You have always been fascinated by paleontology (and music)?
This page is designed for you. Find here the detailed list of
program changes and fixes since the beginning of times, or even
slightly before that.
Harmony Assistant 8.4
Melody Assistant 6.4
This new version (Harmony Assistant 8.4, Melody Assistant 6.4)
includes many new features and improvements. The Myriad team,
developers and beta-testers are proud to introduce, in this new
Here are the details of these new features:
- A redesign of the interface which enables to change the icon
set and introduces new kind of windows. A contextual help is added
to the already existing help system.
- A new technologie for human voice rendering, even more
realistic: Real Singer II.
- MIDI import and quantize have been completely rewritten: they
are simpler to use and more efficient.
- A new installer for all our applications, more user-friendly
- MyrScript, the embedded language of Harmony Assistant, is now
in v.0.2 and comes with new scripts, for example digital track to
note converter, graphical metronome, beat marking display, wind
instrument tablature calculator...
- Mac OS X version is closer to the usual appearance of other
applications, with smoothed fonts, dialog box related to document
windows, an application shipped as a "bundle", mouse wheel
- Options have been redistributed over menus to improve
consistency. A new "Help" menu contains all possible helps.
- Better position of document windows in relation to palettes
- New desktop icon for the applicatin
- Help bubbles for contextual help on pointed object (can be
disabled from "Help" menu)
- Palette icons can be changed and chosen among several sets. Users
can create their own icon set.
- MIDI import: volume, panning, pitch bend, chorus and
reverberation events can be converted in parameter curves. Can be
disabled from Global Setup.
- RealSinger II: New sung voice algorithms, based on "real voice"
- New slur type: dotted line
- Breath mark is interpreted as a pressure time change
- Mac OS X: Application is stored as a "bundle"
- Windows: it is now possible to select Audio or Midi mapper as
input/output device. It is now the default the first time the
program is launched.
- Brand new algorithm for note quantize (see manual and help on
configuration window objects)
- New installer program on Mac OS X and Windows.
- MyrScript: wind instrument tablature calculator for French Horn
- MyrScript (Language): Added methods Score:
QuantizeSelection (quantization) and Score.BeamSelection (beam)
- MyrScript: Script > Performance> Metronome: metronome
simulator when music is playing
- MyrScript: Script > Performance> Beat marking: graphical
beat marking when music is playing
- MyrScript: Script > Digital sound> Digital to note:
transforms a digital track in which a monophonic (one note at a
time) is recorded into regular notation on score.
- Virtual Singer: grupetto, mordent, double mordent, as well as
grace notes inserted after the main note are now sung by Virtual
- MyrScript (Language): Added the Symbol.GetTiedElements() method,
that enables, from a symbol, to know the details of the tied notes
it is made of.
- Harmony: Possible to define and use predefined user
- Digital tracks: parameters curves for volume, panning, flanger,
- Virtual Singer/RealSinger: three additional parameters in the
"Interpretation" tab, that enable to control "singing formant"
- MyrScript: two new scripts from Luis Pinho: "Restore
ornament position" and "Resize staff area and position" (Notation
- You can add a script as a button in the custom palette: select
the script in its menu while Shift key down.
- Lossless compression for Real Singer voices, in order to decrease
- The bar number can be forced to be displayed.
- The bar bumber can be hidden.
- Digital track normalization state is memorized.
- Change: Microtonal adjustment: commas, or cents applied to
instruments are now logarithmic and not linear. For example, a
quarter tone is now exactly 50 cents. This can slightly change the
played note pitch compared to previous versions of the program.
Most of the time, change is imperceptible.
- Improvement when adapting existing notes afer a change in the
staff rule set.
- C keys are loaded from OMeR V 2.0.
- Improvement of "roll" effects (note groups, also called "tremolo"
sometimes), trills and grace notes, now processed as independent
- Maximum number of simultaneous voice is now 256 (instead of
- Logical parallel between slurs and ties. Now, a continuous slur
between two consecutive notes of equal pitch is plaued as a tied
If the two notes have different pitches, they are
played as a unique note with a smooth pitch variation
By default, a slur between two consecutive notes of
equal pitch will be played as a tied note.
- Chord containing notes that are close to each other: heads are
inverted in accordance with the common display standard.
- Dots are aligned in a chord that contains close notes
- MIDI loading: transposing instrument is not applied when the
staff contains lyrics
- Rest that matches an eighth note duration has been graphically
shifted to comply by default to the writing normalization. This can
slightly change the appearance of already written pieces.
- After having modified a rule set, the user can select whether
notes graphical appearance has to follow the rule set change.
- Harmony Assistant: digital track processing scripts (equalizer,
noise reduction) can now be applied to several digital tracks at
the same time (stereo...)
- Multi-rest bar: invisible tempo object do not break empty bars
- Multi-rest bar: clef changes, time signature changes or key
changes now break empty bar counting
- New double-click and triple-click management: faster.
- MIDI import: better finding of default staff to be related to
lyrics when a MIDI file includes several lyrics lines
- MIDI: Transposition that is set through the "Master coarse
tuning" RPN is now managed.
- Chord grid font can be changed for printing
- Virtual Singer: calculation change in order to limit processor
load when too many voices are calculated at the same time.
- Virtual Singer: auto-adaptative pre-calculation in order to avoid
background calculation to be caught up by played music
- Virtual Singer: better management of accented capitals
- Windows: Better management of some keyboard shortcuts in
- Better management of tied notes when applying "beam on beat".
- Windows: When a document is created from a template that uses
bitmap fonts, these fonts are automatically converted into vector
- Virtual Singer: changes applied to demo files for a better
- Appearance of some document templates has been improved.
- Lyrics related to staves: the underline is not cut anymore by the
- Mac OS X: Mouse scroll wheel management.
- Windows: Better management of mouse scroll wheel.
- Fixed played bar list when editing break/repeat symbols
- Digital tracks were improperly disabled from printing when "do
not print empty staves" option was on.
- Fixed: multi-rest display with chord line
- Fixed: an inactive arpeggio is not played anymore.
- Fixed: tuplet parameters on split notes
- Fixed: time signature color on tablatures
- Fixed: slur between a note and a rest when playing
- Fixed: apply transposing instrument do not set the clef color to
- Fixed: Digital tracks: horizontal and vertical mirror.
- Fixed: Crash after "too long syllable" alert box when Virtual
Singer is analyzing lyrics
- Fixed: End of line in multi-rest bars
- Fixed: text TAB export: rest management
- Fixed: Crash on Mac OS X when using some instruments from the
- Fixed: Windows: folder creation problem, especially for the
"CreateFolder" Myrscript function
- Fixed: Grace notes located after the note are now properly played
(could let "ghost notes" be heard from the Myriad Plug-in)
- Fixed: Export Ogg: first frame of some sounds was corrupted
(noise at the beginning).
- Fixed: Full bar selection in "scroll mode", when music was more
than 3000 bars.
- Fixed: Improper playing of selection range in digital tracks and
Virtual Singer when selection range exceeded the end of the
- Fixed: Harmony Assistant: crash when importing rhythms (drum
patterns) from another score.
- WAV/AIFF/MP3/OGG export: problems of file duration when a
starting position tab was set have been fixed
- GOLD sound base: some instruments using high-quality velocity
(for example Cello 2), had loop problems when played.
- Windows: Problem when a slur was one pixel length fixed.
- Fixed a problem in light sound database, when a high-pitched note
was played on a sound that was not defined in the sound base.
Harmony Assistant 8.4.1, Melody Assistant 6.4.1
- Fix: problem while exporting chord lines in ABC file format.
- The last note in the selection is not beamed anymore with the
following not selected note after applying "Beam" or "Beam on
- Windows: The installer program now force the application and
- Windows: Fix of dynamic link problem which generate problems on
- Windows: Fix of some problems while closing MIDI and some badly
written MIDI drivers
- Fix: problem while validating record with RealSinger
- SoundFont import: number of selected samples is displayed
- Fix: Real time parameter recording from the mixer. Selecting no
parameter generated corrupted files
Harmony Assistant 8.4.2, Melody Assistant 6.4.2
- MyrScript is now in version 0.2.2
- New scripts: Tabledit file import, automatic break symbols
computation, score linearization (changes score so that break
symbols can be deleted without changing the way music is playing),
- Scripts can be password-protected
- Free objects editing from Score menu
- New free object position: after last page
- New dynamics:
- When editing a dynamic, you can change its type.
- Windows: Internet connection: Tunnel, Socks 4/4A/5 and
Authenticated Socks5 (login/password) Proxies management
- Windows: Option to open and close MIDI port only once per
- Break symbol display (coda, segno...): When priority
is set to tablature with standard staff displayed, these symbols
are only displayed on the standard staff.
- For a better handling, frame around lyrics are still
displayed (in light gray) when disabled.
- Improved Jukebox speed when creating a list from a folder.
- Better display of "undisplayable" note lengths
- Templates have been checked and enhanced (tanks to Nicou59)
- New tag in text (text related to the staff, header and footer,
free text objects): $M displays the music duration as mm:ss
- When a barline is added, its position (beginning or end of the
bar) is computed according to the exact click location.
- A minimal quantize now changes only very lightly note positions.
The score is less readable but closer to the original.
- ABC loading: "Minor" or "Min" are taken into account in the key
field. Ex: K: A Minor" instead of "K: Am"
- Rule name display: text overlapping is now managed when several
staves with rules are merged together.
- In the "File>Printing option" dialog box, an "Apply" button
enables to see the effect of parameter change without having to
leave the dialog box. If the "Page mode tools" palette is closed,
it opens automatically in order to enable displaying any page in
the dialog's background.
- Part joining: break symbol color
- A double click on an object (dynamic, effect, picture...) to edit
it, does not reset the selected area.
- Global dynamics on merged staves
- Lyrics related to digital tracks: some glitches fixed.
- Harmony: Margin resizing in page mode.
- Some Internet connection problems fixed.
- RealSinger (recording): too short phonemes are forbidden.
- Fixed a problem when tying two notes, the second one being in
chord with a rest (or displayed using a double stem)
- Windows: MIDI issues when the selected MIDI device was "Microsoft
- Windows: Fixed a problem when printing 24-bits pictures, 83 pixel
- Windows: Crash when a PCT or BMP filed was dragged & dropped
to the floating palette
- Windows: In "Hardware configuration", changes in the "MIDI echo
device" can be heard immediately by testing MIDI input.
- Fixed lyrics alignment in ABC export, when text overlapped a note
- Fixed instrument edit window position when a value was chosen in
its pop-up menu
- Fixed possible crash when changing tab in the accompaniment edit
- Fixed possible crash when a numbered part (ending) was repeated
more than 16 times.
- Chord diagrams for chord names containing a "/" are now
- Bar number text color when the frame is activated.
- Fixed problems when duplicating a merged staff
- Fixed problem when the whole chord diagram list was deleted
- Fixed display problem when a curve segment was very long (more
than 200 bars)
- Fixed, when transposing using "don't change notes graphical
location" option, accidental problem on the 1st note of each bar
when it was implied by the key signature.
Harmony Assistant 8.4.3, Melody Assistant 6.4.3
- ABC Import : Part repeat notated as [..] x n are processed
- Text type staves are not taken into account in multi-rest bar
processin, which enables to add text on multi-rests by merging a
regular staff with a text staff.
- Better management of smooth slurs (glissendo) in MIDI output and
- Smooth slur (glissendo) in MIDI and digital output manages commas
(microtonal adjustment) of slurred notes.
- Jukebox : when creating HTML pages, e-mail addresses are now
masked to avoid them to be catched by robots. By default @ is
substituted by (a). You can define anythink else, for example a
picture containing an @.
- MIDI Import : Fixed issue in frequency curve (Pitch
- Digital export : the normalization now processes played bars and
ignores unplayed bars
- Myrscript : fixed problem when sending too long strings to the
- Mac OS 9 : Error when opening complete mixer palette.
- Harmony Assistant : Fixed bank mistakes in the General Midi 1
(GM1) Midimap. Be caredul, if you changed this Midimap, these fixes
won't be applied.
- MIDI Export/Playing: Fixed errors when handling bank numbers in
- Mac OS : Fixed bank select in Quicktime output
Harmony Assistant 8.4.4, Melody Assistant 6.4.4
- Trills: when possible, trill is played during the whole note
- Mac OS X: problem with "Cancel" in confirm boxes
- ABC export: notes splitted by a barline.
- Fixed problem when inserting $m command in default page header or
- Fixed problem when editing lyrics (when using "Staff>Edit
lyrics, then select a staff without lyrics).
Harmony Assistant 8.3
Melody Assistant 6.3
This version brings up a major evolution in Harmony Assistant:
Minor fixes and features that are necessary to maintain
compatibility between Harmony and Melody apply to both of these
As usual, upgrading from a previous version is free of charge.
MyrScript is a highly powerful language that enables any user to
write scripts to control completely Harmony Assistant.
You can also define new tool palettes.
Predefined scripts already offer a whole bunch of new features
- Tablatures for wind instruments : recorder, ocarina, tuba, flute,
- Fingering display while music is playing : a must to learn how to
play an instrument
- Analog drum sound generator
- Note name display
- Tempo adjustment on digital track
- Echo of notes played on computer (or MIDI) keyboard.
- Digital or analog clock
- Selected notes duration conversion.
- Selected notes pitch conversion.
- Real-time fingering for guitar, bass, and other fretted string
- Velocity humanizing
- Portamento effect on a group of notes
- Virtual Singer language forcing
- Singers placement on stage
- SAMPA display while Virtual Singer is singing
- Separated parts printing
- E-mail address change for a whole set of files
- Parallel fifth and octave check
- Revert to last saved version of the document
- Note sequence search in a document or a set of documents
A complete documentation is provided for these scripts :
"Scripts> About scripts" menu option.
New scripts will be available for free on our Website. Updated
scripts can be downloaded from "Scripts>Internet update".
If you intend to write your own scripts, a very complete manual
(more than 350 pages) explains in detail how to proceed : "Scripts
> Developer manual". New version of this manual are frequently
At last, if you want to share your script with other users, it is
possible to send it to us very easily.
- Tutorials : tutorials can now be downloaded and displayed from
the program itself . Tutorial display windows is available in
- Import and export in Vorbis Ogg format
- New rest duration : double whole duration
- Jukebox : the sound database with which the document has been
created is now displayed.
- New option in palette settings : automatic matching of dot and
tuplet between note and rest duration palettes.
- Virtual Singer frequency accuracy enhanced to reach the 100th of
- New keyboard shortcut : apply phrasing
- Selected notes duration change : delay can also been changed.
- the ".MYR" file extension can now be used instead of .MUS for
- MP3 import has been accelerated.
- In MIDI Karaoke export (.kar), the panning position of singer is
saved instead of the related instrument's.
- In MIDI Karaoke import (.kar), singer panning position is set
according to the panning position of the related instrument.
- When adding lyrics to a staff, singer position is set to the
related instrument panning position.
- All MIDI notes are now off when pausing a tune.
- Key and time signatures are now vertically aligned, whatever the
- Gregorian notation : number of lines in the staff can now be
- Virtual Singer : rule-based velocity bounds are now played.
- When duplicating a staff, the related instrument is duplicated
- Now possible to define whether a trill starts by the note itself,
or the above note.
- ABC import : multiple scores separated by a carriage return
- Problem when playing selection range in loop (missing voices)
- Harmony Assistant : positionning issue in engraver mode, when a
tied note goes over more than one bar, and when beamend with next
- Digital track damaged when score is saved while playing.
- Played note coloring when a grace note is located after a clef or
- Wrong accented characters when printing a score embedded into
another one (through free objects).
- Windows : problem when pinting "thin cross+circle", "thin
cross+demi-circle", "bold cross+circle", "bold cross"
- Accented characters conversion in abbreviated staff name after a
- Some break symbols (repeat barline for example) disappeared
graphically when located on an empty bar.
- Harmony : problem when an accompaniment could not be generated
properly (for example, too big octave offset)
- Harmony : problem of accompaniment generation when some chords
- .MUS file was erased when saving in the same folder under another
format (.MID, .ABC...)
- Wrong dynamics positioning when importing a Midifile
- Clef, time or key signature could be partially printed out of the
page area when clef/signature repeat at line end was on
- Grid drum staff printing when another staff requested the
clef/signature to be repeated at line end.
- Windows : Graphical mispositionning of "long" (quadruple whole)
note on screen in 100% zoom.
- Problem in deleting tie between notes when editing was limited to
- Clef repeat in Gregorian notation
- Clicking on rests at the end of long pieces (more than 200
- Virtual Singer : SAMPA [#] or Fragment [#+] phonetic
adjustments are now sung in any case, even if the syllable they
apply to is silent.
- When printing, natural symbols in key signature are now printed
only when necessary. It can change page setting of existing
- Harmony Assistant : inverted chords in chord grid are now be
played differently. It can change the way already written
accompaniments are performed.
- Dynamics marked as "not played" canceled the effect of a previous
"played" dynamics. This has been fixed, but can change the way
previously written pieces are played.
- Improvement of clef change in the middle of a bar.
- Fixed : problems when a "velocity filter" was applied to a custom
digital instruments in 8-bits format
- Windows : Fixed : import of digital sound in MP3 or Ogg format
when editing a "user" sound.
- New slur appearance : bracket. This enables either the bracketed
Renaissance notation or a slide line between two notes.
- New staff setup option : stems centered on note head.
- Now possible to display chord names in the chord grid
left-aligned instead of centered (contextual menu in the chord grid
- You can now frame text object : insert the "$X" command in the
text. If you insert more than one "$X" command, frame will have
more than one line.
- Fixed problems in Gregorian staves editing
- You can now apply separate color and size for each notes of a
- The inject tool now works on Gregorian staves.
- Windows : improvement in wheel mouse management.
- Midi recording : suppression of delay between the first bars of
metronome and the first note of the piece
- Fixed problems in horizontal scroll bar activation state the
first time jukebox window is open.
- Mac OS X : The error kPMNoSuchEntry, -30874 returned by some
printer drivers is now ignored.
- RealSinger did not sing some notes of high velocity
- Windows : Arrow for note shape selector scroll bar in rule
editing were inactive
- Problems when changing clef in the middle of a bar.
- New tuplet display options : with brackets, with slur, nothing
- New default placement for ornaments : ornaments are placed more
nicely around the notehead and avoid to be overlaped by staff
- Tutorials : keyword search in tutorial list window
- Tutorials : improved load time.
- Gregorian notation : pes shifting fixed, rests are now
- MIDI export : saved note duration is more accurate, which enables
to import Midi files generated by Harmony / Melody without
- MIDI export : Fixed export problems when "Windows" charset is
- When deleting notes in "limit edit to one bar" mode : sometimes
several consecutive ghost rests were generated. This has been
- Edit>Add : when a note replaces another one of smaller
duration, target staff note are not shifted anymore.
- Fixed problem when loading an OMeR file (.msf) when OMeR is in
- Windows : Fixed (or more precisely work-arounded) problems
of exception C000008E & C0000090, due to a bug (FPU control
mask corruption) in some printer drivers under Windows 98/ME.
- Harmony : Fixed problems in MIDI export when an init command is
defined in the Midimap.
- Harmony : Automatic rhythm generating process speeded up.
- Ogg export : Source sample rate selector
- Fixed bitrate when exporting selection range on a digital track
(now set to 128 Kbps)
- Fixed loss of note effects in rules when saving/loading a
- Harmony, Windows : fixed crash when playing tune after editing
- Virtual Singer : grace notes before the main note are managed
- Graphical enhancement : beam on notes that have a downwards bold
- Digital export : now possible to ask for a volume
- Fixed : Floating palettes written in MyrScript opening through a
- Added a protection in digital music playing which fixes some rare
crashes on Mac OS X with bi-processors.
- Myriad Music Plug-in : Now possible to display score lyrics as a
- New slur display mode : waves
- New parts (endings) display : joined start and end. Can be
disabled in global settings.
- Added "fanfare" and "kiosk music" categories
- Fixed problems of real-time MIDI input when music has just be
- Fixed unexpected volume changes when rests are played in MIDI
output or export.
- Fixed the way some dynamics are applied
- Fixed MIDI export of "eighth/sixteenth groups" effect.
- Fixed problems in locating chord diagrams in the chord line when
chord name includes a "-"
- Fixed unexpected rule name repeat when printing
- Virtual Singer : Improved German dictionnary/pronunciation
- Virtual Singer palette is now resizeable
Harmony Assistant 8.2
Melody Assistant 6.2
This version mainly includes new features that have been suggested
For example, a new way of displaying the complete mixer palette, an
album, a way of managing note duration in step-by-step recording,
and real-time not input through the computer keyboard, etc.
These major improvements apply to Harmony Assistant. Minor
adjustments and features needed to support file compatibility apply
to both Melody and Harmony Assistant.
- Harmony Assistant. New display for complete mixer : 2D staff
display to set volume and panning of instrument groups more easily.
Panning and volume are applied graphically and in real time. It is
possible to select several staves and move them in a row.
A special mode enables to "freeze" object size.
The "Live" mode records in real-time, while music is playing, the
changes you apply to the miscellaneous parameters. For example, you
can decrease gradually the volume of a staff or change in real-time
the resonator characteristics or frequency offset.
- Free object resizing in their edit box : possible to keep the
ration beetween vertical and horizontal size.
- Independent volume and panning management for instruments
included in a rule set. Until now, all instruments in the rule set
had the same volume and panning. Now,when setting up a rule, you
can specify the sound generation will be performed independently
from other instruments for this staff, and therefore set up finely
panning and volume for each instrument.
Note : in the rule edit box, Shift+click applies this change to the
whole rule set.
- New mode for displaying note flags in fretted instrument
tablatures (half rhythm values)
- New setting for fretted instrument tablatures : offset from the
- Possible to center stems on notes on a tablature
- Possible to set up an extra space between the note and its stem
on a tablature
- New fretted instruments for tablature and chord diagrams :
Charango, Portorican Cuatro, 8, 9 and 10-course lute, archlute.
- Harmony Assistant. Chord diagram display mode for left-handed
persons. Can be set up in Global settings, "Appearance"
- Harmony Assistant. When inputting notes from the computer
keyboard, virtual keyboard of MIDI keyboard, note duration can be
approximated from the time key is pressed. This features can be
activated from the Global Settup, "keyboard" topic. A computer
keyboard key can be set up to enable/disable this option.
- Harmony Assistant. New window : album. Can be selected from the
"Windows" menu. The album enables to manage a frequently used
object library (notes, texts, effects, diagrams, etc). Album
content is preserved when exiting the program.
You can copy the scrapbook content into the album, or copy/paste an
item from the album to your score.
When notes, effect processors or chord diagrams are stored in the
album, you can hear them.
File in which album data are stored is located in your document
folder, "Settings/Extra" subfolder.
Album is multiple : you can store your data int 8 independent
parts. To change part, use buttons "1" to "8". To move the current
element into another part of the album, press the command (Ctrl)
key and move the element onto the button you want.
- Harmony Assistant. Real-time note input : computer keyboard can
also be used. Echo from input notes follows the same rules than
MIDI input : if MIDI IN echo is activated, notes are sent to the
MIDI output that is used for this echo.
- Staff bounds can be drawn. You can set this up in Global
settings, Appearance topic. A coloured horizontal line shows the
lower bound of each staff. It enables for example to see more
easily on what staff a note will be inserted.
- Harmony Assistant. New palette : style palette. A style is made
of all note or rest attributes you can select from palettes :
duration, color, scale, stem, head shape, ornaments ... You can
collect in this palette the most frequently used combinations to
apply them at a glance to the currently selected notes. Keyboard
shortcuts can be set up to link a keyboard key to style create,
delete or apply operation.
- Music symbols can be included in texts that are inserted on score
(rhythmic pattern, swing indication, etc)
- Most frequent transposing instrument can be applied automatically
during MIDI import. This can be enabled or disabled from Global
settings, Midi import topic.
- New option in the "Staff" menu : parameter curves related to one
or several staves can be deleted.
- Digital instrument edit : "Action>Clear all" command, that
enables to start editing more easily a new (empty) digital
- Improvement for beamed notes in complex rhythmic patterns
- MPEG Layer 2 file loading
- Better management for child palettes when detached from master
- Baroque tablature : better display for barlines, break symbols
and time signature
- Windows : Improvement of "user" and "complete mixer" palette
- Windows : better management for fonts that own big overlap areas
- Help window : displays the staff in which dynamics, text,
graphics or Fx processor will be inserted
- Better accuracy in knobs
- Better accuracy in sliders
- Note velocity is taken into account when inputting notes in
step-by-step mode from a MIDI keyboard.
- Harmony Assistant. Different page setup for additional pages
(lyrics, chord grid) added at the end of the score.
- Harmony Assistant. Lyrics text style editing in the additional
page by double-clicking the text.
- Try (through the hammer tool) of chord diagrams inserted on a
- Acceleration of fast forward in "Play tools" palette
- Master volume setting is now used in MIDI output
- Lyrics input using Virtual Singer : you can specify the list of
phonetic FRAGMENTS to be sung (it enables to mix in the same word
syllables from different languages)
Syntax : displayed
Example : rroar[#+RXFI+OW+RFR] will display
"roarr" on score, and will sing a Finnish rolled R, an English "OW"
then a French R, whatever the currently selected language could
- Number of times a rule name is displayed on a staff is not
- Harmony Assistant. Better graphical accuracy (justification) of
printing output when paper size is forced by the user
- Harmony Assistant. Improvement of the way the "Try" button works
when creating a new accompaniment.
- Virtual Singer. Better management of consecutive notes of equal
pitch, but owning different effects (bend, turkish comma)
- Digital output : Improvement of the "Reverb" digital effect
processor, in order to remove "ticks" that were heard
- Windows : Improvement of windows auto-positioning when the
application is minimized while opening.
- Improvement of echo when inserting short notes on a staff that
outputs to MIDI.
- Fermata symbol loading and saving in ABC file format
- MIDI Import : better management of "pitch bend" effects that
remain constant over several notes.
- Fixed problems in icon positionning in user palette
- Windows : Fixed problems when loading user-defined default values
(templates, effects) when located on a network path
- Fixed problems when number of voices is too low while playing
from the jukebox
- Fixed problem when moving lyrics to a staff that did not own any
- Graphical appearance for staccati and tenuti.
- Fixed loading some sounds (Guitar) in GMMPBase (very light sound
- Fixed chord diagram printing location when in chord grid
- Empty bars and staves to be ignored when printing : bars that
include a tempo change or a dynamics are no more considered as
- Windows : Fixed problems of access path under Windows 98.
- Fixed problems in "Tie" action when several notes of different
duration are included in the same chord.
- Copy/Paste of isolated objects
- Note input when metronome bar number is set to zero.
- Fixed issues when two slurred notes belong to different
- Harmony Assistant : Fixed issues when splitting windows.
- Fixed error ("Solliais : erreur 263") when moving notes that own
at the same time a slur and an ornament.
- Windows : Fixed issue (time shifting) when receiving "Program
change" command from the MIDI input.
- MP3 import : Now possible to skip frames whose format is not
managed by the program.
- Windows :Curves : Fixed issue when modifying curve settings.
- Fixed issues when loading some MSF files
- Fixed crash during quantize operation, when the first note of the
staff has a negative delay
- When quitting some dialog boxes, tool palettes remained
- Virtual Singer icon position on VS palette in "Old style"
- Objects pasting takes the selection position as origin. This
enables to copy objects (diagrams, text, Fx processors, etc) then
to paste them everywhere : select objects by clicking their area
(Shift key enables to select multiple objects), copy, move
everywhere on score, click where you want to insert these objects,
- Important : "ascending grupetto" and "descending grupetto"
symbols have been inverted to match the commonly used
Harmony Assistant 8.1
Melody Assistant 6.1
- New break symbols box With add, delete, change break symbols
(music start/end, repeat start/end, parts, coda jump, etc). You can
open this box by double-clicking on any break symbol or from the
"Score" menu. Changes are immediatly applied to the score and a
list of played bars is given.
- Metronome Now plays metronome a few bars before MIDI input
to provide tempo. This can be setup in the general setup, "MIDI
- MIDI input : Right and left hand splitting.
- Diatonic and chromatic transposing (Edit>pitch
change>advanced...). Transpose the selection range or create
chords automatically. From the note contextual menu : create any
chord from the original note.
- Searching and marking notes outside instrument pitch
- Instrument name normalization : Sound names now follow the
General MIDI 2 specification (GM2). In the instrument selection
dialog box, here is the meaning of the differents colors :
black : the sound is GM2 and present in the
current sound base
gray : the sound is GM2 and not present in the
current sound base. If you select it, the closest sound will be
blue : additional sound, not GM2
The new high quality Gold sound base includes all GM2 sounds, as
well as many additional sounds.
- Instruments conversion : When the high quality Gold sound base is
installed and selected, a conversion occurs when loading music
files. This conversion transforms old sounds to new sounds.
You can setup the way this conversion is applied using
"Configuration>Sound Base>Edit preferred sound...". For each
old sound, you can define a new sound to be used instead. Of course
this does not affect user's instruments or files created with the
- Fine Midi output adjustment - MidiMap (Harmony only). In the Midi
advanced setup, you can select a predefined midi sound mapping or
define your own. For each standard sound, you can relate a program
change, bank and key that follows your synthesizer requirement :
this is called a MidiMap. Midi file import and export can also be
setup to follow a specific MidiMap (general setup).
-User file management. All files you create using Melody or Harmony
(music pieces, templates, exports, setup files...) are now saved by
default in the "Myriad Documents" folder. You will find this folder
in the "Document" (or "My Documents") folder of your computer. It
is recommanded to frequently backup this folder.
In Harmony/Melody when an item is displayed in a list with a little
red star, this mean this is an user's item.
Storing documents in these default folders is strongly recommended,
however,the user may save files elsewhere if so desired.
Here is the structure of this folder :
Music This sub-folder contains your music
pieces. You can divide it in sub-folders.
Export Contains music, audio and graphical
Graphical export : EPS, BMP, PICT..., files.
Music Export Music/Audio
exports : MID, MP3, WAV..., files
Lyrics, Lyric texts.
Settings Contains all your settings.
Drums, Drums set.
instruments tablature setup, Harmonica setup.
keyboard key assignment.
Organs, Street organ
Rules, Rule sets, rules
Voices, Virtual Singer
Time signature display on fretted instrument tablatures.
New tablature option : erase note background
Cautionary clef/key/time signature can be displayed at end of line
when it changes at the next bar.
Break symbols can be displayed at the end of the line.
Extended menu shorcuts using Command+Shift+Key, Command+option+Key.
This can be disabled in the general setup, "Keyboard" pannel.
In "Edit" menu, new command : redo last menu command.
Break symbols display enhancement before key changes.
New keyboards shortcuts : insert bars, delete bars, quantize,
humanize, merge, unmerge, pitch change, switch to inject mode,
reset palette status..
Engraver mode setup : fast ratio (+10%,-10%) can be applied to all
Automatic saving of the work in progress (The delay can be setup in
the general configuration)
New command for free text objects : $L. The $L command is
subtituted by the lyrics related to the score. This allow for
example to create easily texts objects with the couplets.
When more than one staff own lyrics, you can select the staff with
$L"staff name". You can extract a line of text using $L,line
number. For example $L,4 will extract the 4th line or the first
staff with lyrics. You can extract a range of played bars using
$L,b1-b2 where b1 is the first bar, b2 the last bar. For example,
$L"melody",1-24 will extract the lyrics related to the bar 1 to 24
of the staff "melody".
New features (Harmony only) : Compute velocities from dynamics,
compute dynamics from velocities for all score (Score menu)
While editing velocities curve (in red), real velocities curve is
displayed (in orange). The real velocities show the influence of
the dynamics on the velocities stored in the notes.
New page setup option : repeat the clef change at the end of the
previous line when the clef change begin a line.
User's instruments : up to 64 sounds per instruments.
When loading a document, you can already impose the page mode or
scroll mode. You can now setup the page mode scale : scale recorded
in the document, full page, full width. (Harmony only)
In the Jukebox you can set the color of each line (Shift+Click on
the line). A new column was added : the "icon" column to relate one
to four predefined icons to a music file. Musics can be sorted
Copy/paste of notes on staves related to a transposing instrument
take account of this to preserve the note pitches.
Effects related to notes : Line thickness setup (Global
Harmonica slide bar display while switching from chromatic to
Finger numbering in chord diagrams
Pedal while MIDI import.
Virtual Singer : minor problems with Scatt Jazz mode fixed.
Chord line editing, loading, saving, when break symbols.
Tie orientation while keyboard editing.
Accordion tabalture : left hand notes.
Repeat last bar symbol : problems with effects and ghost rests
Dynamics applying problem fixed.
Object shift when inserting an incomplete bar.
TAB text export : break symbols problem fixed (wrong bar).
Dynamics and parameter curves on staff with rules.
Bar right alignment when a bar right margin is defined.
Loading and saving lyrics in ABC file format.
Load and saving comments in ABC file
Overflow in password input.
Instruments saving on multiple score.
Fast transpose in minor keys.
Printing pages including large embedded pictures.
Chord line computing while applying a transposing instrument
Chord grid computing while moving a note (Harmony)
Transposing instrument : bass Clarinet.
- Baroque Lute Tablature : the 'c' replace the 'r' for 3th fret
- Key allocation change : While editing object, Command key
activate the delete mode, Alt key activate select/mode. While
moving note, Shift+Alt move the note in its area.
- Word "Beam" is now used instead of "Hitch"
- Small increase of some effects drawing thickness.
Harmony 8.1.0a, Melody 6.1.0a (09-24-2002)
- Bug fix in some (very rare) MU3 file loading.
- Because of a bug in Mac OS X, colored mouse cursor are not
displayed in Mac OS X.2.0 and Mac OS X.2.1. Apple announces this
will be fixed in X.2.2
- Apple fixed a part of the bug in Internet accesses on MacOS X.2.
It enabled us to find a workaround to make "Automatic update" and
"Send us an e-mail" work well.
Harmony 8.1.0b, Melody 6.1.0b (09-26-2002)
- Minor fix in the sound base menu.
- Delay in MIDI output under Mac OS X.2
- Fixed access path problem when exporting in WAV or MP3 format
- Windows : Fixed problem of communication with OMeR
- Note echo duration has been limited to 2 seconds
- Problem when loading some S3M files fixed
- Playing a user digital instrument with a loop that starts at the
very beginning of the sample : fixed.
Harmony 8.1.1, Melody 6.1.1 (09-30-2002)
- Windows : Fixed graphical inaccuracy when clicking on tab
- Windows : Alert now well displayed when no sound base
- Harmony Assistant : Fixed issues in velocity curve edit in page
- Harmony Assistant : Fixed problems in target prositioning when
editing note parameters in engraver mode
- Harmony Assistant : Fixed issue when selecting a preset rhythm
- Harmony Assistant : Fixed issue (extra notes played) when trying
a new pattern in accompaniment edit pane
- Fixed issue in editing user sound extra samples when in
instrument creation simplified mode
- Fixed issue in grace notes beaming
Harmony 8.1.2, Melody 6.1.2 (10-03-2002)
- Fixed ABC format load and save
- Transposing instrument can be taken into account or not when
copying & pasting through "Edit" topic in Global setup
- Windows : Fixed some path problems
- Windows : Fixed AltGr key management under Windows 95/98/ME
Harmony Assistant 8.0
Melody Assistant 6.0
We are especially glad to introduce the new major versions of our
music programs, and this for three main reasons :
First, these versions include half an hundred new features,
improvements and fixes. Update download is free of charge from our
A great part of the new features comes from users' suggestions made
in the Democratic Workshop, and we thanks them here.
We also wish to thank the active Beta-test team who worked hard
with us on this version.
Then, all our programs (9 titles) run from this date on Mac OS
At last, we celebrate this week our 14 years of activity. It is a
real satisfaction for us, because our longevity validates the
choices we made more than one decade ago : designing popular
software. Improvements come partly from the people through the
democratic workshop and our technical support, the products are
easily affordable by everybody, and they became popular because
their easiness and completeness.
Seing the thousands of people using them daily, we can now affirm
there is still space in the software industry for micro-structures
like ours, that evolves outside the usual distribution and
The 15th of April 2002,
- New interface (Windows only) The new interface system improves
the display quality and the available settings.
* Color number jumps from 256 to millions. The
score display is more precise and included pictures color
matching is better.
* Palette and menus are now translucent. You can
setup the transparency level in the general setup.
* You can switch between different themes
(skins). The Classic, XP and Magma themes are provided by default.
Theme switching is available in the program general setup. You will
be able to download more themes on our web site.
* Main color of each theme can be changed
* You can define your own theme. A special
chapter explains this.
* You can use a picture of your own on the
* Fonts used by the interface can be
Note : If your computer is slow, you can get back to the old
interface. Select "Classic" in the "Theme" panel (general setup)
and "Speed" in the "Interface" panel.
- Multi-windowing (Harmony only) Enable to split the document
window into several parts, in order to see and edit several areas
of the same score at the same time. Each part had its own scale and
display mode. This is very usefull to see and edit several pages
simultaneously. For example, you can have a window split in two,
showing you the same document in scroll mode and page mode. To
split a window, click on the little bar in the scroll bar and move
- New jukebox : Jukebow is managed as a standard window, and no
more as a modal dialog box.
It means when jukebox is open, you can still use document windows.
Double-click on a jukebox element opens the matching document file.
Several columns can be shown or hidden, and you can sort the
jukebox list in ascending or descending order according to several
You can display :
* File name
* Folder name
* Music style
* Last change date
* Lyrics presence
* Music duration
* Author Web page (a click on it open the
* Author e-mail (a click on it send a mail)
* File size on disk
* Music title
* Music composer
* Music remarks
* Time spend on the document
* Protect status
To change display mode :
* To select what column to display, open the
pop-up menu (green arrow at top left) and select the column to
* To change a column width, click its right
* To activate a column, click its title. Music
piece are sorted according to this column. When a new piece is
added, it is automatically inserted at the right position in the
* When a column is active, a little blue
triangle shows the sorting order : up triangle for increasing
order, down triangle for decreasing order. Click this triangle to
* To change column position, click its title
with shift key depressed, and drag the column.
All these display settings are saved in the .box file.
Typing characters on keyboard will make the program search for this
topic in the displayed information.
Here is a summary of keyboard keys that can be used in the jukebox
* Return : opens the selected document in an
* Esc : stops playing. If in a karaoke window,
stops the Karaoke.
* Spacebar : Starts/Stop playing
* Up arrow : previous file
* Down arrow : next file
* + : Adds a file to the playlist
* - or Shift+Del : Deletes the current file from
* Letter or number : adds this character to the
* Backspace : Deletes the last character in the
* Tab : Searches for the next file that matches
the current search string.
When exporting in "HTML plug-in" mode, pages that contains files of
more than a given number of Kb will be splitted. It is recommended
to generate pages that can be accessed through low-speed
- New file format(.mu3) This file format enables to export
Melody/Harmony documents so that digital tracks are internally
MP3-encoded. Space gain is about 1 to 10 according to the selected
quality level. The main use for this export format is file sharing
on the Web. All information about page setup and instruments are
kept as it would be in a regular .mus file.
You must keep in mind MP3 encoding is destructive. It is therefore
needed to keep the original file in .mus format for further
changes. Successive loading and saving will lead to a loss of
quality in digital track sound.
In mu3 format, custom digital instruments can also be MP3
- MUS saving (standard files) : non-destructive RLE encoding for
user instruments. It shrinks the standard files by about 20% when
they include custom digital instruments, without any loss of
- Using other musical fonts (Harmony only): It is now possible to
use another font than the STocatta to display music symbols. You
can define "charsets". Each staff in a document can have its own
charset. A charset can be made of characters coming from different
All this is available in the staff display setup dialog box.
Special note for Postscript export or Adobe Postscript :
When exporting in PostScript format, SToccata font is encapsulated
in the resulting file. Other fonts you are using cannot, because of
copyright reasonsTherefore, these fonts have to be installed on the
target system when the file is loaded.
Special note for the Myriad Music Plug-In: As extern font can't be
encapsulated in the music file, the MMPlug-in always use the
Stoccata even you use another Charset.
A new chapter in the manual describes this.
- Individual and global symbol size setting. Each note or rest has
its own display scale, from 20% to 200%. Note display tool palette
enables to set the scale for the symbol to be added. The "injector"
tool injects this scale to an existing symbol. You can also
double-click the symbol to edit its scale. To change scale for a
group of symbols, use "Edit>Appearance>General" : a common
scale will be applie to all selected symbols.
Note : Symbol scale has no effect on the way this symbol is
- Editing parameters through curves. Several curves can be related
to each staff. A curve describes the evolution of a parameter when
the piece is played. You can define the way volume, panning
position, frequency (pitch bend), distorsion, filtering, etc., or
even MIDI specific non-standard parameters are modified during
time. It enables, for example, to make the volume vary while a note
is played, to create complex pitch-bend, or to send specific
commands to a MIDI synthesizer. Curve selection is made through a
pop-up in the micro-icon formerly dedicated to velocity curve. For
example you can manage enhanced bend effect for guitar (pull,
release, sustain & complete release in a single effect).
A new chapter in the manual describes this
- New rules features
* To add quickly a note that belongs to a rule,
Shift+Click (or right-click) to open a pop-up menu. Select the
required rule in the list, the note will be added according to the
selected rules. When editing a note (double-click on the note
head), and this note belongs to a staff with rules, a pop-up menu
in the "General" panel enables to change quickly the rule this note
* New parameters for staff Rules. Note velocity
can be selected as a criterium. This allow you to enable different
samples for instruments, according to the played note velocity. For
example soft bass for low velocities, slap bass for strong
* Each rule can be non-blocking : when a note
matches the rule, search continues after this for all following
A rule can be set up so that notes
that match it are considered as the fundamental. When a note is
considered as the
fundamental, it becomes the root
note of the chord for all notes at the same time position for ALL
Above this, a new criterium has been
introduced : offset from the fundamental. By combining these two
criteria, it enables for example to change pitch for chord third
and fifth. This technique can be used for example in Barbershop
A new chapter in the manual describes this
- Tunes can be sorted by style. In order to ease pieces sorting, it
is now recommended to select, in "Title, composer.." window, the
category the piece belongs to. A piece can belong up to three
different categories. Pieces can be sorted this way in thejukebox
list, and HTML pages can also be created according to the style
- New note duration : breve and long. You can use the breve (twice
a whole note) and the long (four time a whole note). A new version
of the music font is provided. It must replace the previous
version in order to display these new symbols properly.
Note : When using a breve or a long, do not forget the bar duration
must be sufficient to accept it. If not, the note will be
- Previous bar repeat symbol (%), this tool is located in the note
duration tool palette. When this symbol is inserted in a bar, it
occupies the whole bar and repeats the previous one. Several "%"
symbols can be inserted one after the other, in order to repeat the
same bar several times. When printing (or in page mode), if the
"enable multi-repeat bars" is enabled, bars that are repeated
several times are merged in a single one according to the same
rules than empty bars (of course, they are *not* merged with empty
Two special cases can occur :
* Incomplete bars (upbeat, pickup). When the bar
that owns a repeat symbol is not the same size as the previous bar,
notes to be repeated are taken backwards to fill the bar. For
example, if the first bar is in 4/4 and the second one in 3/4 with
a repeat symbol, only the three last quarter notes of the first pr
bar will be repeated.
* On staves that are sung by Virtual Singer,
both notes and lyrics are repeated, except if you write new lyrics
under the repeat symbol. In this case, notes are the same, but
words are different. In this particular case, different time
signatures are not processed.
- Magnetic tool palettes. When moved, they stick to each other when
- Clef change anywhere in a bar. When you click with the "Clef
change" tool inside a bar, an incomplete bar is created at the time
position selected. The second bar created receive the Clef
- New setup for bar numbering : You can access to thos by
Command+Click in the ruler. You can exclude a bar from the bar
counting or restart the bar counter from any value. Very useful to
exclude an incomplete bar from the counting.
- Complete score editing from the computer keyboard. Up/Down arrow
to select note pitch, left/right to move cursor, and other keys to
insert a note, a rest, etc.
- Compound time signatures : Enables to write 3+1/4 instead of 4/4.
Number of reference notes per bar can now be up to 128 and the
number of reference note per whole note to 64.
- Engraver mode (Harmony only): lyrics texts are processed. Space
taken by lyrics can be set up in the engraver mode configuration
- New features for Free Texts : When inserting a free text, some
wildcards can be replaced by values that depends on the score. For
example, $B token is replaced by the current bar number, and
therefore enables to display bar bumber anywhere.
You can use :
$B : Display current bar number
$D : Current date
$F : File name
$H : Current hour and minutes
$T : Document Title
$$ : Dollar symbol
Note: Don't confuse Free Text (text object linked to the staff)
with Free Text Objects (texts linked to the page)
- Automatic note splitting : You can access this by
Command+Click in the ruler. It is now possible in each bar to avoid
too long notes to be splitted when going over the barline
- Computer keyboard setting window can be resized. User-defined key
sets can be saved and loaded. Key sets can be selected among
- Complete tuplet display. Enables for example to display "3:2"
over a triplet instead of only "3". Tuplet bracket display
can be masked.
- Enables to tie a note with the adjacent rest in order to increase
- MP3 export: encoding quality setting (bitrate) from 32kbs to 320
kbs. The higher quality, the longer resulting file.
- Internet links in document info : Each author can specify, in
"Title, composer, remarks...", his web page and e-mail addresses.
Anyone that loads the document can connect this Webpage or send him
an e-mail. This information is also displayed in the jukebox and
enables to do the same.
- Full path in title : This can be set up in global setup window.
The full path for the currently edited file is displayed in the
window title bar. Command+click (Ctrl+click or right-click on PC)
opens a menu that display the path elements. Select an element to
open this folder on your desktop.
- Force a number of pages, a number of staff groups and a number of
bar per row (Harmony only) : This can be set up through the page
mode setup menu. Page setup is adjusted so that number of pages,
number of staff groups and number of bars per row matches the
required values. In some cases, the program won't be able to reach
them exactly, and the closest possible values will be taken.
- Clef symbol size setting : Treble, bass or tenor clef symbol size
can be adjusted.
- Grid drum staff : Number of grid elements per beat can be changed
within the staff.
- Better tempo management. Tempo accuracy has been improved. Tempo
values are more precise that 1 (you can for example specify a tempo
of 100.25 quarter notes per minute). Loading or saving a midifile
provides exact duration.
- Better accuracy in digital export. Digital export (WAV, AIFF,
MP3...) provides a file with the exact duration. An option enables
to add a few seconds at the end to let the last notes "die".
- Global setup has been rewritten, and options have been sorted
- Click with the hammer on the ruler play the bars.
- For each tool palette, it is possible to decide whether the
document will avoid to be overlapped by it or not (when
maximizing the document window)
- Now possible to activate/deactivate effect display on staff
and/or its related tablature.
- Guitar effect palette : string numbers range is now 1 to 6
- Delete tool can be used to delete subdivisions of the chort
grid. (Harmony only)
- When the document uses fonts that are not installed on the
system, an alert box tells it to the user. It can be disabled in
- Better graphical location adjustment for texts, graphics, chord
diagrams, dynamics and effects. They can now be inserted on
bar margins. Movement is more accurate.
- New option for free objects : "display from page n to the
- Character '.' in file names.
- In page mode, when control handles are displayed, invisible clef,
key or time signature changes are displayed in light
- Better management for free texts on staves with lyrics
- Tied notes can be splitted by deleting the tie with the delete
- Command+L (Ctrl+L on PC) toggles tying on and off
- Global setting for tie line width.
- Soprano Ukulele tuning.
- Harmony : Lyrics displayed in Engraver mode.
- HA793a-05-648915 Windows : Problem when smoothed texts overlaps
the bottom of the application window
- MA593a-05-57186A Communication problem with OMeR
- Fixed : Harmony : Effects on notes in accompaniment patterns
- Fixed : Midifile loading when tracks are empty
- Fixed : Menu bar issues when multiple dialog boxes are open and
- HA793-8E-442FF7 : Editing operations in engraver mode
- Fixed : problems in music following box
- Instrument volume when exporting to Midifile now well
- Fixed : Selection range and copy/paste operations on multi-voice
- HA793a-94-5e22b5 : Harmony : Note tying on the last bar in page
- Harmony Assistant, page mode : issue when moving an object (text,
ottava...) over the last barline.
- Minor problems in menu enabling
- Problem after editing special settings of a staff rule
- Graphical artifact when adding a tie in smoothed mode.
- Better double-click management : double click on a note don't
move it anymore
- Staves with lyrics automatic
- Automatic formating of staves with lyrics
- Titles justification in page mide and printing
- Macintosh : User instrument recording.
- Barline at end of line when repeat start in next bar
- Precise display of notes on grid drum staves
- Grid drum staff display in engraver mode
- Verse numbers are ignored by the singer.
- Note pressure time is taken into account.
- On Macintosh, very old 68k computers are not still supported.
- For technical reasons, registration codes are changed. New free
codes are availabe here.
Windows version : start problems fixed
Palette issues (MacOS X) fixed
Karaoke issues (Mac OS X) fixed
Out of date versions of Virtual Singer are detected
Current theme storing (Windows) fixed
Default values for digital output setup fixed
Default scale value in "Note display" tools fixed
Wheelmouse management (Windows)
User palette problem fixed
MIDI echo problem fixed
Control Handle problem in print preview fixed
Interface problems fixed on Windows
Japanese Windows version problems fixed (fonts)
User instruments RLE encoding problem (clic at end) fixed
Freeze when music stops problem fixed on Mac OS X
Add note according to rule : enharmonics problem fixed
Grace note positionning when note stem is down
Maximum number of notes in a chord set to 64 instead of 10 (because
of some MIDIfiles)
Number of bars per line when multi-rest bars are present
Velocity-based rules : issues fixed
Palette updating after rule editing
Some window now open faster
Windows : master palette management issues fixed
Windows : color pictures in print preview, graphical export and
Windows : display size of some hierarchical menus
Password protection : empty passwords are not allowed
Fixed : tempo change in plug-in
Sound resource file format saving under Mac OS X
2/4 and 1/4 time signature saving in ABC file format
Staff type change from regular staff to digital track
Sound loading when custom sounds are made directly from a sound in
Check box management for enabling some rotative buttons
Problems in the step-by-step MIDI input mode
Problem with editing tempo change when reference note is not a
Unaccuracy in score tempo changes when general tempo is
Miscellaneous problems when moving tempo changes on score
Harmony Assistant : forcing number of bars per line : fixed
Problems for displaying accidentals on multi-voice staves
Tempo : mathematical unaccuracy, that can be heard above 4 mn when
playing digital tracks
Default position for "part end" symbol (does not overlap the next
Windows : Hanging on some PCs : fixed
Windows : Pop-up menu for font selection sometimes incomplete
Windows : Selection range management in some editable fields
Windows : Theme seeking on some versions of Windows
Windows : Digital file export (WAV, AIFF or MP3) for very short or
Windows : Rotative button display in the simple mixer
Windows : Problems for loading some Jukebox files
Windows : Problems when using the "Time slider" palette while
Jukebox is playing
Windows : Current bar number display in simple mixer
Windows : Crash when selecting "Print lyrics at the end" and no
lyrics has been typed in
Windows : Page Mode : moving objects (dynamics, texts, graphics)
outside the staff area
Windows : 8-bits user instrument storage in RLE packing
Windows : Crash when selecting some palettes from the master
Windows : Crash (rare) when closing a score, or quitting the
Harmony Assistant 7.9
Melody Assistant 5.9
This version mainly improves editing speed and easiness.
Objects are pointed in a more accurate way, the help window is more
detailed, and the mouse cursor shape is in perfect relation with
the command to be performed.
Automatic page setup when loading a midifile has been drastically
improved, and the screen font smoothing provides a nicer
appearance, especially in the Harmony Assistant's page mode.
New effect and note head shapes are introduced. For example, "free
text" effect is useful for relating a text to a note.
Rhythm creation has been made easier by providing a base of more
that 200 predefined rhythm patterns.
On the Virtual Singer side, the first version of RealSinger
technology is available. RealSinger enables you to define a Virtual
Singer voice based on recordings of your own voice.
Many improvements from the Democratic Workshop have been
- New mouse management : each action is explained by a different
mouse pointer shape. Help window is more relevant.
- Texts and musical symbol smoothing on screen. It improves score
viewing in page mode when scale is small. This can be disabled from
- When delete (lightning bolt) tool is selected, a selection range
can be specified so that it whole content is erased.
- "Hammer" tool can be used to specify a screen area to be
- "Injector" tool can be used to specify a screen area in which
notes are affected.
- Score object layers have been redefined. It eases, for example,
moving or deleting a note when overlapped by a dynamics.
Layer order is now : effects, grace notes, accidentals, note heads,
dynamics, chord diagrams, graphics then free objects.
- New command in Edit>Bar : Insert a bar at the end (Command or
Ctrl + I). Adds quickly a bar at end of score.
- An incomplete bar (also called anacrusis, upbeat or pickup note)
can be inserted quickly. Open the ruler menu or select
"Edit>Bar>Insert incomplete bar".
- When moving an effect, grace note or accidental, the matching
note is highlihted
- Note splitting can be deleted by clicking on the tie
- Keyboard shortcuts to play metronome, loop playing and selection
- You can use special keys (Macintosh : Shift, Option / Windows :
left shift, right shift) in keyboard shortcuts to multiply the
number of available shortcuts.
- In the Harmony "Score" menu, a new sub-menu called "Page mode
setup" enables to modify quickly the most common parameters of page
setup. Because page mode reflects what will be printed, it also
affect printing output.
- Effect palette. When you select the "Text" effect, a double click
on the palette edit the text and its style.
- When you click on the icon used to change the staff editing mode
(symbols, velocities, delais ...) with the shift key down, this
affect all the selected staves. If no staves are selected, this
affect all staves.
Music playing :
- When empty bars are displayed as a single bar, location in played
score loops graphically on this bar.
- A Drum set is provided in the "Drums" folder.
To use this set, click on the "Preset" button while editing a Drum
Matrix element (Harmony Assistant).
You can also import one of these files and copy/paste the staves
into you document. To add your own drum model, save your file in
the "Drums" folder.
- Note effects : unlimited number on each note. Color and font can
be selected individually.
- New effect : "character string" : you can link one or more short
texts (max : 16 characters each) to each note. Each string color
and font can be selected as needed.
- Special barlines (repeat ...) color can be selected
- New note head shapes for drums. They appear in the note display
- Staff names can be written on several lines
- Abbreviated staff name. If an abbreviated name is defined in the
staff display box, it is used on all staff groups other than the
first one on printed score.
- Keyboard shortcut printing also prints the available Command
(Ctrl) + keys.
- In the appearance section of the general setup you can define the
break symbol barline width.
- New attribute for the rest : invisible rest.
- Improveddisplay of loaded MIDI files
- Accidentals are moved to avoid overlapping when loading a MIDI
- Alert box that warns a file has been modified and not saved (can
be activated in Global Setup>Save) enables now to save the file
-To quicklyimport instruments from another documents, select
"Instruments>Import instruments". You will be able to select one
instrument or more and import them in your tune. With this feature
you can create you own instrument set. Some special set are
provided on the Myriad CDROM, "Special Stuff" folder.
- Automatic Jukebox list build now accepts .kar files
MIDI output :
- Advanced Midi setup window enables to send external Sync (MTC)
events, to synchronize MIDI devices that manage this protocol.
Virtual Singer :
- First Real Singer version. Real Singer allow you to use
your own voice. Predefined voices will be available soon on the
Virtual Singer web page. You can record you voice and send us the
- In the Virtual Singer palette a progress bar show you the
computed voice (in green), the total duration to compute (blue) and
the already played duration (yellow). If the position in the tune
reach the computed position, the voice will stop and the progress
bar is displayed in red. In this case decrease the slider
- Master palette : sub-palettes are no more opened outside
- OMeR connection
- Staff symbol size now also affects the text that displays number
of empty bars.
Mac OS X.1 update :
- Preferences in the application menu
- "Help" menu has been set up
- MIDI IN echo
- Speed enhancement
Note: If you are using Mac OS X.1 or X.1.1 the send mail feature
and automatic update won't work. This is a bug in Mac OS X. Apple
tells this bug will be fixed soon.
Windows Update :
- Fixed real-time Midi input timing
- Successfully tested under Windows XP
- Font smoothing is available according to your version of Windows
(from Windows 95+Windows Plus to Windows XP)
- Myriad Music plug-in : included patch to make it work under
Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 and IE 6.
- Dialog boxes and buttons redrawn to be more compatible with the
current Windows look and feel
- Default dialog box and menu fonts chosen according to the OS (MS
Sans Serif for Windows 95 & 98, Tahoma for Windows 2K and
- Speed enhancements
Version 7.9.1, 5.9.1 :
- Documentation corrections
- Miscellaneous translations
- Correction : engraver mode.
- Correction : volume display on mixer while loading file with
- Correction : notes setup while document playing
- Correction : shifting singer backward in the VS palette
- HA 8E-5897C9 : Digital track normalise
- HA 05-44431A : Full bar icon display.
- HA 90-5F23C0 : Engraver mode computation
- HA 94-500761: Lyric line editing
- MA 05-594c01 : Progress bar in VS palette
- MA 90-51FBBB : Problem when loading some files
- Windows : Note head display problem in graphical export and
- Windows : Wheel mouse problem fixed
- Macintosh : New compile option (Generic PPC) to try to fix a
problem with the very old Power Mac (PPC 601)
Version 7.9.2 :
- Correction: locating notes with inverted head in chord
- Correction : managing documents generated by OMeR in
- Correction : RMTF loading
- Correction : Stem height while MSF loading
- Correction : graphical problem while moving bar line
- Correction : lyrics scrolling while recording in Karaoke
- Windows 98 : Problem of missing characters with HP printer
- Add : Harmony page mode, double click on a header or footer edit
Version 7.9.3 :
- Various buffer overflow issues in ABC file format import
- m592-05-040b1be / h792-05-004017a1 : crash when playing tune
using Virtual Singer after having exported it in midifile
- Windows : problem for exiting from "crash trap" window
- m592-05-0445daf / h792-05-00567848 : Problem when importing a
staff that is part of a multi-voice staff.
- Problem in triplet grouping when triplet notes are part of a
- Problem in triplet grouping when adjacent notes are dotted
- Macintosh : Moving palettes on multi-screens
- Undo "Import staves"
- Lyrics in some MIDI files
- Targeted note in some scores when engraver mode is on.
- Windows : Adobe EPS (epsf) Export
- Time slider problem fixed
Harmony Assistant 7.8
Melody Assistant 5.8
- Engraver mode is now available in Harmony Assistant. In engraver
mode, notes are no more spaced by a distance that is proportional
to their duration : score display is nicer.
- Free objects are a new type of text, graphics or score object
that can be embedded anywhere on page.
- Batch file processing. A new option in the Jukebox action meny
enables to apply graphical changes to all files in the list
according to a template. (Harmony only)
- Smart positionning for staff name. Staff names can be moved
horizontally and vertically on page. Can be adjusted either by
editing graphical parameters, or in page mode (Harmony only) by
clicking and dragging the name.
- In Harmony page mode, when control handles are masked, clicking
and dragging Title, composer and remarks moves them on page.
- PICT export improvement (Windows version)
- New option in Global Setup, "Midi" index : Midi channel conflicts
can be solved automatically when saving file.
- Virtual Singer : English diphthongs transition improvement, other
- When chord grid ot lyrics are printed alone, a header and footer
are now added to the page.
- EPS export : embedded graphics are now properly exported, in
- New chapters in user manual : Engraver mode, free objects, batch
processing, microtonal adjustments, alternate tuning
- Lyrics in Midifiles, type 1 and 0.
- Specific problems under Mac OS X.
- Dynamics when moved from one staff to another
- Virtual Singer : interference problems from a singer to another,
and loss of sync.
- Virtual Singer : microtonal adjustments provide now the same
frequency as when applied to an unsung note.
- Tempo management (and simultaneous use of tempo change and
- Problems when moving bar number line.
- Harmonica tablatures - fixed
- Colour and display of vertical lines on staff.
- Break/Repeat symbols colour
- New look and feel for Master Palette
- New option for "Edit>Action" : "Apply phrasing". This option
applies a selectable pressure time according to slur symbols on
score. It enables for example to apply reed instrument
- Now possible to cancel changes applied to notes appearance
- When editing staff display parameters, effect on score can be
- New parameter for stringed instrument tablature calculation :
penalty for unused string in a chord. It avoids several consecutive
strings on a same chord are separated by a string that must not bne
- Fixed : file loading when including a lute tablature
- Fixed : Barline width.
Program update for Mac OS X.1
- MIDI in and out management. (Ensure you are using X.1 and that
your MIDI drivers are designed for this version)
- Access to manual from the program.
- Printing tests.
- Help on menu items
- Folder selecting in digital preferences.
Harmony Assistant 7.7
Melody Assistant 5.7
Harmony Assistant 7.7.3 - Melody Assistant 5.7.3, August 24
- Melody player : digital output setup is now properly saved
- Symbol change parameter dialog box : keeps values when panel
- Grace note panel enhancement
- New keyboard shortcuts : page up,down, left and right
- Multiple Fermata problem fixed.
- (Harmony only) Street organ filter : octave shifting option for
- Page mode : shows ghost rests when contol handles are
- "Change ghost rest in rest" is now available from the "Staves"
menu and can be applied to several staves
- Multirests can be splitted : Command+Click (right-click) on the
ruler provides a new menu option.
- File>Information menu is now divided in chapters
- File>Information>Staves locates and displays incomplete
bars (bars with notes and ghost rest)
- Fix : page mode when no printer is selected.
- Fix : Print and page mode, bracket and braces on merged
- You can now reduce the height of a staff below the second lyric
Harmony Assistant 7.7.2 - Melody Assistant 5.7.2, August 6
- Cautionary accidental without parenthesis.
- Graphics on staves.
- Tempi improvement
- Slur and tuplet on rests
Harmony Assistant 7.7.1 - Melody Assistant 5.7.1, 3rd of August,
- Stem direction on tablature
- Symbol change : effect setup.
* New look and feel for selected symbol
appearance change. Now an effect can be added to all notes, a given
effect type can be deleted or its location changed, break symbol
text style can be modified, etc. Changes apply to the selection
* Harmony only : These changes can apply only to
the notes in the selection range which match a given pitch
criterium. For example "C, D, G" to affect all C, D and G notes in
the selection range, "C3-A3" to affect all notes of third octave,
etc. A pitch shift value can be applied to these notes.
* Edit>Action menu : global change of
selected slur direction.
* Harmony only : Pressure time and delay can be
edited directly on score. The staff contextual menu granted access
to graphical editing of notes velocity. Now it also enables to edit
pressure time and delay. For each note appears an horizontal blue
line, which shows the beginning of the note (delay) and its end
(pressure time). Click this line to change these values.
* When a transposing instrument is applied to a
staff, and this instrument is also used in another staff, the
instrument is duplicated and only its copy is affected.
* Chord diagrams for any stringed instruments
(Bass, Dulcimer, Banjo, Mandoline, etc)
* Arpeggio effect to arpeggiate a chord (from
loud to treble or treble to loud)
* New staff graphical attribute : free notation.
In free notation, barlines are not displayed anymore, and notes
which go over a barline are not splitted.
* Now possible to disable printing of vertical
lines at the extreme left and right of each staff line on page.
* Now possible to disable rest display on a
staff : mainly useful for masking rests on merged staves.
* Fine adjustment of symbols size in staff
* Fine adjustment of extra lines when a note is
displayed above or below the staff regular lines.
* Accidental can be displayed between
parenthesis (generally used for cautionary accidentals)
* Negative note delay, note can be played before
its theorical time position.
* Marks : Mezzo staccato, Staccatissimo, Marcato
tenuto, Marcato staccato, Martelato tenuto, Martelato staccato,
Staccattissimo tenuto and Staccattissimo martelato are
* New parameters for rules.
* Microtonal pitch adjustment (new
* Commas fine pitch adjustment
* Macintosh only : Now possible to disable the
alert box saying music cannot be played correctly
* Multiple backup copies
(Configuration>Global setup>Save). Several successive
versions of your music files can be kept on hard disk (.BAK
* You then keep automatically all versions of
your work. Default instrument when loading an ABC file can be
defined (Configuration>Global setup>Load)
* Overblow and overbend on priority Harmonica
* Digital export in 8 bits, mono : data loss has
* Chord diagrams in chord line on first bar.
* Multiple page printing.
* We changed our Web server the 1st of July,
2001. It made the automatic update and automatic e-mail features
not to work anymore. This has been fixed in this new version.
Harmony Assistant 7.6
Melody Assistant 5.6
* First version of
the Myriad Music Plug-In to publish music scores on the Web.
HTML export : export for the Myriad Music Plug-In. A dedicated
chapter in the manual explains this.
* Note Echo. Now
immediate. When dragging a note, or moving mouse cursor over
the score, note sound is heard. A new tab index in the Global Setup
enables to configure this feature.
* "Time slider" palette
to go quickly to a given position in the music piece.
* Moving and resizing
several objects at the same time. When several objects are
selected, either by individual selecting or by area, moving or
resizing an object with Shift key depressed propagates the change
to all other selected objects of the same type.
* Changing stem
length of a note in the selection range with Shift key down applies
this length to all other notes in the selection range.
* Sound database can be
selected in "Configuration" menu, which enables to test your pieces
with different sound bases.
* Score menu : Fast
* Edit>Action menu :
All stems up, all stems down.
* Printing options :
justify last system.
* Option to display bar
number after the key signature.
* Proxy management for
sending e-mails and automatic update (Macintosh)
* New way of finding
default web browser (Macintosh)
* Keyboard shortcuts for
Fast Transpose and Stem direction change.
First Carbon version for Mac OS 8, 9 et X
has been tested with CarbonLib 1.2.5 (OS 8.6, 9.0 & 9.1)
and Mac OS X (10.0.2)
issues can be encountered. They are probably due to the fact MacOS
X and the Carbon Library are not really completed by Apple.
We wish the
next versions of MacOS X will be more stable, faster and at least
that the following issues will be fixed.
Here is then
the list of what you do not need to report to our technical support
- OS X,
Impossible to open directly manual files with IE . (LaunchUrl does
not accept a local file as parameter)
- OS X,
Scroll bar overlaps its arrows in some cases
(GetThemeScrollBarTrackRect wrongly implemented in the system)
- OS X,
Icons placement in Finder windows : Finder management by
AppleScript partially implemented.
- OS X,
Impossible to select parameters in digital input setup (not
- OS X, no
hardware Midi management : not managed by the system.
* Fixed : issues when
transposing in minor keys. Key signature change window has been
* Gregorian staves
editing : unwanted program terminations have been fixed.
* Printing : problem
when printing a page range (from n to m) fixed.
* Minimal distance
between lyrics now works properly.
* Edit chords as text
muted the related staff. Fixed.
* At the end of Virtual
Singer processing, it sometimes displayed "ReadFlux : read
error " and other messages. Fixed.
* Crash when moving
notes on tempo staff. Fixed.
* When a staff with
lyrics included many lyrics lines, which overlapped the next staff,
it was not possible to edit notes on this next staff. Priority have
been changed to enable editing.
* Rule names were not
* It was not possible to
setup staff lines on a staff with rules (crash & error
* Start/stop of Midi
input through the keyboard shortcut did not work.
* Windows : at several
places in the software, accented characters display has been fixed.
(info/miscellaneous editing/Page footer...)
* Windows 2000 & NT
: Japanese font seeking has been fixed.
Japanese characters display should now be fixed. On Japanese
versions of MacOS, use now "Launch Japanese version" to start the
software from a Japanese system.
Harmony Assistant 7.5
Melody Assistant 5.5
New features :
Page mode (Harmony only)
• Page mode for editing the score.
• Screen resolution (DPI) can be
• In page mode, icons at bottom of the
document window provide shortcuts to page setting, zoom or
displayed page number
• In magnifying glass mode, mouse click
with Alt key depressed enable to slide the display area.
• New management for chords related to a
staff. Now they can be edited.
• Chords related to a staff can now be
played automatically along with the music (Harmony only)
• Diatonic Accordion Tablature (Harmony
• Priority can be set to Harmonica
tablature. It is now possible to enter a harmonica tablature
directly (without having to deal with the regular music
• Dots for dotted notes on a guitar
tablature are now displayed beside the stem, which is more
• Pop-up menu related to a note (in
priority guitar tablatures) includes the automatic search for other
fingering for this note.
• New display options for tablatures :
stems above or below the staff, rest display or not.
• Staff lines display can be adjusted.
One-line staves can be created.
• Staff can be split according to stems
• In "Edit" menu, a menu option called
"Align" enable to align selected objects.
• Shift + click (right mouse button on PC)
on a note, opens a menu to change quickly note features.
• New action in the popup menu related to
the note : double stem.
• New menu : duplicate staff.
• If the shift key is down when you change
a bar length, all the bars of the score are changed
• When you add a new staff to the score,
the staff is inserted after the selection range, so you can insert
a staff in the middle of the score.
• When more than one staff is selected
when you change a staff height, all the selected staff are
• If the shift key is down when you change
a staff height, all the heigths of the score are changed.
•Default page header and footer in
"Printing" tab of global setup. This header and footer are
used while creating a new document, or when loading a file other
than .MUS, as MID, ABC, etc.
• Title for lyrics line.
• New management for Fermata.
• When defining the graphic appearance of
the staff, minimal distance between syllables can now be set.
• Global setup>Fonts : pop-up meny font
can be selected (font, size, style)
• For each graphics on score, can now
select whether background must be erased or not.
• In the menu of the staff you can now ask
for hiding all objects : text, graphics, effects, dynamics
• New mini-icons in the staff margin :
rules editing and chord line settings.
• New keyboard shortcut for
enabling/disabling MIDI note-by-note input. Enables to play your
MIDI keyboard without inserting notes on score.
• When you add a grace note to the score,
the default values are set to the last grace note edited.
• Starting octave has been changed.
• Lyrics printed at the end of the
score : it is now possible to specify another style for displayed
and printed lyrics. Click on the lyrics area in page mode or in the
• Manual has been reorganized.
• New document background pictures.
• New action on selection range :
Edit>Actions>Change notes to rests.
• New version of the Classical Jukebox
(CD-ROM only) with a wide set of classical guitar pieces.
• New management for parts
• New management for automatic
Bug fix :
• "!" characters are now ignored while
loading an ABC file
• Fix : chord diagrams were in some cases,
substituted by equivalent diagrams. It won't occur anymore : it
will keep the diagram you inserted.
• ABC format : chord grid related to the
staff is now loaded and saved.
• MIDI loading : SysEx skipping has
been fixed, loading has been sped up, and big size musics are now
• 12-holes chromatic harmonica tuning has
• Problems with undo and modified document
indicator have been fixed.
Sub version 7.5.1:
- Fixes on language resources (item shifts, help line)
- Staff lines Load and save
- Error messages while starting program fixed.
Sub version 7.5.2:
- "Play" palette status is now ok after a digital track
- Street Organ printing, new starting octave, minor
- Drum grids : copy/paste problems fixed.
- Digital tracks : copy/paste, undo/redo problems fixed.
- Tablature : popup problems fixed.
- Key change problems fixed.
- Tablature computation improvement : negative penalty give
a better result.
- Key change, dialog box change.
- New option to hide/show palettes.
- Shortcuts on palette menu.
- Selection range after selecting a key signature :
- Digital track mark improvement
- Velocity range on selection : fixed.
Sub version 7.5.3:
- Window version : Band in a Box file loading fix.
- Window version : Street organ editing fix.
- Selecting notes fixes.
- Spanish language fixes.
Sub version 7.5.4:
- Mac OS 9.1 integrity problem fixed
- Workaround for HP Laserjet bugged drivers on Windows
- ABC load and save fixes.
- Dimmed palettes problem fixed.
- Keyboard shortcut on protected files
- Play music improvement on Windows 2000/NT
• Virtual Singer 1.2
New languages : Italian, Finnish and Japanese (Romaji
French pronunciation of conjugated verbs ending with "-ai" has been
Some phonemes have been improved.
Harmony Assistant 7.4
Melody Assistant 5.4
• New break symbols management . Breal symbols tool palette
has been splitted into two : a tool palette with all the barlines
(repart start, repeat end, piece start, piece end, bold line, etc.)
and another tool palette with parts, jumps and targets.
User manual has been completed to explain the way these new break
symbols work. (N.B: old files are automatically converted to the
• New jumps and targets : Segno, Coda, jump to coda, Da
Capo , Da segno ... All these symbols of jump and target are
available and interpreted. Display and way of playing for these
symbols can be modified. It is now possible to set finely their
graphical location on score.
• New printing module :
- Clef at the beginning of each line is
- Jumps and targets can be printed on each staff
or only on the first one.
- Empty bars can be replaced by a single one
with a multi-rest
- Number of empty bars required to be replaced
can be selected
- In a staff group, empty staves can be not
- When a whole group is empty, it can be not
- Staff groups can be distributed vertically on
- Minimal distance between staff groups can be
- Title, composer and remarks for a piece can be
moved on the first page : click and drag their area in the print
- Command (Ctrl) +'0' sets the print preview
zoon to 100%
- Command (Ctrl) + '+' and Command (Ctrl) + '-'
increases and decreases the zoom factor.
- In print preview, drag the control handles
(little red & blue triangles) to change staves and bars size.
Control handle display can be deactivated..
• For each bar in the score, start and end margins can be
adjusted. Use one of the small red triangles under the ruler to
change the size of the left or right margin.
Bar size adjustment window (right-click or Command (Ctrl)+ click in
the ruler) enables to change margins and scale factor for all the
• Graphical export in BMP format.
• Export and import in RMTF (Rich Midi Tablature Format).
This format allows exchanges with Tablature Programs like Tabledit,
• New scrolling mode : when music is played, score display
can be centered on the middle of the window (See Global
• You can now define the document default background
color (See Global Setup>Appearance)
• From the print preview, page(s) can be exported in several
graphical formats : EPS, Adobe-specific EPS,Window Meta File, Pict,
Important note: When exporting a page from the print preview, size
and number of dot per inches is the one of your printer. If you
want to export pages with another paper size or resolution, use
• A new entry in the barlines palette enables to reset the
barline to its standard value. (N.B. it is still possible to go
back to the standard barline by deleting the current barline with
the delete -bolt- tool)
• Virtual Singer : new language : Spanish
• Tab text files loading : Unix text format is now
• Midi loading :
- new method for finding the most appropriate
clef for a staff
- staves are now loaded in the same order as
they are stored in a file (except for Karaoke files, in which the
sung staff is always displayed at the document top)
- Staff names are better searched.
• Messages for street organ card filters have been fixed.
• Bar number is now printed in the useable part of stret
• Some Tab files are now loaded better.
• On Macintosh PPC, crash when recording digital audio has
• Problem with som horizontal lines in EPS export has been
• User instrument editing/importing should have been
• Windows : problem in file selection box (All files option)
and in WAV export should have been fixed
• Midi Inport and Export
Harmony Assistant 7.3
Melody Assistant 5.3
• Virtual Singer plug-in. The Virtual Singer make your
computer sing the lyrics.
• You can now edit the sliders values. Clic on the value
displayed and change the value with the keyboard. Hit "Enter" or
"Esc" to exit this mode. Use TAB to go to the next slider.
• Icon editing : PICT and BMP file inport
• Karaoké mode : When repeat symbols are enclosing a
chorus part, it is not necessary to write a line of lyrics for each
time this part is played. If no lyrics are written on a line, texts
of the line above are played again.
• New Harmonica tablature display.
• New Export EPS compatible with the recent Adobe products
(Illustrator 8 and Photoshop 5.5)
• Automatic scrolling while lyrics editing.
• Deleting empty staves don't remove anymore the digital
• ABC Load : key changes, part repeat, beams...
Harmony Assistant 7.2
Melody Assistant 5.2
• New fasola (shape notes) notation : Walker, Funk and
• Street organ filter : notes can be now colorized (Harmony
• You can now add an ABC file to the Jukebox, all tunes
included in the file will be played. In the Jukebox, ABC tunes are
played with a Piano sound. You can change this setup by editing the
"ABC.mus" file ("Data" folder)
You can drag and drop files from the desktop to the jukebox
• Karaoke windows setup is now saved.
• New chord calculation : chords can be searched from outside
the current key signature.
• When loading a karaoke Midi file, the most probable staff
for the sung part is proposed.
• When editing bar size with "change bar widths", all
selected bars of the score are changed.
• Key signature enhancement
• Problems in defining a custom digital instrument are
Harmony Assistant 7.1
Melody Assistant 5.1
• New digital sound bases, with an enhanced quality.
• A default effect processor can be defined for each digital
• Empty bars can be merged into only one while printing.
• SoundFont format (*.sf2) instrument import
• In the complete mixer, activity, volume or panning of all
staves can be set at the same time : click with the Shift key
• Lowest and highest note search in the whole score or the
selection range. (See "Edit>Search" menu)
• New module in effect processor : Equalizer
• Advanced Midi output settings : Midi events sent to each
Midi output can be filtered.
• New (nicer) mouse pointer management
• Monaural MP3 encoding now supported.
• Spanish version updated.
• Empty document creation when program starts can be
• Implicit transposition of regular notation in
• New transposition options in transposing instruments.
• New 'scroll tune' mode : the music scroll now in
• Kar files with multi-lyrics loading and saving
• New accidental mode: when a note is added the accidental is
automaticaly disabled. You can select this mode in
'Configuration>General Setup>Edit>One shot accidental'
• New articulations : Marcato, Pause, Grand Pause, Heel
• New palette : Master Palette, open and close quickly the
• Digital post-processing : compressor (AGC) enhanced
• Editing problems
• Printing problems
• ABC loading
Harmony Assistant 7.0
Melody Assistant 5.0
• Internet connection. Directly from the program you can send
us an e-mail, go to our web page or update the program.
• Digital Tracks. You can add digital audio tracks recorded
from an audio CD or a microphone to your documents.
• New MIDI Input. You can input MIDI from your MIDI keyboard
in real-time while music playing.
• MP3 format import and export.
• New mixer palette.
• Documentation search by keywords
• Document background pattern, selection color and lines
• Notes stem height, accidental position, rest position can
be changed directly on the score
• Graces notes can be added, deleted, edited directly on the
Harmony Assistant 6.3
Melody Assistant 4.3
• Digital effects processor can be applied anywhere on score
: reverb, flanger, chorus, wah, overdrive...
• Palette settings can be loaded and saved.
• User palette can be loaded and saved.
• MIDI output can now be synchronized with digital output :
you can use these two kind of output at the same time.
• Copy and Erase operations can ignore objects other than
notes and rests.
• Fine general tempo adjustment
• Selective staves import from another music file.
New for Melody Assistant :
• MIDI output is now available on Macintosh. Please refer to
the OMS documentation for more details about how it works.
• Simple MIDI note input is available on Melody
(Configuration>Edit keyboard). MIDI sequence direct input is
reserved to Harmony Assistant.
• Two new palettes MIDI monitor and MIDI keyboard, to follow
the MIDI output status, see in real-time the keyboard fingering or
enter notes from the virtual keyboard.
• New management for digital output. Supports now more
accurate settings, for example master tuning (440Hz A) or response
• 3 MIDI devices can be connected at the same time. Each MIDI
output can be resynchronized : a delay can be set for each MIDI
• When selecting a note duration, dot is deactivated.
• On a tablature staff, semitone shifting changes cell
• Now possible to merge several staves with lyrics.
• Pause button in Karaoke window.
• Multi-screen management on Macintosh.
Main fixes :
• ABC loading : key signatures, slurs.
• Copy-paste on several staves in a row.
Harmony Assistant 6.2
Melody Assistant 4.2
• New display mode for bar
• Multi-voice staves.
Harmony Assistant 6.2.2, Melody Assistant 4.2.2
• First version of the stand-alone player : Melody Player
• Lyrics text input improvement.
• Midi input fixed.
Harmony Assistant 6.2.1, Melody Assistant 4.2.1
• New management of dash/underline in lyrics
• Problem w/ variable width bars : fixed
• Problem w/ staff group editing : fixed
• Non-matching menu help texts : fixed
• Problem w/ tempo change while playing music : fixed
• Noise at the end of some digital exports : fixed
• Problems w/ Macintosh 68K code : fixed
Harmony Assistant 6.1
Melody Assistant 4.1
Many important changes and new capabilities in this version
- clef and signature changes anywhere on score,
- new kind of clefs,
- new palette for dynamics,
- new MIDI loading,
- new palette for tempo and ottava,
- gregorian notation
- tablatures for baroque instruments...
• New Clefs/Signatures :
A new palette, Clef / Signatures, provides three new
tools : clef change, key signature change and time signature
For each Clef / Signature change, you can select :
A dedicated documentation is provided.
- Clef shape : Treble, Bass or C
- Line offset : from -5 to +5 lines
- Octave offset : 15mb,8vb,8va,15ma
- Key signature : for each scale degree, you can specify an
- Each element can be displayed or not.
Key display can now be relative to the previous key signature
according to three working modes.
Delete tool can delete individually clef, key or time
For example, it's now possible to start a staff with a treble
key, and to change to bass clef some bars later.
You can insert Dynamics anywhere on score. A Dynamics
changes notes velocity (strngth). A new tool has been created, and
a dedicated documentation is provided.
• Octave offset
You can insert an octave offset (Ottava) anywhere on
score. This octave offset modifies notes pitch.
A new tool has been created, and a dedicated documentation is
You can insert an tempo change (rough or smooth change)
anywhere on score.
A new tool has been created, and a
dedicated documentation is provided.
Pedal on and off indicators are not linked to notes
anymore. You can now insert them anywhere on score, even where
there is no note.
• Transposing instruments : you can set a staff to be
played by a transposing instrument. Several preset transposing
instruments are provided, but you can define your own.
•Gregorian notation, with specific tool palette and
menu options. Examples are provided, as well as a dedicated
• New Models (Templates) management : selection
window shors a list of templates sorted by theme. You can add very
easily your own templates by using File>Export>Model.
• Brackets and Braces (systems and groups)
are displayed on screen and can be modified directly.
• Lute Tablature (baroque notation)
• New symbols for classical guitar
• Appalachian (mountain) Dulcimer
• New parameters for defining a
user fretted strings instrument.
Tablature calculation now manages instruments with one
or more shorter strings (like banjo).
• New MIDI loading : note appearance is enhanced,
effects are recognized and played. Dynamics and tempo variations
are recognized and displayed. MIDI drum tracks can be converted in
a single standard drum staff.
Tablature now enables several notes of same pitch played in a
• Object select : a new "Edit" menu option enables
to select the whole objects of a given type (graphics, chord
diagrams, texts, dynamics...) to cut or erase globally.
• New help system : A new little icon for acessing
the right chapter in the software manual has been added to main
• ABC loading and saving
• Graphical enhancement of notes
• New printing module
• Classical staff can be displayed with a tablature
• New chapters in documentation.
• Staff name display and printing can be set up
• States of various palettes are kept when quitting and
running the application again.
Main fixes :
• File creation date has been fixed.
• MOD file loading fixed (was truncating some files).
Harmony 6.0.0 - Melody
4.0.0 (September 99)
• Digital Export in MPEG (MP3) format
• Connection with OMeR, (printed score optical
• Multi-instrument staves : until now, only one
instrument could be related to a given staff. Now, several
instruments can be used in a single staff. To do this, rules can be
defined in the staff, to link instruments to notes according to the
note head's shape, note pitch or color. (Staff menu>Edit rules).
For example, it enables creating standard drum staves.
• Standard drum staves
• "Humanize" tool has been enhanced and enables to apply
• User's manual has been rewritten to be more
user-friendly. It's now provided in hypertext (HTML format)
• Import and Export menus
have been reorganized.
• ABC Format : Loading and saving of multi-staff
• Unregistered version of the software enables to
export the beginning of the tune.
• In print preview and graphical export, page view
zoom can be selected. Zoom can be changed with keys Command (Ctrl)
'+', Command (Ctrl) '-' and Command (Ctrl) '0'
• Mice with scroller (Wheelmouse PC) are managed by
• Accidental can be forced. A forced accidental (or
precaution accidental) is displayed even when not necessary.
• Lyrics can be centered under the note on score.
(Select 'Justify center' in lyrics editing in the staff's menu)
• Note accidentals can be deleted with the delete
• New parameters in grace note display : crossed
single note, several duration, horizontal hitching, optional tie
symbol display. It will be useful for bagpipers !
• Improvement of playing
progression bar accuracy, of Karaoke fine location and level
display in mixer.
• It's now possible to select a stem direction definitely
(can't be recalculated unless specifically asked)
Main fixes :
• Karaoke loading problems fixed.
• Some help texts corrected.
• Street organ filter doesn't process tempo staff
• Long character strings saving in MIDI format has been
• Double-bar is now well printed when at the end of line.
• Tempo now saved in MIDI0 format.
• Some drum staves stored in Midifiles are now loaded
• Problems of tune loop when a "tune start" break symbol is
present now fixed.
• An unwanted empty bar was
sometimes added at the end of the tune when printing. Fixed.
• Graphics and chord diagrams were shifted when printing.
Harmony 5.4.0 (May
Spanish version :
Yannick Marchegay translated for you the whole software and
documentation in Spanish.
Dotted notes are displayed on tablatures when duration display is
Juke-box window is now resizeable.
It's now possible to indent on printed score the first group of
staves on the first page.
Problem with part start/end break symbols
Problems of printing while some key changes are present on the
score are fixed.
"Mandolin" sound can now be used.
Jukebox list HTML export : special characters in filenames are
Harmony 5.3.0 (April
First Japanese version :
The J-Team, under the direction
of Rj, has just completed the Japanese translation : user's
manual and software are entirely translated in Japanese.
Some advice however :
To make the Japanese version run properly, a
Japanese font must be installed first on your system ("MS Gothic"
font or any other Japanese Unicode font). For space and copyright
purposes, we can't include these fonts into the software. However
you can download the "MS Gothic" font on the Microsoft site (this
font is included into a Japanese language add-on for Microsoft
If you create
Karaoke files with Japanese texts, you must always read these files
in Japanese language, or some unrequired character translation may
Now possible to insert free texts on staves
Effects associated to a note can now be
displayed on the left and on the right of the note. Their offset
can be selected on both horizontal and vertical axis.
New font identifier processing in texts, to
improve font matching from a computer to another.
You can now select the font you want to be
displayed in the program's menu bar and dialog boxes.
Go to "Configuration>Global setup", "Misc"
Break symbols : shape and text display can be
activated or deactivated individually.
Some problems of cut/paste from or to a
tablature staff are now fixed.
To allow the program to manage non GM/GS
synthesizers (for example Yamaha XG series) "bank" numbers have
been extended to 16 bits. If you want to use a given non GM/GS MIDI
instrument, read your synthesizer's user manual, and find the three
values "program change", "bank MSB" and "bank MSB" matching this
Then, under the program :
- Relate "Midi" output device to all your
- Switch your instrument in "non-standard"
- In the "Program" field enter the "program
change" value plus 1
- In the "Bank" field, enter the value :
"bank LSB" x 128 + "bank MSB"
Harmony 5.2 (March 15th
It's now possible to
define page header and footer, with specific margins, text
inserting, date, time, file name, page number and total number of
There are several printing setup by document,
so that score printing, graphical export and street organ cards can
be configured independently.
New "Print" menu and new ergonomics : print
preview is accessed directly and printing options (margins, printer
setup) can then be accessed from the print preview.
A new font (SToccata) is now installed. It
should solve some graphical export problems and bring several new
It's now possible to protect document
loading, saving, modifying, export and printing.
You'll be able, for example, to build a file
readable and playable by everyone, but which can only be printed,
modified or saved by yourself. ("File>Protect")
It's now possible to define chord diagrams
for guitar, bass, lute, mandolin, ukulele, banjo, balalaika, domra,
etc. and this for any tuning.
Chord diagrams for each instrument can be
saved in a separate file. If you build a chord base, send it to us,
so that it can be proposed by default to other users.
Notes on a staff can be displayed in format
"4 Shape Note", "7 Shape Note Aiken" and "7 Shape Note Swan". This
mode can be activated in the staff display
Note head shapes change depending on the note
height (fundamental, third, fifth…). This mode is used by
singers to ease the score reading by newbies.
New head shapes have been added and are
available in the matching palette.
Effects display is
nicer, thank to the new "SToccata" font.
Bar number display can be configured for each
staff : text style, frequency, frame.
The main "Staff" menu grants now a quick
access to several staff specific features : display mode, division,
Menu option "File>Print" is now
hierarchical and enables to print score, lyrics, chord
New menu : Edit>Actions>Change
Street organ cards (Harmony
The new page header and footer definition
eases greatly street organ card printing while using continuous
stationery, which becomes the default printing mode.
Please note that card printing setup (footer,
margins, active staves, etc.) is now independent from the
Dialog box sequence
has been improved to ease switching from organ setup to card print
To apply a street organ filter to the whole
score, select "Apply filter" in the "Score" menu.
To apply the filter to an individual staff,
select "Apply filter" in the contextual staff menu.
In order to help the user to track punches
when printing organ cards, note color is used for the
A documentation add-on for creating organ
cards is available on the Myriad Web site and on the Myriad
Products CD-ROM. (In French only).
TAB import and export improvement.
When changing scale or printing with
justified bar, chord diagrams and graphics are now correctly
Graphical exports :
On PC, graphical exports have been tested on
: Reading, editing and printing of
PICT, WMF and EMF exports.
"Stoccata" font must be installed to view and print these
Corel Draw 8
: Reading, editing and printing of
EPS exports reading
Note : "Stoccata" font doesn't need to be
installed to print these exports
Note : ask
for importing texts as curves.
Harmony 5.1.0 (February
Graphical export improvement
EPS export has been considerably improved,
the "Toccata" font is now "encapsulated" in the exported
All musical symbols are exported, printing
precision can be chosen from 40 to 1200 DPI, page dimension is
given in millimeters, and margins can be applied.
New language :
version is integrated.
Cosmetic changes :
Tune playing location line has been
New pop-up menus appearance.
Lyrics lines have been moved
ASCII TAB files :
Loading and saving in ASCII tablature file
format (.TAB) can be performed for any fretted
Lyrics are exported and imported too, as well
as effects related to notes.
When into a dialog box, tune can be started
and stopped by hitting Ctrl-M.
It's now possible to insert or delete a bar
directly from the bar pop-up menu (Ctrl-click on the
Harmony Assistant - Chord grid
printing improvement : frames are not printed anymore, and chords
are printed on their right place.
Braces printing problems have been
Complete staff selection problems
ABC file operations improved.
Version 5.0.5 (February 3rd 99)
. Printing scale
. ABC loading
. Custom Harmonicas definition for tablatures
. New note coloring
Version 5.0.4 (January 11th 99)
. Italian version
Version 5.0.2 (December 14th
. User-defineable tool
. New "Jukebox" and
"Karaoke" icons in the "Play" tool palette
. Staff group selection
box in "Staff" menu
. Unbroken bar line for
staves belonging to the same group, while
editing or printing.
Version 5.0.1 (8th of December
Some minor bug fixes :
. Jukebox tune list can
be exported in HTML format
. Graphical problems and
old Karaoke format import fixed
. Graphical location of
grace notes adjusted
. No input from MIDI
keyboard when no tool is selected
. New version of
Version 5.0.0 (1st of December 1998)
. Note effects :
effects are now played (in digital output
mode) and can be finely adjusted. A tune file is provided to show
most of these effects : "Effects.mus".
In this version, effects can only be played
on digital output. A next version will include capabilities of
playing, loading and saving in MIDI format.
. New lyrics processing :
Entering lyrics for a tune is now easier :
texts can now be typed below the staff they are linked with. Since
any staff can be linked to lyrics, there might be several karaoke
staves in a document : the Karaoke display window shows then
several scrolling lines. For more information, read the new chapter
in the documentation file.
. Karaoke scrolling staff :
It's now possible to
make the notes to be sung scrolling, just like the Karaoke
. Tremolo and Vibrato
have been added to each digital instrument.
There are default values for these parameters, but they can also be
adjusted by the composer.
. Jukebox :
a jukebox is now available (File menu) to
make several tune play one after the other.
. New effects have been added
Delay before the note to play arpeggios
And also :
- Note parameters
edit window have been redefined with thumb indexes.
- Midi savings have been corrected
- Commentaries associated to the document can
now be much more longer
- Text and lyrics editing has been improved :
Version 4.1.0 : (october
New tablatures for Harmonica
It's now possible to calculate automatically
a tablature for harmonica.
You can choose the harmonica type (diatonic,
chromatic...), its base note and the symbols to be used to display
New feature for
playing music :
Digital effect parameters are now saved with
your document. Therefore, volume, gain control, reverberation, etc.
are retrieved when the document is loaded. A new tool in the 'play
mode' palette can be use to define these settings.
So the general window for configuring digital
output has been simplified.
New tools :
A new option in the staff pop-up menu enables
to split the staff into two staves, according to a reference note.
Useful for example to split a piano staff where both hands are
mixed into separate staves.
Splitting is done according to a reference
note you can define.
In the same way, a new feature in the staff
pop-up menu computes the stem
directions according to a reference
New palettes :
Some new palettes
are available in the "Windows" menu :
- Note display
Markers (3 palettes)
It's now possible to "zap" (delete) markers
and ornaments by clicking on them with the delete (lightning)
Karaoke improvement :
In "Karaoke" mode you can set the pitch
offset (in semitones) to adjust the tune to the singer's voice
Accented characters from different platforms
(Mac, Windows, MsDos) are recognized when a MID or KAR file is
In the "Global Setup" panel, you can specify
the character set to be used when your file is exported to KAR or
Scrolling and complete lyrics font sizes can
You can now define the output level of the
staff linked to the Voice.
This staff must be the first active staff of
The text can be
center or not.
You can change the font of the scrolling
line, by clicking on it.
All the Karaoke commands have now keyboard
Increase voice level
Decrease voice level
Go the beginning
Decrease text characters size
Page Up Increase text characters
the scrolling line size
Decrease the scrolling line size
And also :
- In "Global Setup", the output device to be
used when loading a document can be selected.
- English documentation improvement (thanks
to Rex Anderson)
- Midi input problem
have been fixed.
- New horizontal mirror
- New metronome
- Note hitching now works with 12/8, 6/8,9/16
Version 4.0.5a October 1998
. ABC format loading has been fixed and
. Now possible to align staves both right and
left while printing
. Files can be saved in "compressed" format
to reduce space
(useful for Internet downloads)
. Minor bugs fixed
Version 4.0.3 September 98
. Can now print braces and bracket to
group staves together
. Minor bug fixed
Many important changes and new capabilities in this version
Notes display has been considerably improved. Miscellaneous markers
and ornaments can be set on notes (grace notes, gruppetto, guitar
For the moment, these markers are only
displayed and can't be heard. The next release will implement
A new tool lets you tie notes with different heights (slur).
Double-dots, double-sharp, double-flat and configurable tuplets are
now present. Accidentals and other note changes can be applied on
Editing comfort has been enhanced by a general scale option, which
zooms the whole score up to 400 %.
Documentation has been completely rewritten. An off-line part (text
file in RTF format) explains all the basis of musical theory and
software handling, with examples and frequently asked questions,
and an on-line part gives you at any moment the meaning of objects,
menu options, windows ...
Here's the detail of these enhancements :
New tool :
"slur", to tie notes with different
can be set on each note :
(grace notes), effects, expression... For the
moment, these effects are not interpreted while the tune is
New display parameters
for each note :
shape (muted notes,...)
graphical offset from its theoretical time location
Accidental offset from the note head
Scale display factor
can be applied to
Display fonts :
Now possible to select the display font for
the miscellaneous objects on the score. This is a global setup for
New accidentals :
double-sharp and double-flat.
- Now possible to hide partially or in
totality a time or key signature change. It enables to make
- Notes can now hitch automatically together
as soon as dropped on score.
- When a note is going to be dropped, the
mouse cursor indicates whether it will replace an existing note or
be added in a chord.
- Horizontal and
vertical mirror on the selection range.
- New window to change the look of all notes
in the selection range.
- Now, two hitching system : simple hitching
which hitches all notes in the selection range, and "intelligent"
hitching, which hitches notes according to the beat.
- New control buttons in the "play tune"
floating palette : Pause/depause , fast forward and
- Accidentals and duration changes can be
applied to an existing note, by selecting no note duration in the
floating palette and clicking on the required note on the
- Time signature can now be abbreviated : 4/4
becomes C and 2/2 crossed out C.
- Now possible to define tuplets up to 10th
- New break types : bold bar line, double bar
line, no bar line, dashed bar line . These symbols are only
displayed (and printed) and have no other effect on the
- In case of notes
fine spacing, dragging a note with the Alt key depressed bounds the
note movements to its available area.
- New digital output parameters : effects
have been added : Automatic gain control, Noise reduction,
Reverberation, Surround and Bass Boost.
Version 3.1.1, 28th of may
New instruments for tablature calculation (banjo, lute...)
Version 3.1.0, may
This release includes some improvements asked
by other users : tune start
location indicator, tablature input without
automatic calculation, note
input by using the
computer keyboard, ...
Computer keyboard is now redefinable to access quickly the most
Scores can be exported graphically to be processed with drawing and
Now possible to set the tune logical starting point. To do this,
ruler with Ctrl key depressed. It activates/deactivates the tune
A vertical line indicates the tune playing location.
Vertical yellow lines indicate the page breaks for
A new staff type has been added : "Tablature" staff.
this kind of staff, you can edit tablatures without getting
recalculated. Cell and string information remain as you input
Now possible to choose quickly the tablature cell : click on
string with Shift key depressed : a pop-up menu opens and you can
. Now possible
to set finely, in the staff area, the notes, calculated
chords or automatic tablature : on the left of the staff, click and
the little triangle.
A preference option activates/deactivates the tune playing
display in the document window.
A new keyboard command moves directly to the playing
Text editing : Ctrl (Command) - A selects the whole text
Possible to print a summary of keyboard shortcuts
location are know viewable in print preview.
Version 3.0.5,april 98
quantize after MIDI file loading.
Automatic hitching after MIDI file loading
Version 3.0.4, march 98
. Fixes problems on
Imports S3M file format
New digital sound database
Cards printing for Street Organs (!)
Version 3.0.0, february 98
/ First version of Melody (1.0.0)
=> 03/96 : version
2.0 Mac/OS7 and Windows 95 version
=> 11/94 : version 1.0
First version of Harmony Assistant