please Login or Register.
Nov 20th, 2017, 8:31pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Other subjects
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   web page
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: web page  (Read 2607 times)
pyjac
Board Newbie

web page  
« on: May 26th, 2008, 7:39pm »
Quote | Modify

why would a web page be different depending on what computor you are using. On most monitors the web page is perfect but on some the text is changed (font) and images appeared in different places?

thank you...pyjac
Albert_KW
Board Senior Member

Re: web page  
« Reply #1 on: May 26th, 2008, 7:52pm »
Quote | Modify

I would suggest that the changing font may be caused by the fact that this font is not installed on some computer while it is on others. If in the makup of the web page the position of the images is linked to a certain possition in the text, then different fonts (with different spacing) will move the images as well.

I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

As far as I know (and that's not very far    ) it should make no great difference what computer you use. Although I must admit that I have seen some very clumsy websites. The Myriad website is not one of these, by the way.  

A.
pyjac
Board Newbie

« Reply #2 on: May 26th, 2008, 8:00pm »
Quote | Modify

Thank you very much, could you tell me if there is a way that I could set up a web page that would always be the same , whatever machine open the page

Albert_KW
Board Senior Member

« Reply #3 on: May 26th, 2008, 8:11pm »
Quote | Modify

I'm not all that technical, but there are two things I would consider logical.

1- Only use standard system fonts that can be found on any computer (windows, Mac, whatever)

2- If you want to use extravagant fonts you may consider creating a JPG or GIF image of the text and place the text on the site as an image.

The disadvantage of an image is that it cannot change. So you will have to limit yourself to the smallest screen. The advantage is that you can use whatever font you like. However, most websites adapt to the size of the screen. So on a large screen your image text will look rather odd.

As said, I'm not technical. There may be other ways to get text displayed as you want it, but you would have to find someone with technical knowledge to advise you.

A.
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2008, 8:12pm by Albert_KW » offline
pyjac
Board Newbie

« Reply #4 on: May 26th, 2008, 8:16pm »
Quote | Modify

Thank you...
JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

« Reply #5 on: May 27th, 2008, 9:03am »
Quote | Modify

on May 26th, 2008, 7:39pm, pyjac wrote:
why would a web page be different depending on what computor you are using. On most monitors the web page is perfect but on some the text is changed (font) and images appeared in different places?

In fact the real question should be "how can web pages appear very similar on different computers". A web page is in fact a set of files interpreted by a program, called "browser", on the target computer. The way it displays on screen depends on the environment: operating system (which version of Mac OS or Windows), the browser (IE, Safari, Firefox Opera, and which version of them), installed fonts, screen dimensions, etc.
Some people try to make pages which look practically the same, some other ones want to make them automatically adapted to the environment, e.g. display pictures adapted to the size of the screen, or taking advantage of the specific features supported by browsers.
If you have a specific web page in mind, please give us the web address, I'll try to figure out what is really specific in that page that makes it sensitive to change of environment.
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2008, 9:04am by JP » offline
PHP
Board Master

WWW |

« Reply #6 on: May 27th, 2008, 10:04am »
Quote | Modify

You can also make you website using Adobe Flash

Le Vol Blanc de l'Effraie -- Pierre H Cravan
JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

« Reply #7 on: May 27th, 2008, 10:11am »
Quote | Modify

on May 27th, 2008, 10:04am, PHP wrote:
You can also make you website using Adobe Flash

You're right, but it's an expensive tool. Or is there any freeware equivalent?
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2008, 11:05am by JP » offline
pyjac
Board Newbie

« Reply #8 on: May 27th, 2008, 9:45pm »
Quote | Modify

merci, les fonts étaient le problème
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad