You can read all messages, but to be able to post,
 please Login or Register.
Nov 20th, 2017, 8:23am 
   Atelier Démocratique
   Requests for a new feature

Import Personal Composer files
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: Import Personal Composer files  (Read 2489 times)
COMALite J
Beta-tester
Board Full Member

Email

Import Personal Composer files  
« on: Apr 9th, 2006, 4:10am »
Quote | Modify

http://www.pcomposer.com/

Does anyone have this program? I know of a composer (http://defordmusic.com) who uses it, and am trying to convince her to switch to Myriad products, but the ability to import her work (and not just via MIDI, which doesn't preserve notational info such as stem direction, ties, etc.) would be an absolute requirement before I could even seriously suggest it to her.

I wonder if its file format is easy enough to handle via MyrScript, like you did with the Coda .MUS, MusicTime, Rhapsody, and other file formats?
Didier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

Re: Import Personal Composer files  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 5:14am »
Quote | Modify

No Music XML export in this program ?

Best regards

Myriad Team
COMALite J
Beta-tester
Board Full Member

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 5:21am »
Quote | Modify

Their Website mentions MusicXML (and NIFF) Import, but not Export.
Didier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 7:19am »
Quote | Modify

on Apr 9th, 2006, 5:21am, COMALite J wrote:
Their Website mentions MusicXML (and NIFF) Import, but not Export.

It is a pity...

What kind of export this program manage ?

Best regards

Myriad Team
COMALite J
Beta-tester
Board Full Member

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 8:11am »
Quote | Modify

Its own native file format (which I don't know since I don't have the program -- not even the demo version), plus MIDI Type 0 or 1, and that appears to be it as far as music content export formats.

Mrs. DeFord (the composer who I linked to) uses Acrobat with this program to make the .PDFs on her site, so it doesn't even have native .PDF export capabilities. It does seem to produce outstanding quality sheet music for the price, though. Better than Myriad products have been capable of until very recently, anyway.
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #5 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 11:13am »
Quote | Modify

I've tried PCcomposer (demo version) The printout quality is really decent. When the music is played, there is no marker on the score: the whole playing bar is highlighted, but not the indivual notes.
But I should say that its weak point is the import/export function. It does import musicXML files, but the layout is very poor and needs a lot of adjusting.  
As for exporting, only MIDI is available.
I've taken a look at the owner's files. There seem to be some sort of header and footer, but the rest is not that simple to figure out...
COMALite J
Beta-tester
Board Full Member

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 6:11pm »
Quote | Modify

It seems to be a notation program only. Playback only exists as a courtesy, there only to help one verify that the notes were entered correctly. It's not an all-in-one solution like MA/HA.
Jean-Armand Moroni
Board Senior Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 11:31pm »
Quote | Modify

A strange limitation is that their highest version is still limited to 44 staves per system. This is attained more easily than one might think of, when writing for a full orchestra, if you want each different part to have its own staff. Messiaen "Saint-François d'Assises" opera has 70 staves...

I just cannot think of any good reason why their software would have such a limitation. It denotes either some very bad programming, or some very bad marketing (i.e. they intend to sell an unlimited version, still more expensive).
COMALite J
Beta-tester
Board Full Member

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 6:42am »
Quote | Modify

I suspect that it's because of the emphasis on printing, and their software internally works on building page images. With typical letter-sized (A4 for you metric system users) paper, 44 is about the maximum number of staves that can reasonably be expected to fit.

I agree that it's a silly limitation for their high-end program (that's about three times the price of Harmony Assistant -- and yes, they do charge for version upgrades), though.

I should also note that they have a download utility to convert their old Personal Composer for DOS files to MIDI files, so that they can be imported into Personal Composer for Windows! They didn't even have that much backwards-compatibility with their own product!
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2009, 5:10pm by COMALite J » offline
Didier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 7:14am »
Quote | Modify

I tried to test it, apparently no Macintosh version, so I can't...

Best regards

Myriad Team
COMALite J
Beta-tester
Board Full Member

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 24th, 2009, 7:51pm »
Quote | Modify

Update: Mrs. DeFord now makes .PC (Personal Composer's proprietary score file extension) files of many of her arrangements available. So, one could hypothetically download some of her .PDFs and the corresponding .PCs (all free), and compare them and see if one could figure out the file format from that.

For now, it seems that the only viable option is PDF-to-Music, from her Acrobat-generated .PDFs of her .PC scores. I'll give that a try when I get a chance and report back here. I'll also take a look at some of her .PC files and see what I can figure out about their structure.
Lyn_Hawkins
Board Newbie

Personal Composer files - how to convert  
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19th, 2016, 9:14am »
Quote | Modify

To export from Personal Composer Export to . niff   Then use a program called use Lime to import the niff file, then export to xml.   Note import/ export not save or open.

Lyn
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Atelier Démocratique » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad