please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 6:00am 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Linux for HA?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Linux for HA?  (Read 366 times)
Tony Deff
Board Master

Email

Linux for HA?  
« on: Jan 11th, 2018, 4:21pm »
Quote | Modify

(First, a distraction to the above subject ...)
on Jan 10th, 2018, 10:31pm, PaulL wrote:
J'avais des difficultés mysterieuses l'année passée, la cause en était des secteurs mauvais du disque dur...
{mysterious difficulties caused by bad disc sectors}

My two Samsung Spinpoint HDD (Hard Disc/disk Drives) have been operating without error or bad sector for 13 years.
I am not the only user to praise their reliability; however, it is now prudent to fit two new larger-capacity versions.

Is it also time to abandon Windows for Linux?  Will that cause a separate set of problems with HA and with the Sound Card?  

Which distribution is best for H.A., for simplicity and would also permit old Windows programs to run?  

Your opinions, please ... Thanking you in advance.

Anglophone, HA 64 Win.10.
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.
bubu42
Board Master

Re: Linux for HA?  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11th, 2018, 6:07pm »
Quote | Modify

on Jan 11th, 2018, 4:21pm, Tony Deff wrote:
Which distribution is best for H.A., for simplicity and would also permit old Windows programs to run?
Your opinions, please ... Thanking you in advance.

I've been testing a combination that suits me very well :
My computer runs the latest Ubuntu LTS distribution.  
The hardware is not "Formula 1" (1 To HD, Intel I3 3.4 GHz, 4 Go RAM).  
Most of the "office" tasks are done with LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird and I've installed a Virtual Machine with a copy of Windows XP, which allows me to run HA for Windows and other software specific for Windows. A shared folder stores all my data and is accessible to Linux or Windows.
As I often use freeware stuff, the programs exist both for Windows and Linux, but I can also use Wine (a software that emulates Windows and allows me to run Windows specific programs -though not all of them) The main troubles appear when it comes to printing as the printers' drivers are not as good on Linux as they are on Windows (Canon and Brother, in my case)
On my daughter's computer, there is a dual boot : Vista/Linux. I must say that 99% of the time, she boots on Linux...
As for the "best" Linux distribution, I wouldn't even think of debating. When you read Linux forums, there's always a battle among afficionados supporting this or that version...

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad