please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:17pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Display and print size
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Display and print size  (Read 2115 times)
DerekH
Board Full Member

WWW | Email

Display and print size  
« on: Nov 3rd, 2007, 9:38pm »
Quote | Modify

I have two scores.  In both, I have selected Medium in Staff Display Options>Notation Size, yet the staves and all symbols are different sizes in the two scores.  Everything is bigger in one score; smaller in the other.  It seems there must be a scale factor that I am unaware of.  I've searched for it without success.

Please can someone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance.

Derek

Derek Hatley
Derek@HatleyMusic.com
http://www.hatleymusic.com
Albert_KW
Board Senior Member

Re: Display and print size  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:40pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi Derek
 I have no idea about scale factors you may be unaware of but there are some things you could check:

The first thing to check is the number below the option "medium size". There is a balk with a scale numeber. Is that the same in both documents?

The second thing to look for is the scale factor on screen. In the document, (bottom left) is a magnifying glas. Does that give the same magnification in both documents?

If you export to a graphic file, what is the hight of the staves? The medium size should be just over 3mm the standard size is just over 4mm. Is that the same in both documents?

If this does not help, how about creating two new documents with the same settings and copying the complete scores into these. Are they still different then?

kind regards,  
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #2 on: Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:53pm »
Quote | Modify

on Nov 3rd, 2007, 9:38pm, DerekH wrote:
I have two scores.  In both, I have selected Medium in Staff Display Options>Notation Size, yet the staves and all symbols are different sizes in the two scores.  Everything is bigger in one score; smaller in the other.  It seems there must be a scale factor that I am unaware of.  I've searched for it without success.

Please can someone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance.

Derek

In the File>Printing options there is a scale factor (printing scale, from 10 to 100%). It might be the one you are looking for...  
By the way, I can advise you to take a look (in the same window as above) at the "paper size" button. By default, it is based on the current printer setup, but it is wise to set it to a chosen paper size. If you ever change printers (or have the file printed on another machine) there will be no changes in the layout.

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
DerekH
Board Full Member

WWW | Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 3:50pm »
Quote | Modify

Thanks to both Albert and Buba for your responses.

on Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:40pm, Albert_KW wrote:
Hi Derek
 I have no idea about scale factors you may be unaware of but there are some things you could check:

The first thing to check is the number below the option "medium size". There is a balk with a scale numeber. Is that the same in both documents?

The second thing to look for is the scale factor on screen. In the document, (bottom left) is a magnifying glas. Does that give the same magnification in both documents?

If you export to a graphic file, what is the hight of the staves? The medium size should be just over 3mm the standard size is just over 4mm. Is that the same in both documents?

If this does not help, how about creating two new documents with the same settings and copying the complete scores into these. Are they still different then?

kind regards,  

The number below "Medium Size" is 54 for both scores.

On a printout, the larger sized staves are 6.5 mm. The smaller staves are just over 4 mm.  Are you sure about your numbers? 3 mm. seems very small.  The size difference appears on the screen the same as on the printout.

You're right, I could create new documents, but I hate to not understand something and just leave it.

on Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:53pm, bubu42 wrote:

In the File>Printing options there is a scale factor (printing scale, from 10 to 100%). It might be the one you are looking for...  
By the way, I can advise you to take a look (in the same window as above) at the "paper size" button. By default, it is based on the current printer setup, but it is wise to set it to a chosen paper size. If you ever change printers (or have the file printed on another machine) there will be no changes in the layout.

The printing options scale factor was a parameter I found, and both documents have it set at 100%.  But since this difference appears on the screen as well, I didn't expect that to make a difference.

Both documents have Paper Size set to Current Printer, but I take your point about changing that.  However, that doesn't seem to be the cause of my present issue.

Does anyone have any more ideas?

Derek Hatley
Derek@HatleyMusic.com
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #4 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 4:29pm »
Quote | Modify

Well, I'm running out of ideas. But the idea of copying the staves to a new document isn't so bad...  
If the difference still appears, that means the problem is with the staves setup. If not, it is probably due to the main program itself.

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
Albert_KW
Board Senior Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 7:06pm »
Quote | Modify

You are right Derek, I generally export to a percentage so my numbers were not correct.

Having set everything to 100% I did the measurement again and came to the following numbers:
Small = 5,25mm
Medium = 6,60mm
Standard = 8,71mm
Large = 12,94mm

So you larger size staves seem correct. The smaller are about 64% of that. Like Bubu I've run out of ideas. I cannot find any other place where you can set a scale factor.

Something that might be worth trying is to create a new document and to import a staff from both documents to see if they are still different. If they are then it is likely to be a staff setting and not a software issue or a general document setting.
DerekH
Board Full Member

WWW | Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 9:32pm »
Quote | Modify

Thanks for your help, guys.  I can't afford to spend any more time on this issue, so I'm going to take the new document route.  Maybe I'll come back to it some day.

Thanks again,

Derek

Derek Hatley
Derek@HatleyMusic.com
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad