please Login or Register.
Feb 25th, 2018, 5:20am 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Problems with page mode
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Problems with page mode  (Read 206 times)
bassmale
Board Newbie

Problems with page mode  
« on: Jan 30th, 2018, 6:06pm »
Quote | Modify

Can the page layout as seen in page mode be adjusted independent of engraver mode tools?

I seem only to be able to make certain adjustments while in engraver mode, but the result is the engraver layout has to be "wrong" to make any improvement to the page mode display. Trying to adjust what I see in page mode by having to be in engraver is surely wrong!

Or should I be making adjustments only in printer set-up?

I have adjusted stave heights and spacings so much that it all looks wrong in engraver mode, but with improved page mode look, though I am still unable to get things as I want them! Help please!
bubu42
Board Master

Re: Problems with page mode  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30th, 2018, 10:02pm »
Quote | Modify

on Jan 30th, 2018, 6:06pm, bassmale wrote:
I seem only to be able to make certain adjustments while in engraver mode
Could you give an example of such adjustments. Quote:

I have adjusted stave heights and spacings so much that it all looks wrong in engraver mode
If it looks wrong, it's expected to print wrong as well.
The best thing to do is attach your file to a post explaining what you are aiming at and what you've done to reach your goal.
bassmale
Board Newbie

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30th, 2018, 11:24pm »
Quote | Modify

Thank you. I have now discovered the tick box to display handles in page mode. I had thought before that these controls were only available in scroll mode.  

I have also since persevered with the understanding of the red triangles, and read your documentation that explains what each one controls.

I will now try and untangle the overlapping staves by proper positioning of each stave's triangles. Hopefully with better understanding I shall be able to achieve the result I want.

Thank you for responding to my rather vague enquiry!
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30th, 2018, 11:33pm »
Quote | Modify

on Jan 30th, 2018, 11:24pm, bassmale wrote:
I have also since persevered with the understanding of the red triangles, and read your documentation that explains what each one controls.
Just a little reminder : when moving the control handles (like red triangles) the change will be applied to all the lines of the score. But if you hold down the Ctrl key, it will be applied only to the current line...
You can also have a look at the page display setup for the justification of staves groups on the page, the last bar, etc.
PaulL
Board Senior Member

Organist and choir director

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31st, 2018, 1:47pm »
Quote | Modify

You may also find "Score > Apply > Delete local positions" to be helpful in getting things back to a new starting point.  Alternatively, you can sort everything out in Scroll mode and then return to Page mode to fine-tune.

Another thing that occasionally affects the appearance negatively is a checkbox in the Engraver Mode Setup window labeled "Enhanced mode."  If things still look a little off, try checking or unchecking this box to see what difference it makes.  Some scores I created years ago under old versions of HA developed annoying problems a couple of versions ago, and the solution was to uncheck this box; other scores of mine, however, look better with it checked.

Le silence éternel des espaces infinis m'effraie.

Church musician
HA+VS+PdfToMusic Win XP
bassmale
Board Newbie

« Reply #5 on: Jan 31st, 2018, 4:39pm »
Quote | Modify

Thank you gentlemen! I have mastered another skill now and all problems resolved. I'm really pleased with the result and now I understand the tools, they are really easy to use to perfect the final layout of the score.

I am hoping to find a way of laying out the score in 2 columns in A3 landscape, folded to produce an A4 portrait "booklet". To do this I will need to be able to specify the page order, e.g. page 1 and page 6 (front and back pages) in side-by-side columns, 2 and 5, 3 and 4.

I'm hoping I can do this in the HA page set-up but haven't looked yet. If you believe this can't be done, I'd be grateful to hear from you and for any suggestions in this respect.

I've produced a really sweet song for our TTBB+piano (male voice choir, saved it as mp3, have the score now as pdf - so I'm thoroughly grateful to the Myriad people and this forum for getting not just this result but a platform from which to build to produce other music.

Thank you all!
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #6 on: Jan 31st, 2018, 5:14pm »
Quote | Modify

Usually, the booklet format (2 A4 pages per side in A3 format, recto/verso) is managed by the printer's pilot. So, you only need to set the page numbers in HA.

However, for some "complicated" page layouts I use an external freeware : the Draw module of LibreOffice. I first export all the music from HA (A4 portrait page setup) in .svg format*,  which gives me one file per page. Then I can create whatever page (A3/A4 booklet) and import the .svg files to build the final document. That way, I can even merge several scores into one document, include external pictures, etc.  

*I find that HA isn't perfect on the .pdf export, that's why I prefer using .svg exports. It works wonderfully.
Daniel Frouvelle
Board Master

WWW | Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 31st, 2018, 6:58pm »
Quote | Modify

Bonjour bassmale, essaie d'utiliser le script "Impression des recueils" : Scripts > Print > Print song book qui fait exactement cela. Afficher la fenêtre d'aide pour avoir des explications sur son fonctionnement.
Amistats, Danièl
bassmale
Board Newbie

« Reply #8 on: Feb 1st, 2018, 5:20pm »
Quote | Modify

Merci beaucoup à tous les deux. Vous m'avez sauvé beaucoup de recherche et d'expérimentation!
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad