You can read all messages, but to be able to post,
 please Login or Register.
Mar 19th, 2024, 12:14pm 
   Atelier Démocratique
   New products

Virtual Singer as a VST module
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: Virtual Singer as a VST module  (Read 9258 times)
Question: Do you support the proposal below?

Yes     36 (81.8%)
No     8 (18.1%)

Total votes: 44

Please read this before voting

Olivier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

Virtual Singer as a VST module  
« on: Nov 9th, 2005, 12:53pm »
Quote | Modify

Description:
Virtual Singer as a VST plug-in so  it could be used with other programs that
support the VST standard.

Difficulty:

Olivier Guillion
Myriad Software
PHP
Board Senior Member

WWW |

Re: Virtual Singer as a VST module  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20th, 2005, 12:04pm »
Quote | Modify

ça ne changerait rien pour HA ?

Le Vol Blanc de l'Effraie -- Pierre H Cravan
COMALite J
Beta-tester
Board Full Member

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18th, 2006, 7:10am »
Quote | Modify

VST support should work both ways. Harmony (if not Melody) should be able to use VST Synths as alternate soft synths, and also use VST Digital Effects in addition to its own on any Staff as well as globally. In addition, there should be a VST Synth version of what is effectively the Web Player Plugin, that plays not only VS but also Myriad soundbases in other programs.

In other words, Harmony Assistant would be a VST client, and there would be a Myriad VST Synth as well.

I would recommend selling the Myriad VST Synth as a separate product (at, say, $30 which includes the per-session time-out trial version of Virtual Singer [the timer gets reset when the VST client program exits and restarts], and the user could purchase Virtual Singer and/or the Gold SoundBase 2 at their regular prices to extend its capabilities), but include it free with Harmony Assistant.
Jean-Armand Moroni
Board Senior Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 18th, 2006, 12:14pm »
Quote | Modify

on Nov 9th, 2005, 12:53pm, Olivier Guillion wrote:
Description:
Virtual Singer as a VST plug-in so it could be used with other programs that support the VST standard.

Didier, I would say if you develop such plug-in, it would merely target people who do not own MA / HA, hence do not vote in this Democratic Workshop forum.

Most people who vote in this forum and use VS with MA / HA could vote "no" because they do not want you to spend time on something they will never use. A few people may vote yes - people that use VST plug-ins, in another context than MA / HA -, but then would they pay twice for VS, i.e. once for the VST plug-in and once for the "plug-in" into MA / HA?

Developing a new product that aims at enlarging your customer base cannot be sensibly discussed in this forum. Well, that's my two cents.
Olivier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18th, 2006, 12:47pm »
Quote | Modify

on Feb 18th, 2006, 12:14pm, Jean-Armand wrote:
Developing a new product that aims at enlarging your customer base cannot be sensibly discussed in this forum. Well, that's my two cents.

So where should it be discussed, then?

Olivier Guillion
Myriad Software
crimhead
Board Full Member

Mainz   Germany

WWW | Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18th, 2006, 3:04pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi
Olivier is right were should it be discussed if not here.
I votet yes because it may open the door for a whole lot of VST-plugins to be used in Harmony as well.

Lutz

Please visit me at https://soundcloud.com/lutzstahlhofen/
Olivier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 18th, 2006, 6:40pm »
Quote | Modify

The main problem in a VST plug-in version of Virtual Singer would be the lyrics. Since the VST host doesn't send the lyrics to the plug-in, how to define what Virtual Singer has to sing?
An external text file could do the job, but then how to keep it in sync with the score?

The second problem would be the delay. VS calculation takes time, and needs often a few seconds to be calculated in advance for being sure to be in time. This is not compatible with the real-time use of a usual VST plug-in.

Olivier Guillion
Myriad Software
Jean-Armand Moroni
Board Senior Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 18th, 2006, 9:16pm »
Quote | Modify

on Feb 18th, 2006, 12:47pm, Olivier Guillion wrote:

So where should it be discussed, then?

At Myriad's Directors Monthly Board Review.
COMALite J
Beta-tester
Board Full Member

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 5:56am »
Quote | Modify

on Feb 18th, 2006, 6:40pm, Olivier Guillion wrote:
The main problem in a VST plug-in version of Virtual Singer would be the lyrics. Since the VST host doesn't send the lyrics to the plug-in, how to define what Virtual Singer has to sing?
An external text file could do the job, but then how to keep it in sync with the score?

Take over an otherwise unused MIDI CC or NRPN, with the data value being the VS Fragment number (at present you have about 64 Fragments, if I remember right, and a single MIDI byte can hold any of 128 distinct values, so you even have room for expansion). The job of translating lyrics to Fragments would be done by preprocessor which can read a MIDI file with lyrics attached to MIDI channels, translate the lyrics to Fragments (as VS already does within HA / MA), and the resulting Fragments would be encoded into the MIDI data as CCs (or NRPNs).

Quote:
The second problem would be the delay. VS calculation takes time, and needs often a few seconds to be calculated in advance for being sure to be in time. This is not compatible with the real-time use of a usual VST plug-in.
Sorry, I can't help you there, other than to remind that CPUs have gotten considerably faster since VS 1.0. Maybe, for a limited number of voices, it could be done in real time? System requirements would be considerably higher than those for your other products, of course, but probably could be done with almost any PC or Mac built within the past two or three years or so.
marce
Beta-tester
Board Full Member

SouthAmerican Folk Music & Classic Music, Worship

« Reply #9 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 3:23pm »
Quote | Modify

on Feb 18th, 2006, 6:40pm, Olivier Guillion wrote:

There exist plugins that have that problem, called "latency", but most of hosts today have a "latency compensation" option. Not all VST plugins can be played in realtime without latency, so VS will not be alone...
Another option that is used today is the "freeze" option in most of the hosts, that mean, you ask the host to make the calculations of the track assigned to a given VST or VSTi not in realtime and the result is saved to a wav file that is played instead of make the calculations in realtime, so you save cpu until you make some modification to the track you are using.

About the lyrics, it seems difficult to found a good solution.  

Marcelo Colina
Kindergarden music teacher (yeah, i work with the big ones
My music Motagator
Velen
Board Newbie

WWW |

« Reply #10 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 3:44am »
Quote | Modify

Hi  

I know this is an old topic but here goes.

I don't see VS HA or MA as a VST host present midi implementation in the program is at far to low a level. But if you want to :

1: increase Myraids market share  

2: versatility of HA/MA and your present plug in base .

Then consider going Re-wire hosting. This would permit the slaving of advanced DAW vst sequencers that are midi based to HA/ma adding all of the advantages of the slaved  program and maintaining the integrity of the HA\MA software lines.

Just my 2 penny's worth from a user that uses vst applications regularly for my music creation.

Toodles  
Vel

Vel
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Atelier Démocratique » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad