu items starting with the “Edit tools” which gives the Help text that properly belongs to the “Action tools.” Everything from that point down, including menu separator lines, has the wrong Help text attached. This error has been around for many versions and has been getting worse and worse as new items keep getting added to that menu and existing ones switched around.
Of course, for new users, this is going to be very confusing!
I went into more detail including diagnosing the probable cause of that in this thread.
Reply | Quote | Notify of replies
Return to the board index.