Atelier Démocratique « Allow making new galleries while the Publish ftp is running in background mode, »
 Welcome, Guest.
 You can read all messages, but to be able to post,
 please Login or Register.
Nov 22nd, 2017, 8:03am 
   Atelier Démocratique
   Galerie

Allow making new galleries while the Publish ftp is running in background mode,
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print
   Author  Topic: Allow making new galleries while the Publish ftp is running in background mode,  (Read 1404 times)
antfarmer
Board Newbie

WWW |

Allow making new galleries while the Publish ftp is running in background mode,  
« on: Nov 7th, 2008, 8:45pm »
Quote | Modify

I've always wished that the "Publish a Gallery" window was a bit more independent of the rest of the application, so it could upload galleries while I continue to work on generating new ones. Sometimes I come back from a trip and want to make 5 or 6 pages, but the main Gallerie application can't be used to create new pages until the upload is finished.
Also, I wish the FTP functions had a feature that would automatically restart the upload if the server times out or encounters some problem. That way I could start an upload and go to bed, and know that all the files would be transferred over night. It would also be nice to "batch" the upload of several galleries, so that I could generate several pages, put them in a list, and know that they would each be started as the others finished.
Finally, sometimes when I rotate an image in iPhoto, then add the photos from an event to Gallerie, some of the images come in the original orientation. This is rare, unpredictable, and I can't see any pattern to predict when this problem might occur. Perhaps iPhoto hasn't updated something in memory about the change in the image. I don't know if this is a Gallerie problem or an iPhoto problem, but it would be nice to have the assurance that photos will always come in as they appear in iPhoto. This problem happens only about one time in 20 or 30 sessions.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Board Full Member

Email

Re: Allow making new galleries while the Publish ftp is running in background mode,  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 8th, 2008, 3:42pm »
Quote | Modify

Could it be that you do not make full use of Galerie's FTP feature?

Quote:
Sometimes I come back from a trip and want to make 5 or 6 pages, but the main Gallerie application can't be used to create new pages until the upload is finished.

Not sure what you mean. Do you want to start uploading a gallery while it is still being generated? You should not upload a folder while its contents are changing. Or do you mean 'galleries' when you write 'pages'?

Quote:
It would also be nice to "batch" the upload of several galleries, so that I could generate several pages, put them in a list, and know that they would each be started as the others finished.

You do not need to start each gallery upload separately. If you keep a local copy of the web directory that contains your galleries, you can upload that whole folder at once. And if you keep a local copy of your website, you could even do that with all of your website. Make sure the target folder on the server matches the folder to be uploaded and Galerie will upload only the new or changed files, it will synchronize the folder on the server with the local folder.

Galerie is not a full-featured FTP application, its FTP function is just an addition to its main function, creating galleries. Better use a 'real' FTP application in case you need more flexible FTP functions or when you want to upload while using Galerie for creating galleries. In Galerie manual we suggest to use Cyberduck: http://cyberduck.ch/

Quote:
Finally, sometimes when I rotate an image in iPhoto, then add the photos from an event to Gallerie, some of the images come in the original orientation.

That is a iPhoto problem. To save the new orientation you may need to quit and relaunch iPhoto. See also the FAQ in Galerie manual for possible solutions.

Ronald.
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Send Topic | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Atelier Démocratique » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad