please Login or Register.
Dec 11th, 2017, 10:38am 
   Myriad Forum
   PDFtoMusic / PDFtoMusic Pro
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Where to get score editor software?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Where to get score editor software?  (Read 441 times)
Tambourineman
Board Newbie

Where to get score editor software?  
« on: Dec 6th, 2016, 3:18pm »
Quote | Modify

The info for PDFtoMusic and PDFtoMusicPro says:  

"Because it (presumably PDFtoMusic) only processes PDF files that have been exported from a score editor software,  PDFtoMusic offers a unique reliability and outstanding results.
Therefore, scanned sheet music cannot be managed by PDFtoMusic."

So where do I get a program that export what these need so PDFtoMusic  can manage it?  What are the names of some programs that do what is needed?
Didier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

Re: Where to get score editor software?  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 6th, 2016, 4:40pm »
Quote | Modify

Many (all ?) of score editors can print and so print on PDF to got vectorial PDF.

Best regards

Myriad Team
Tambourineman
Board Newbie

« Reply #2 on: Dec 6th, 2016, 6:36pm »
Quote | Modify

I still need to know the names of some score editors so I can endeavor to get them.
Andre_B
Board Master

« Reply #3 on: Dec 6th, 2016, 7:05pm »
Quote | Modify

It isn't too appropriate, in this Myriad forum, to recommend or advertize any score editor other than Harmony Assistant, or its subset Melody Assistant, both from Myriad as well.  

Of course, all editors have their advantages and weaknesses, or said differently can be more convenient for one or another depending on needs, skills and experience.  

PDFtoMusic is generally used by people obtaining a vector PDF from contacts on on the web. They will not care of which editor was used to produce that PDF.  

Or, users of a given score editor will PDF-print their scores prepared there, to import them using PDFtoMusic  into Harmony Assistant for further processing (e.g. with Virtual Singer).  

Would you mind explaining what you want to achieve, so as to give you a more useful answer. l

André Baeck, belge vivant dans le Gard
Tambourineman
Board Newbie

« Reply #4 on: Dec 6th, 2016, 7:40pm »
Quote | Modify

The reference to Harmony and Melody Assistants was all I needed to know.  

The don't say they scan the sheet music in the format needed by PDFtoMusic to use (manage).

The information on these  three program seems to indicate they will do what I would like - once I can convert what's on a piece of paper to the special electronic type of PDF document that PDFtoMusic requires.  The information says PDFtoMusic can't work with just a plain, ordinary pdf files.  The info for Harmony and Melody don't say they scan such paper sheets into such an electronic pdf format.
JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 7th, 2016, 9:15am »
Quote | Modify

on Dec 6th, 2016, 7:40pm, Tambourineman wrote:
The reference to Harmony and Melody Assistants was all I needed to know.  

The don't say they scan the sheet music in the format needed by PDFtoMusic to use (manage).

The information on these  three program seems to indicate they will do what I would like - once I can convert what's on a piece of paper to the special electronic type of PDF document that PDFtoMusic requires.  The information says PDFtoMusic can't work with just a plain, ordinary pdf files.  The info for Harmony and Melody don't say they scan such paper sheets into such an electronic pdf format.

I'm afraid you don't clearly see the issue: PDF files can contain text files, image files and combinations of these.

PDF files generated by score editors contain text files using specific fonts to represent musical figures and as such can be interpreted by PDFtoMusic.  

But if the PDF file you get is an image file, e.g. a scan of a score printed on paper, PDFtoMusic is not the appropriate tool, it just won't recognise anything.
There are other tools which are intended to recognise scores from a scan, personally I've tried to use some of them, but the result is often disappointing, and eventually I decide to rewrite the score myself from scratch.
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad