You can read all messages, but to be able to post,
 please Login or Register.
Nov 21st, 2017, 4:48pm 
   Atelier Démocratique
   Sound output & effects

"Sysex" objects
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: "Sysex" objects  (Read 3103 times)
Question: Do you support the proposal below?

Yes     11 (84.6%)
No     2 (15.3%)

Total votes: 13

Please read this before voting

Olivier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

"Sysex" objects  
« on: Nov 9th, 2005, 10:10am »
Quote | Modify

Description:
"Sysex" objects or "Sysex" curves that could send a "Systeme Exclusive" message to MIDI output, the message checksum being calculated automatically.

Difficulty:

Product(s):

Olivier Guillion
Myriad Software
Edward Gold
Board Senior Member

classical, romantic and contemporary

WWW |

Re: [english]  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 1:32am »
Quote | Modify

I wonder if this is necessary except to conform to standard MIDI practice. These parameters seem amply addressed with reverb tools etc.

I'd vote no but might change my mind if someone gave a compelling reason.

websites: http://www.egoldmidincd.com
Classical Archives page: http://www.classicalarchives.com/inspire/gold.html
Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Gold
COMALite J
Beta-tester
Board Full Member

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 6:11am »
Quote | Modify

SysEx is much more than just reverb. Reverb is handled by a MIDI Continuous Controller (CC), which is already adequately handled by MIDI Performance Curves.

But, for instance, to access the full power of Yamaha S-VA VL Sondius-XG Physical Modelling synthesis, which accurately models real-world real-time attributes of real instruments such as breath pressure, embochure shape, tonguing, growl, scream, bow angle, bow speed, bow pressure, damping, etc. (those are all actual names of parameters in VL Physical Modelling, instead of synthetic parameters such as Brightness or Filters or some such), you need SysExes, at least for setup purposes.

Just to give you a taste, here's a file I've linked to several times before (<4MB old codec Windows Media .ASF file -- for comparison, here's the actual ~80kB MIDI file that produced it). It's a demonstration of some powerful music AI software from a Russian company called NTonyX, and the demo file itself was made by them and modified by me to sound better on my $15 Yamaha DS-XG YMF724-chipset sound card that has built-in VL synthesis. Only one note at a time can use the VL, but since that's usually the melody note, and since you can still use powerful XG wavetable sampled instruments for the accompaniment, it's quite powerful.

If you play the MIDI file on a PC that lacks VL, even if it has XG, the accompaniment will sound okay if not exactly right, but the melody notes will sound very flat, like an electronic foghorn. The .ASF file is an actual recording direct off of my sound card while playing that MIDI file (I used the Stereo Output slider in the Windows Recording Mixer as the selected Record Source). Everything in that file (except for compression artifacts), every nuance, every acoustic effect, is in the MIDI file, and generated by the XG and VL synths on my sound card in real time. Listen carefully to the solo blues tenor saxophone that plays through most of it, and the mellow high trombone solo that plays briefly about 3/4 of the way through. Both are VL. The rest is XG.

I did the modifications with PG Music's Power Tracks Pro Audio (cost me $30). The performance nuances were generated by the NTonyX software, using A.I. techniques to modify an otherwise "dry" MIDI file to sound like it's being performed by real humans with real emotional feelings. Myriad products can't do it, because they can't do the level of MIDI control needed. SysExes would go a long way towards helping this.

At present, the MIDI Performance Curves can't be used for SysExes because SysExes require a "checksum" byte that has to be calculated based on all of the other bytes. There's no way to specify this in the MIDI Performance Curve setup dialog. All that this Feature Request is asking for is to add a new variable to represent the calculated checksum, to the several already offered ("mm" for Curve Data Most Significant Byte [MSB], "ll" for Curve Data LSB, and "n" for MIDI Chanel Number). I recommend "kk" for checKsum, but "ss" for "sum" might be okay also.

However, all of this would be rendered moot by my proposed overhaul of the whole Performance Curve system. Keep watching the New Features Request Forum for further details (when I have time -- I'm the sole developer and webmaster of http://swd.org/, a heavily database-driven ASP.NET 2 site, and work late almost every night trying to get things ready for four simultaneous conventions coming up, among other things -- this is why I haven't been around here as much lately as I used to be).
James Warren
Board Full Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27th, 2006, 10:42pm »
Quote | Modify

Nothing I have plays that *.asf file.  How about a clue for the clueless.
Ramses12
Board Junior Member

Ramses12_gmc@yahoo.com  

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11th, 2013, 7:40pm »
Quote | Modify

I personally don't need this right now and perhaps neither I will in the near future, but I voted yes because it is useful.
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Atelier Démocratique » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad