please Login or Register.
Sep 26th, 2018, 3:51pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   MusiTek SmartScore, useful?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: MusiTek SmartScore, useful?  (Read 595 times)
deejey
Board Junior Member

HA+VS newbie

MusiTek SmartScore, useful?  
« on: Feb 21st, 2018, 1:33pm »
Quote | Modify

I've been having a play with Musitek's SmartScore demo scan to music software. Unlike PDFtoMusic, it will scan any tidy sheet music (not just pdf output from music software) with predictably mixed results. The SongBook desktop version (with MusicXML output) is a bit expensive  for me but the Midi desktop version looks fairly attractive if HA will import it's midi output .  
Has anyone tried it ? It should work but who knows?

Windows 7 & 10 & MacBook Pro HS
HA 9.8.0e + VS
Choir member.
Lagaffe
Board Master

Email

Re: MusiTek SmartScore, useful?  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21st, 2018, 5:52pm »
Quote | Modify

PDF to Music will not scan any pdf, only pdf which comes out of a music program.
Depending of the program (and of the man ho was behind the keyboard to write the score) the result is usually good enough.
If you find a midi file HA will import it.

Pourquoi faire simple... Quand on peut faire compliqué ?
iMac 27, Macbook pro
HA 9.6.3i, HA 9.8
Melody Player 6.5.0
Mac OS Sierra
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #2 on: Feb 21st, 2018, 6:10pm »
Quote | Modify

on Feb 21st, 2018, 1:33pm, deejey wrote:
the Midi desktop version looks fairly attractive if HA will import it's midi output . Has anyone tried it ? It should work but who knows?
You'd better try a few MIDI imports first... When exchanging data via MIDI, you'll lose the page layout and quite a few other features like effects or texts. Moreover, the quantization can give weird results (that's a point you have to check in HA)
Alf7
Board Junior Member

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21st, 2018, 10:56pm »
Quote | Modify

Bonjour,
J'ai fait un commentaire en 2016 à propos du SmartScore :

on Sep 3rd, 2016, 5:54pm, Alf7 wrote:

Bonjour,  

D'avance mes excuses si vous trouvez fautes des d'orthographe ou de rédaction. J'adore le français mais je ne suis pas francophone.

A propos de Photoscore et SmartScore.

Comme sûrement vous le savez, une version "light" de chacun sont inclues dans Sibelius et Finale, respectivement.

J'ai eu l'occasion de tester les deux en versions "stand alone" (Photoscore Ultimate et SmartScore Pro) sur différentes partitions. Les deux ont fait le job mais le résultat à été toujours aléatoire.  
Cela dépend bien sûr de la partition, de l'état de la photocopie, de la définition etc.

SmartScore doit convertir le fichier en image .tif, mais il le fait rapidement.
Dans mon expérience SmartScore reconnait mieux les paroles.
A mon avis PhotoScore à une interfase plus "friendly".

L'export d'un document .xml es bien sûr ok chez les deux, cependant au moment d'ouvrer le document en Harmony Assistant j'ai remarqué des différences comme par exemple plusieurs (plusieurs!) voix vides dans une seule portée.
Je n'ai aucune connaissance du vaste univers du .xml, alors ma tête :

Pour la saisie des paroles, je préfère de le faire sur Harmony Assistant.
C'est plus rapide pour moi d'effacer toutes les paroles sur le document .myr et de les saisir -de zéro- , à la place de les corriger.

Je cherche encore une solution pour ne pas devoir copier les paroles...
Toute suggestion bienvenue.

Alf7

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2018, 10:58pm by Alf7 » offline
Alf7
Board Junior Member

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21st, 2018, 10:57pm »
Quote | Modify

Voici un lien interessant concernant l'ORC en musique :

http://www.partitionnumerique.com/music-ocr/
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2018, 10:57pm by Alf7 » offline
Lagaffe
Board Master

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22nd, 2018, 8:41am »
Quote | Modify

Après avoir parcouru l'article j'en conclus que l'OCR musical performant n'est pas pour demain, surtout si on rajoute la difficulté des différentes notations.  
J'y avais un peu cru avec Omer, mais j'ai vite déchanté, on passait plus de temps à corriger les erreurs qu'à écrire toute la partition.

La qualité des pdf musicaux trouvés sur le net est très variable, certains ne nécessitent aucune retouche après pdfTo Music, d'autres sont inexploitables. Le défaut le plus courant est la confusion entre les notes pointées et les barres de reprise.

Pourquoi faire simple... Quand on peut faire compliqué ?
iMac 27, Macbook pro
HA 9.6.3i, HA 9.8
Melody Player 6.5.0
Mac OS Sierra
deejey
Board Junior Member

HA+VS newbie

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22nd, 2018, 2:43pm »
Quote | Modify

Thanks all. The group experience seems to echo my suspicion.  

The Musitek authors accept that translation results can be mixed but suggest that correction of the results can be faster than notation from 'scratch'.  
I spend hours notating from sheet music (pdf or printed pdf, but mostly not from music software) and I am therefore always interested in the possibility of a shortcut. The limitations of midi transfer to HA are known to me but the Musitek midi software is cheaper than the MusicXML and if it saves me some manhours, perhaps it will be worth it.
Apologies if this does not translate to French or Spanish very well.

HA 9.8.0e + VS
Choir member.
PaulL
Board Senior Member

Organist and choir director

« Reply #7 on: Feb 24th, 2018, 4:41pm »
Quote | Modify

For what it's worth, I generally copy scores in ABC format and import them into HA.  It tries my patience less than trying to use the HA interface, because whether entering notes directly or by means of the virtual keyboard, I hate having to change note values all the time.

Of course, I am mostly entering hymns and short anthems.  But I did copy the score of Haydn's Emperor quartet (I love the melody of the slow movement), and it was not nearly the ordeal to create the ABC file that one might imagine!
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2018, 4:41pm by PaulL » offline

Le silence éternel des espaces infinis m'effraie.
Church musician

HA+VS+PdfToMusic Win 10
deejey
Board Junior Member

HA+VS newbie

« Reply #8 on: Feb 27th, 2018, 2:58pm »
Quote | Modify

on Feb 24th, 2018, 4:41pm, PaulL wrote:
For what it's worth, I generally copy scores in ABC format and import them into HA.

PaulL: Sorry to ask the question for which the answer may seem obvious to others now, and perhaps me later, what is ABC format ?

As far as SmartScore is concerned, after playing with a scan to MIDI and a scan to XML (from a good quality print), I decided that I would probably not save myself much, if any, time. Little point in paying about $100 for the XML version when the subsequent editing takes nearly as long as tediously adding notes one at a time ! I imagine that there will be a page count threshold that tips the balance but I rarely run to more than 10-15 pages of SATB + accompaniment.

HA 9.8.0e + VS
Choir member.
PaulL
Board Senior Member

Organist and choir director

« Reply #9 on: Mar 6th, 2018, 5:36pm »
Quote | Modify

Sorry to be so late in replying.  I was forced to buy a new computer, and I have been wrestling with Windows 10 and how it screws up my pen tablet.  I also had problems with my Excel application for planning music at the church where I play.  So, as you can imagine, I have been busy . . .

At any rate, ABC format was devised originally for the notation of folk songs, and it allows notating them using text only to indicate pitch and duration of notes (naturally it also handles lyrics).  The notation has been extended over the years to allow multiple voices (staves), chords, grace notes, and so forth.  I personally find it a bit less clunky for inputting notes into HA than the other available methods, though given the nature of the chore, it's never going to be truly easy (though Daniel wrote a very useful script, which I believe is called QuickEdit, that you might also like, but there again, as with everything, I have my issues--no offense, Daniel!).

HA can import and export ABC files quite handily.  If you want an idea of what the notation looks like, export a favorite score and then look at it with a text editor.  For full information about the standard and its extensions, consult the home page, http://abcnotation.com/, which also used to have links to various highly-helpful tutorials.  If you can't find those links, a quick Google search should turn them up.  I used to have them bookmarked, but that was two or three computers ago . . .

A bit of cross-checking will also show you how HA handles specifying instruments and other details for the staves (which is, of course, non-standard and proprietary to Myriad, but is also highly useful).

Le silence éternel des espaces infinis m'effraie.
Church musician

HA+VS+PdfToMusic Win 10
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad