You can read all messages, but to be able to post,
 please Login or Register.
Oct 30th, 2014, 1:34pm 
   Atelier Démocratique
   Sound output & effects

VST instruments plug-ins
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  7 Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: VST instruments plug-ins  (Read 15043 times)
Question: Do you support the proposal below?

Yes     85 (97.7%)
No     2 (2.2%)

Total votes: 87

Please read this before voting

Musicaresco

Email

Re: VST instruments plug-ins  
« Reply #30 on: Dec 31st, 2008, 12:24pm »
Quote | Modify | Remove

on Oct 23rd, 2007, 7:18pm, krismega wrote:
Here is a really interesting solution to play VST's with HA:

Introducing Cantabile

Cantabile is a simple, easy to use VST host, MIDI recorder/sequencer and audio recorder.

Designed primarily for real-time playing of virtual instruments and effects, Cantabile includes a highly optimized audio engine to minimize system load and reduce audio drop outs.

Cantabile Lite
Cantabile Lite is a lightweight, simple, easy to use VST host.  

It includes the same highly optimized audio engine as the full version and includes support for up to 4 plugins, ASIO and DirectSound support, audio recorder, MIDI recorder, MIDI sequencer, metronome, MIDI filters, MIDI controller assignments, on-screen keyboard and more...

Cantabile Lite has no nag screens, is not a crippled demo, is completely free and available for download now.

Cantabile (Full Version)
The full version of Cantabile includes many additional features not found in Cantabile Lite, including support for unlimited plugins, multi-channel audio, plugin organiser, program organiser, improved plugin editor, morph and randomize tools, incremental saving, A/B preset toggling and more...  

The full version of Cantabile is available at a very reasonable price (US$25.00)
and a demo is available for download now.

http://www.toptensoftware.com/cantabile/index.php  

Bests regards.  

Hi.  
Wanting to return to this speech, if I did not understand 'Cantabile' can be connected in real time with HA, or must first export to an audio format from HA and then import it in 'Cantabile'.  
Thanks in advance for any response.  

Luigi
KrisMega
Board Junior Member

Email

« Reply #31 on: Jan 17th, 2009, 5:15pm »
Quote | Modify

Use ''Virtual MIDI Cables'' to output the HA midi signals in the midi inputs of your VST Host.

Try freewares "MappleMidi" (http://www.hurchalla.com/Maple_driver.html) or "MIDIYoke" (http://www.midiox.com/myoke.htm)

Personally i try & use ''MappleMidi'' - with 4 virtuals cables of 16 channels each = 64 channels - with Cantabile 1.2 or Reaper and Vista.  
Each channel access a ''VST Rack'' in the VST Host.
If you require more ports than the four default input and outputs, you can install Maple Extra Ports after the Maple Virtual Midi Cable for a total of twelve ports.  
(If you're not sure if you need extra ports, then you don't need it).

After installation, you need configure HA midi outputs & latency, and your host midi inputs to enabe midi ports.

More info about how interfacing HA and a VST Host is available in ''Shared Experience'' chapter of this site.  
Please read: ''Harmony/Melody Assistant and GPO Studio'' (http://www.myriadonline.com/fr/sharedxp/gpo/index.htm),  
and ''Harmony/Melody Assistant and the Garritan Jazz & Big Band Library'' (http://www.myriadonline.com/fr/sharedxp/jabb/index.htm).

Bye  

P.S.: Thank for your comment, i've updated the original post  
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2009, 9:51pm by KrisMega » offline
marce
Beta-tester
Board Full Member

SouthAmerican Folk Music & Classic Music, Worship

« Reply #32 on: Jun 7th, 2009, 1:05am »
Quote | Modify

There is another possibilitie.  
By example, there is a program called FLStudio. It`s for loops and all that. Instead of using it and connecting it trough some tricky way (midi yoke, rewire, etc) you can load it as a VSTi inside your prefered sequencer (cubase, sonar, reaper, etc)
There are several VSTi plugins that can take the midi of the sequencer, edit it, and send to the sequencer back.
Suppose that Harmony make a VSTi version of it, you just load it in your prefered sequencer. You score from thre, and send the midi out back to the sequencer. Inside your sequencer, you can connect the Harmony output to any other Sample library/virtual instrument you want.
The advantage of this way is that it`s not need to develope VSTi support, ASIO support, and all that.
There is a french developer that makes first an standalone of their software and then developed a VSTi version. Maybe you can contact them, language would make things easier, i guess: www.sensomusic.com  

I believe that if Myriad develope Harmony as VSTi, it would be a innovative thing (difficult?) and it maybe could be a separated license.  So, if you need to work with VSTis and sequencers, you can purchase this separated version, to support the development of it.

Regards!

Marcelo Colina
Kindergarden music teacher (yeah, i work with the big ones
My music Motagator
Jean-Armand Moroni
Board Senior Member

« Reply #33 on: Aug 17th, 2009, 10:57pm »
Quote | Modify

J'ai voté oui car, après avoir utilisé les VST dans Cubase, j'ai constaté un point très positif : les réglages des VST sont sauvegardés dans le fichier de Cubase. Si l'on utilise des VST depuis un autre logiciel relié à HA par MIDI, il faut sauvegarder séparément les réglages, ce qui devient un cauchemar si l'on utilise plusieurs VST.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2009, 10:58pm by Jean-Armand Moroni » offline
ZooTooK
Board Newbie

WWW |

« Reply #34 on: Oct 13th, 2009, 1:46pm »
Quote | Modify

1. I think that the ease of use would be the primary benefit, opening up one program instead of having the VST instruments in e.g Reaper and hooking up HA by a virual midi cable. It works but you need to name the files properly so you know what is used...

2. Also to be able to access the VST parameters directly from HA, so you can skip all that 7 bit MIDI controller nonsens.

3. The Accompaniment instruments could then be also a VST. As I'm building my own library it would be great to keep the instrument setting.

4. I think it would be a great sales argument - I guess many dissmiss HA before trying as it does't have VST support... like I did for quite some time...
ZooTooK
Board Newbie

WWW |

« Reply #35 on: Oct 28th, 2009, 10:35am »
Quote | Modify

Regarding making HA a VST to be inserted into other VST hosts. It migh be nice for some situations but no all VST hosts can connect ONE VST to send midi to many other VSTi's. It will get a bit messy as you most certainly want more than just one VSTi connected. And I'm not even sure if the VST API can get you to have more than one MIDI output from a VST plug. And if not your strapped to 16 midi channels/instruments, which is not sufficient for orchestral works...

PS. VSTi's cannot send midi AFAIK according to standard API, so it would have to be a VST.
tenny
Board Newbie

« Reply #36 on: Oct 30th, 2009, 7:06am »
Quote | Modify

Vst Plugins support in MA/HA would bring the programs to a new level, comparable to FL Studio and others where samples can be added freely from  Korg Legacy, Cubase, Kontakt, Goliath, etc.

We can also used Image Line effects, FL Studio effects, Guitar Rig, and other effect processor.

« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2009, 7:50am by tenny » offline
4tune
Board Newbie

« Reply #37 on: Jan 13th, 2010, 3:58pm »
Quote | Modify

on Oct 28th, 2009, 10:35am, ZooTooK wrote:
Regarding making HA a VST to be inserted into other VST hosts. It migh be nice for some situations but no all VST hosts can connect ONE VST to send midi to many other VSTi's. It will get a bit messy as you most certainly want more than just one VSTi connected. And I'm not even sure if the VST API can get you to have more than one MIDI output from a VST plug. And if not your strapped to 16 midi channels/instruments, which is not sufficient for orchestral works...

The work around for this would be to open another instance of HA VSTi.  Not ideal, as you say but for smaller works no problem.  You could also use something like energyXT to wrap HA VSTi and kontakt for example.    

Quote:
PS. VSTi's cannot send midi AFAIK according to standard API, so it would have to be a VST.

This does not appear to be true.  energyXT VSTi can send MIDI.  You can check by loading a VSTi version of it into itself.

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2010, 4:01pm by 4tune » offline

MIXER LANE SUGGESTION :

http://www.myriad-online.com/cgi-bin/workshop/YaBB.pl?board=request;action=display;num=1264226951

mikers
Board Newbie

« Reply #38 on: Mar 7th, 2010, 12:22am »
Quote | Modify

I already own and play with FLS - the reason that I recently bought HA is that FLS does not have a score editor and some of the interesting features of HA.  The aim was to play around with the score until I was happy with it, and then move it over to FLS to work on the "sound and effects" parts and render it there.

The thing that I have found (and should have realised) is that having at least the basic sound of the vst plugin instrument available in HA would make working on the score a whole lot more interesting.

As a developer, I can imagine the complexity of a full implementation of instruments, effects and whatever else might be involved.. but I suppose what I am looking for is a method to avoid having to open multiple vsthosts and do the midi setup each time.

Wouldnt it be possible as a first step to define an instrument that is actually a vsthost within HA that would start up as a child process running whatever vst/preset/volume that it is passed as a parameter along with the midi port it should be listening on?

just a thought
crimhead
Board Full Member

Mainz   Germany

WWW | Email

« Reply #39 on: Mar 7th, 2010, 7:02pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi
you can connect harmony with your VST host via midi. then you can use all tha sounds from your program within Harmony.

regards

Lutz

Please visit me at http://www.myspace.com/lutzstahlhofen
mikers
Board Newbie

« Reply #40 on: Mar 8th, 2010, 2:13am »
Quote | Modify

Hi - thanks very much for the suggestion... I did go through that process originally, but decided that it would get complicated if I work on anything with more than 10 or 15 instruments... that's why I got to thinking that it would be nice if HA provided even basic vst instrument support.  It was just a thought...

thanks again.
crimhead
Board Full Member

Mainz   Germany

WWW | Email

« Reply #41 on: Mar 8th, 2010, 8:57am »
Quote | Modify

hello mikers
i too would prefer a direct vst support. but as long as we dont hav it i have to use the midi connection.

best regards

Lutz

Please visit me at http://www.myspace.com/lutzstahlhofen
mimilenduit
Board Newbie

« Reply #42 on: Jun 13th, 2010, 12:09pm »
Quote | Modify

Avec un peu mal au ventre j'ai mis de côté Harmony asistant, pour passer à un logiciel de composition, Notion3 (en anglais, hélas pour moi, pas pour les anglophones, naturellement) qui, malgré l'inconvénient de la langue est très complet et facile d'emploi, mais surtout  permet d'utiliser les plugs in VST. ( D'autres le font, Comme Sibelius, mais avec un résultat audio assez médiocre, faut l'faire !) Comme instruments VST J'utilise Viennna, EWQL-Play, Kontakt  et Garritan à l'occasion. (ce dernier s'utilise assez facilement sur Harmony quand on a compris la petite manip à faire). Incontestablement les instruments sur Vienna ou Play et les articulations disponibles sont d'une facture bien supérieure à ce qui est proposé dans la base de son Gold. Oui, bien sûr, ça coûte la peau des roubignoles   ( pour les mecs, les dames, je ne sais pas  ) mais quand on aime on compte pas ! (enfin, pas trop, ou longuement !). Si donc un jour l'utilisation des plugs in VST était possible, c'est avec soulagement que je retrouverais Harmony, qui, selon moi, mes diverses incursions dans d'autres logiciels aidant, est ce qui se fait de mieux en matière de composition.
Deepen
Board Newbie

« Reply #43 on: Aug 5th, 2010, 3:11pm »
Quote | Modify

Bonjour,
Je travaille depuis des années avec toutes sortes de programmes: Sonar, Cubase, etc.  

si MA pouvaient intégrer les VST, je n'utiliserai plus que lui, c'est sûr !

J'ai essayé le système proposé, avec Mapple et Cantabile, comme suggéré, mais si je change la vélocité des notes dans MA, ça n'a pas d'effet dans Catabile.

Y-a-t'il un moyen ?

Merci d'avance
Deepen
Cedric
Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #44 on: Nov 29th, 2010, 9:40pm »
Quote | Modify

Si je pouvais utiliser mes VST avec harmony, j'oublierai d'ouvrir les autres logiciels de composition. Je ne verrais pas quoi demander de plus. Par contre, il est particulièrement frustrant de ne pouvoir s'y employer actuellement. J'ai bien vu ce qui concerne les cables virtuels, mais n'étant pas anglophone, et le sujet me paraissant obscure, m'y engager ne m'attire pas vraiment. à moins que quelqu'un m'explique... Cédric.

Cedric
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  7 Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Atelier Démocratique » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Last update:  (c) Myriad 2013