please Login or Register.
Apr 16th, 2024, 12:26pm 
   Myriad Forum
   PDFtoMusic / PDFtoMusic Pro
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Selecting multiple objects to Chords
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Selecting multiple objects to Chords  (Read 2068 times)
ernieman
Board Newbie

Email

Selecting multiple objects to Chords  
« on: Jun 7th, 2015, 9:13am »
Quote | Modify

I have the Trial Version of PDFtoMusicPro for Mac OSX, I am reading in the User Manual that one can select multiple objects by right-clicking - I assume on the Mac that would be control-clicking? It does not seem to work! Is this because this is only the Trial Version?

PDF2MusicPro seems not to recognize my Chord symbols even though they are in a line above the music. How can I change this globally?
bubu42
Board Master

Re: Selecting multiple objects to Chords  
« Reply #1 on: Jun 7th, 2015, 9:33am »
Quote | Modify

I am not sure, but I often hear that on Mac people use Command-click to achieve some of the controls we have on Windows. As for the trial version, I wouldn't say that this command has been inhibited in it.
Could you attach (at least one page of) your document to a post, so that we could see if chord recognition can be improved ,

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
ernieman
Board Newbie

Email

Re: Selecting multiple objects to Chords   Angel_Child.Guy_Rev.pdf
« Reply #2 on: Jun 7th, 2015, 10:44am »
Quote | Modify

Sure, here is a file attached. Please be aware that this is a copyrighted piece by a client of mine. Please notice on this piece that the Letter Names (A, B, C ) are recognized as Chords, but that the attached 7, 9, etc, are called "measure numbers", "text objects", or something else, where clearly they are part of the Chord Symbol.

On the Mac, it would be Control - Click, not what you stated. In fact, the Mac mouse can be set up to right-click if desired. But this is academic, it doesn't do anything in PDF2MusicPro at least in the Trial Version.
bubu42
Board Master

Re: Selecting multiple objects to Chords   Angel_Child.Guy_Rev.mxl
« Reply #3 on: Jun 7th, 2015, 12:17pm »
Quote | Modify

I've given a try to your file with PDF2M Pro (registered version) on Windows. I set the "allow chord name" on in the correction menu and the chords seem to be recognized as such, BUT...  
Only the basic chord name is recognized, not the added numbers (like 7, 6, +9, etc.) for more complex ones. Most of the time, the figures are labelled as "Direction" texts, sometimes as "bar numbers". The right click function allows me to change the figures into "chords" but they are not associated with the preceeding letter and in the exported file, only the basic chord appears (e.g. A7 becomes A, Db7 becomes Db) and the figures are purely dropped in the process.
I believe it is because they are  superscript and not regular type.
Sorry about the "command+click" suggestion. I don't know much about Mac OS. However, check the Correction>Allow chord name function. It should allow the right click on your machine.
I don't know whether you use Harmony Assistant (which is the default file type associated  with in the export function) so I attach the .xml file. I first imported the .pdf file into PDF2M, imported the result into HA then exported it into .mxl.
I'll point out the "superscript type" issue to Myriad people.

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
ernieman
Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 7th, 2015, 9:09pm »
Quote | Modify

Thanks. But FYI I still cannot get the Right-Click to work at all in the Mac version. Just to confirm, I can right-click on the message board here (the web browser), I can right-click in every other program on my computer. But it does not work in the Mac version of PDF2MusicPro, for some reason. Perhaps there is someone else here who can confirm that? I am running Mac OS 10.9.5 which is almost the latest version (10.10 is the latest). IF there was a way to select and change multiple objects (i.e., in this case all chord symbols) that would be great. By the same token, perhaps there is no standard in XML yet for handling chord symbols? I would be opening these in Sibelius. ALSO I notice that PDF2MP does NOT seem to recognize extension lines in the Lyrics, did you notice this in the sample I sent?  

One other thing... NO I do not have Harmony Assistant. Is there an advantage to having this? My purpose with PDF2MP is to convert my old files to Sibelius, so I would have no reason to use HA unless it somehow would enhance the conversion process.

THANKS

PS - I don't know how to open the file you just returned in PDF2MP. It seems not to want to open an XML file. Perhaps it got corrupted in transit?

PPS - actually, I can right-click but only in the Errors window, which seems to prove that my right-click is working, but not in the main program window....
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2015, 9:19pm by ernieman » offline
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #5 on: Jun 7th, 2015, 10:40pm »
Quote | Modify

on Jun 7th, 2015, 9:09pm, ernieman wrote:
Thanks. But FYI I still cannot get the Right-Click to work at all in the Mac version. Just to confirm, I can right-click on the message board here (the web browser), I can right-click in every other program on my computer. But it does not work in the Mac version of PDF2MusicPro, for some reason. Perhaps there is someone else here who can confirm that? I am running Mac OS 10.9.5 which is almost the latest version (10.10 is the latest). IF there was a way to select and change multiple objects (i.e., in this case all chord symbols) that would be great. By the same token, perhaps there is no standard in XML yet for handling chord symbols?

So, there is nothing wrong with the right-click procedure on your machine. After all, the function may be disabled in PDF2M trial version. I do hope someone running Mac OS will confirm.
As for the batch changing of objects, I don't think there is such a function in PDF2M. Quote:

I would be opening these in Sibelius.

So all you need is a file type that Sibelius is able to open. Xml is the right choice. Quote:

ALSO I notice that PDF2MP does NOT seem to recognize extension lines in the Lyrics, did you notice this in the sample I sent?

I hadn't checked that but you are right. I don't get the melismas (extension lines) painted int the same colour as the lyrics in the processed file. However, when I open the file in HA, the melismas are present. Quote:

One other thing... NO I do not have Harmony Assistant. Is there an advantage to having this? My purpose with PDF2MP is to convert my old files to Sibelius, so I would have no reason to use HA unless it somehow would enhance the conversion process.

True, you don't really need HA if your purpose is to import into Sibelius. I just mentioned it because many PDF2M users are already HA users and I thought you were one of them. The easiest way for you would be to export from PDF2M in xml format and open the resulting file into Sibelius. Quote:

PS - I don't know how to open the file you just returned in PDF2MP. It seems not to want to open an XML file. Perhaps it got corrupted in transit?

Well, I primarily wanted to send the xml file but such a format is not allowed on this forum. So, I asked HA to export in mxl, which is a compressed file (but I'm not sure that the mxl standards are as accurate as xml ones). I'll try to zip the file instead. Quote:

PPS - actually, I can right-click but only in the Errors window, which seems to prove that my right-click is working, but not in the main program window....

This might suggest that the function is actually disabled in the trial version.

bubu42
Board Master

Re: Selecting multiple objects to Chords   Angel_Child.Guy_Rev.zip
« Reply #6 on: Jun 7th, 2015, 10:43pm »
Quote | Modify

Hello again !
Here is the .xml file exported from HA compressed in zip format. I should open all right into Sibelius, after unzipping, of course.
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2015, 10:44pm by bubu42 » offline

ernieman
Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 8th, 2015, 2:08am »
Quote | Modify

Right-click problem solved!!! I did not realize that you have to draw a marquee (draw a rectangle) around the objects that you want to select, while right-clicking!! Now I can select a whole row of chord symbols and change them all to "chords" instead of "free" or "measure numbers" or whatever.
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #8 on: Jun 12th, 2015, 6:33pm »
Quote | Modify

Just read on the blog (here) : the next version of PDF2M will include a special process to address superscripts.

ernieman
Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 12th, 2015, 8:15pm »
Quote | Modify

This is good news (about addressing superscripts)!! By the way, about my previous post - control -click - drag for Mac users... If this could be changed (explained) in the Online Manual this would sure help others. I don't know on Windows if this is also right-click drag (?) but in any case, explaining the "drag" part would help.
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad