please Login or Register.
Nov 20th, 2017, 6:31pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Scrolling jerky despite lots of CPU time
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Scrolling jerky despite lots of CPU time  (Read 157 times)
SavedSounds-1
Board Newbie

Scrolling jerky despite lots of CPU time  
« on: Nov 10th, 2017, 6:46pm »
Quote | Modify

I'm trying to screen capture some parts for my choir, by having Harmony Assistant play a score, but the scrolling is jerky. I found many references claiming that a jerky scroll is due Harmony Assistant giving priority to music output over scrolling. Yet... after trying various Optimize and other options, (increase buffers, decrease buffers, etc.) nothing made a difference: the jerks are always the same.  
I went into Task Manager, and bumped the priority to above normal. Still no change. Then I let HA run with just the task manager as well. It was only using 9-12% of the CPU, everything else 0-sometimes 1%. Yet the scrolling is still just as jerky. It starts out smooth at the beginning, while only the line is moving. Once the music needs to scroll across the page, there is a jerk at the start of every bar. After that jerk, the rest of the bar is smooth. But no matter what I do, there is a jerk at the start of every bar. Even when I shrank the window for the piece down to 3 bars wide, instead of the whole screen. The jerk is always about the same duration.
Since most of my CPU is idle, I don't think this is due to CPU time limits. What else can be done to fix this?
More details:
3 vocal parts with lyrics, 1 oboe for 6 bars during vocal rests, 2 staves for right and left hand of keyboard.
Scroll mode (not paginated)
Windows 7 Ultimate, 2.5Ghz CPU, on a machine with an SSD for its internal OS hard drive.
Desole: je comprend seulement un tres petit peu de francais, mais ne suffit pas. Et je n'ai pas un clavier francais pour des accents et des cedilles.
PaulL
Board Full Member

Re: Scrolling jerky despite lots of CPU time  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11th, 2017, 3:07am »
Quote | Modify

Could you post the file for us to look at?  Also, does the same behavior occur in Page Mode?

Is hardware acceleration on or off for your video card?
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2017, 3:12am by PaulL » offline

En boca cerrada no entran moscas.
SavedSounds-1
Board Newbie

« Reply #2 on: Nov 11th, 2017, 7:52pm »
Quote | Modify

Thanks for your speedy response!

Sorry, I can't attach the file: it is 1036kB. I tried to shorten it. In fact, I deleted all but 4 bars, and... the problem still happens, and the file is still too big, 1004kB. Can I get you the file another way?

What seems to be happening, is that there is a jump from the start of the bar to where the red triangle on top is, marking the start of notation within the bar.

And yes, it also happens in page mode. In fact, even the bars at the start are jerky.

You can look at what I captured from my display at  
https://youtu.be/qxOYRqPmJgw

I have no clue yet if I have hardware acceleration, the troubleshoot button in advanced in display settings is greyed out, and it looks like I have to figure out how to get into my bios to answer that question.
PaulL
Board Full Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13th, 2017, 5:12pm »
Quote | Modify

Wow!  I see what you mean.  Now that you have pointed out the problem, I see it quite clearly on my scores, too.  But I never noticed before, because of my margin settings.

You won't be able to eliminate the jumping entirely, but you can cut it down significantly by setting the left margin of the bars to 6 or 9.

Do this in Scroll Mode (to avoid potential problems):  highlight the entire score, right-click on any bar but the first, and set the left and right margins.  I generally use 6 or 9 for the left margin, and 0 for the right.  If the left margin of the first bar ends up too narrow, just adjust it by eye, or try setting it somewhere in the neighborhood of 48 to 65.  (In the case of this piece, however, on my score I had to set the left margin of the first bar to 89, in order to get the double sharp on the F to show correctly.)

En boca cerrada no entran moscas.
SavedSounds-1
Board Newbie

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16th, 2017, 11:42pm »
Quote | Modify

Thanks for reproducing this!

I'm not sure your solution will work for me: I've adjusted many, many margins to make the lyrics look sensible and readable. I'll have to trade off my users not being able to read words because they run together, or jerkiness in the video.

Thanks anyways.
Didier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17th, 2017, 11:10am »
Quote | Modify

Did you tried to uncheck "precise position" in Play panel of General setup ?

Best regards

Myriad Team
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad