Myriad Forum « whats with .bak files? could you please reply here? »
 Welcome, Guest.
 You can read all messages, but to be able to post,
 please Login or Register.
Dec 16th, 2017, 2:18pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   whats with .bak files? could you please reply here?

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: whats with .bak files? could you please reply here?  (Read 798 times)
Garf
Board Junior Member

whats with .bak files? could you please reply here?  
« on: Apr 19th, 2008, 2:12am »
Quote | Modify

everytime i create a new file in melody assistant it creates a .bak automatically. I know these are backup files, but is there any way to stop them from automaticaly creating bak files, and if there is no way, could you please tell me how to use the files, what purpose they are there for.

THANKS!

Garf

User of Harmony Assistant 9.4.5
GMSE Base
Windows Vista SP1
Didier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

Re: whats with .bak files? could you please reply here?  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19th, 2008, 7:49am »
Quote | Modify

Global setup, "save" pannel.

Best regards

Myriad Team
Albert_KW
Board Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19th, 2008, 8:35am »
Quote | Modify

As I understand it the .bak file is not created on "Save". It is your original file which is renamed and a new "original" file is then written. Each time a file is written, something can go wrong (the software may collapse on you, for instance) so that your file cannot be reopened. I work in the graphics industry and we work withy very large files. I have often seen this happen. The .bak file then gives you the opportunity to return to the the last file prior to your last "save" action so your work is not completely lost.

In MA an HA I have never needed this yet, but in the graphics business I would welcome such .bak files very much. Like you I eventually throw these files away, but I am still very pleased with this back up opportunity, just in case. You can switch it off, but my advice is to keep these files until you are sure you no longer need them. In my opinion these .bak files are "smart thinking".  

A.
PaulL
Board Full Member

Organist and choir director

« Reply #3 on: Dec 2nd, 2017, 9:50pm »
Quote | Modify

I find that the .BAK files are not generally necessary in terms of the program's messing up, but if it's tricky to get the score to look the way I want, the more likely I am to need to revert to an earlier version at some point.

In HA you can set the program to remind you to save every so often (you can specify the interval), and you can also specify the number of backups produced.

Le silence éternel des espaces infinis m'effraie.

Church musician
HA+VS+PdfToMusic Win XP
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad