You can read all messages, but to be able to post,
 please Login or Register.
Nov 19th, 2017, 11:45am 
   Atelier Démocratique
   New views & staff types

Piano Roll
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: Piano Roll  (Read 15396 times)
Question: Do you support the proposal below?

Yes     72 (78.2%)
No     20 (21.7%)

Total votes: 92

Please read this before voting

Olivier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

Re: Piano Roll  
« Reply #15 on: Nov 11th, 2005, 4:53pm »
Quote | Modify

on Nov 11th, 2005, 4:43pm, James_Warren wrote:
An optional overlay of colored bars to represent the time duration of notes and rests would work as a tutorial on musical notation every time that it is used.  No other music program has that!

It's already available in the current version, my screen capture comes from there. Just select "Delays & pressure time" in the curve contextual menu (green triangle in the staff margin).
The bar that represents each note can be moved or stretched through the pencil tool.

Olivier Guillion
Myriad Software
James Warren
Board Full Member

« Reply #16 on: Nov 11th, 2005, 5:01pm »
Quote | Modify

Then add a score wide editing(vertical ruler) line to line up the points on the effects curve, beat marks to the color bars and allow the setting of note durations by "painting" the lengh  of the timing bars and you are done!  
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2005, 5:43pm by James Warren » offline
Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #17 on: Nov 12th, 2005, 6:20pm »
Quote | Modify

"Non" la capture d'Olivier montre très bien ce qui ressemble à un piano roll

On peut après essayer d'améliorer le schmilblick car j'ai du mal parfois à attraper le début et la fin du trait.

VS languages demos on my MUSL
HA+VS+PdfToMusic Win7
Keyboards: Nord Electro 3, MIDI controller+Ketron SD4 expander
Jean-Armand Moroni
Board Senior Member

« Reply #18 on: Nov 12th, 2005, 10:28pm »
Quote | Modify

on Nov 12th, 2005, 6:20pm, Sylvain Machefert wrote:
On peut après essayer d'améliorer le schmilblick car j'ai du mal parfois à attraper le début et la fin du trait.

Moi itou.

Pour l'instant je vote "non" à la demande, car je considère que le mode "piano roll" est déjà implémenté.
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2005, 10:35pm by Jean-Armand Moroni » offline
Jean-Armand Moroni
Board Senior Member

« Reply #19 on: Nov 12th, 2005, 10:33pm »
Quote | Modify

on Nov 11th, 2005, 4:11pm, Olivier Guillion wrote:
Marce, if you think curve editing could be improved by displaying a marker at each note starting and ending point, you can propose this in the "Request" part of this forum. It will become a separate option.

I don't know if this was Marce's intention, but in any case this feature would be really useful, as it is currently quite difficult to edit curves which need to make "jumps" between notes (velocity is a typical example).
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2005, 10:34pm by Jean-Armand Moroni » offline
marce
Beta-tester
Board Full Member

SouthAmerican Folk Music & Classic Music, Worship

« Reply #20 on: Nov 13th, 2005, 5:15pm »
Quote | Modify

on Nov 11th, 2005, 4:11pm, Olivier Guillion wrote:

OK. Alors:

Marce, if you think curve editing could be improved by displaying a marker at each note starting and ending point, you can propose this in the "Request" part of this forum. It will become a separate option.

Hey Olivier i missed the tip you gave above, Thanks!

What you mention about a mark where it beguns is a good idea!I have another about that, also.  
You know that you can convert in any moment your staff tracks to digital ones, and they become displayed like Wav files. MAYBE you can set an option that ONLY display the staff like a wave file without convert it? That way you have an accurate starting and end point for curve editing (and you can see how the volume evolves)

Well is only an idea, that maybe is easy to set, if it is too much harder than the piano roll... excuse me
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2005, 5:17pm by marce » offline

Marcelo Colina
Kindergarden music teacher (yeah, i work with the big ones
My music Motagator
DJ
Board Junior Member

« Reply #21 on: Nov 20th, 2005, 1:52am »
Quote | Modify

I used to use a program that had a piano roll feature. I found it very usefull for that program. When I first started using HA, I wished that HA had a piano roll. But...after useing HA for just a short time, I realized that I had no need for a piano roll at all. I found that everything I used the piano roll for in the other program can be done easilly in HA without a piano roll.  
No offense to those who think its a good idea, I just feel its unnecessary.
James Warren
Board Full Member

« Reply #22 on: Nov 20th, 2005, 2:26am »
Quote | Modify

Yes, but would you have purchased it sooner with the piano roll feature and is it not possible that others weighing their purchase over this same issue might not purchase it at all without it?  

The most effective marketing does not use didactic reasoning for it's hook.
DJ
Board Junior Member

« Reply #23 on: Nov 20th, 2005, 3:15am »
Quote | Modify

Quote:
Yes, but would you have purchased it sooner with the piano roll feature and is it not possible that others weighing their purchase over this same issue might not purchase it at all without it?    

The most effective marketing does not use didactic reasoning for it's hook.

James you have a very valid point, but when I first came across the Myriad website and read about both MA and HA I thought they both blew away other music writing programs in price, fetures and support (I browsed the forum not to mention getting an imediate response to an emailed question). I was sold from the get go...piano roll or no.
All due respect, I don't think its needed.
It looks like I'm being out voted anyways. Thats OK...I still had my vote and my say so I'm still happy  
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2005, 3:21am by DJ » offline
James Warren
Board Full Member

« Reply #24 on: Nov 20th, 2005, 10:14am »
Quote | Modify

The more I think about this feature the more I like it.  The benefit to the note readers would be a greatly enhanced speed and ease of note entry plus a "trail" of beat marks left behind each note giving a greatly enhanced "ruler" to use in marking the effects curves.

Imagine having entered the piano scroll mode where the staff lines and previously entered notes remain visible but where a piano key board appears now on the left. As the cursor travels up and down on the staff a thirty second note follows it with a colored horizontal line sweeping up and down through the measure and the piano keyboard reflecting sharps and flats as it goes (this may require a delay in travel over each line and space as the flat, natural and sharp appears in position over each line or space.)

Once the desired chromatic note position is reached, click and begin to move the mouse horizontally as the time value of the note changes with the length of the "beat trail" after it.  Click again to begin entry of another note or Shift+click to enter a rest in the same manner with a little ruler of beats behind it in the same style as the notes.

It doesn't have to be just a "useless" feature to attract "newbies."  I don't *need* it but I think that I could use it.
Philip Wild
Board Newbie

WWW | Email

« Reply #25 on: Mar 23rd, 2006, 1:32pm »
Quote | Modify

Geniesoft Overture 4 has this feature and I liked it.
There are definately positive uses for this.

Also Band in a Box has a similar feature.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2006, 11:58am by Philip Wild » offline
Musicmaker38m
Board Newbie

« Reply #26 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 8:13am »
Quote | Modify

And CakeWalk. I used it only for drum track editing, so I don't need this feature in HA, we have grill pattern drum editing
Yorel
Board Newbie

Re: Piano Roll   Piano_roll.jpg
« Reply #27 on: Apr 17th, 2007, 10:51pm »
Quote | Modify

Je suis POUR à 200% à condition qu'il s'agisse d'une vraie fonction Piano Roll réservée à uniquement à l'édition de notes.
La clé de la portée ainsi que son armure doivent être remplacées par un clavier de piano et les notes représentées à la manière des cartons pour orgues de barbarie.
Il est hors de question :
1- d'ajouter des paroles ou des ornements
2- de vouloir imprimer une oeuvre en Piano Roll
3- de vouloir afficher une oeuvre complète en Piano Roll

L'affichage en Piano Roll doit se limiter à 2 voir 3 portées au grand maximum et peut-être même uniquement aux notes ou portées sélectionnées.

Voyez l'exemple que je vous joints.
La ligne mélodique en clé de SOL est simple et apparaît en vert foncé.
La portée d'accompagnement en clé de FA est nettement plus complexe à cause du nombre de notes simultanées et de la position temporelle de chaque note dans la mesure. Les notes de cette portée sont représentées en brun foncé.

Imaginons que nous voulions aligner les notes de la clé de FA sur des temps ou demi-temps et que nous voulions que chaque note soit une ou un multiple de croche.
Simplement avec la souris, sans changer d'outil, nous pourrions déplacer les notes en horizontal, en vertical et faire varier leur longueur ou durée.
C'est le cas avec le logiciel duquel mon exemple est prélevé.
Si le pointeur de la souris est placé en début de note, c'est pour la déplacer horizontalement.
Si le pointeur de la souris est placé en fin de note, c'est pour modifier la durée de la note.
Si le pointeur de la souris est placé au centre de la note, c'est pour la déplacer verticalement.

Quelle simplicité par rapport au même travail à réaliser en affichage conventionnel de notes sur portées.

J'espère avoir pu démontrer l'utilité ainsi que les limites d'une fonction Piano Roll.

A vous lire, Yorel.

Jean-Armand Moroni
Board Senior Member

« Reply #28 on: Apr 18th, 2007, 10:58pm »
Quote | Modify

Par rapport à une vraie fonction Piano roll, la fonction actuelle dans HA :
- est difficile à manipuler (difficile d'attraper les bouts des traits),
- fonctionne portée par portée, tandis que l'exemple présenté affiche toutes les notes en même temps.

Il y a donc un plus à implémenter une vraie fonction Piano roll. Maintenant, sur la priorité de cette implémentation par rapport à d'autres améliorations, de l'édition ou du son, je reste sceptique.
Wally Schmidt
Board Newbie

« Reply #29 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 8:39pm »
Quote | Modify

I voted yes specifically because I have a son-in-law who does wonderfully well at composing in MIDI with a piano-roll interface, but is not skilled at notation. In the long run, I think he'll be handicapped, musically, and the ability to at least toggle between the two displays will help him grasp traditional notation.

Wally
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Atelier Démocratique » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad