please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 12:29am 
   Myriad Forum
   Melody Assistant / Harmony Assistant
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Sending music files by E-mail
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Sending music files by E-mail  (Read 5460 times)
mrsmop
Board Newbie

Email

Sending music files by E-mail  
« on: Aug 16th, 2002, 6:18pm »
Quote | Modify

I wish to send a friend of mine a music file by E-mail, but when I try a test the file has the 'windows' logo next to it and will only open in 'Notepad' or suggests opening in 'Wordpad' neither of which play music files.  

Can anyone tell me I I have to sett something somewhere so that i can send the music that I have saved in melody so that they can be heard by others?

Thanks, mrsmop
marce
Beta-tester
Board Master

SouthAmerican Folk Music & Classic Music, Worship

Re: Sending music files by E-mail  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16th, 2002, 6:45pm »
Quote | Modify

Normally, when you do double click on a .mus archive (Melody or Harmony ones), Melody will open it. But sometimes the windows registry corrupts and the associations with the files are missed. You must re-associate it. The easiest way is click the right button + shift on the icon of the .mus file, you will see a menu with the option "Open with...." there is a list, select Melody Assistant (if it is not in the list, use "Open with another program"), and be sure that "always open with this program" is checked.
If your friend dont have Melody installed, you must say him to download in the Melody home page a program called "Melody Player" that allows him to play the files youhave created
see it at
http://www.myriad-online.com/melodyplayer.htm
well, if you dont understand much me is because im not english speaker  
luck

Marcelo Colina
Kindergarden music teacher (yeah, i work with the big ones
My music Motagator
Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #2 on: Aug 16th, 2002, 10:51pm »
Quote | Modify

For me, I have a strange problem with Franck Aguila.
He works on Mac and I work on PC Windows.
When he send me files by e-mail I cannot read these files. Melody imports them as raw data.
When he send these files by ftp, he can't read them, I must delete some hexadecimal symbol at the start of the file until I see "S O L F..." at the beginning of the file... and here I can open them in Melody.

HA+HQ+VS+PdfToM, Reaper+Audiveris+Transcribe, Win10+Focusrite Scarlet 4i4+Nord Electro 3
Linktree: VS languages, my scripts, my bands, my performances...
Mark Strange
Beta-tester
Board Junior Member

g3marko
WWW | Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 17th, 2002, 12:10am »
Quote | Modify

Hi,

I work on a Mac and all our files contain data info, creater codes, and resources (icon artwork etc.). To avoid problems when sending files by email, I will sometimes Zip or Stuff them thus ensuring that all file information is retained.

See if this can help with your problem.

Cheers,
Mark Strange
mrsmop
Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 17th, 2002, 8:47am »
Quote | Modify

Thanks for the suggestions. I shall see what happens.

mrsmop (Janet)
COMALite J
Beta-tester
Board Master

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 4th, 2002, 3:19am »
Quote | Modify

Sylvain, here is a somewhat technical but hopefully still useful explanation for what you're seeing:

The Mac-to-PC problem has to do with resource forks. The Mac OS, but not any PC operating system, has a concept of "forks," which are the same as what other OSes call a "file" (a collection of allocation units [some OSes call these "clusters" -- each consisting of one or more sectors] on a disk drive, arranged by the filing system in an order that appears sequential to the OS itself, even though it may not be sequential [i. e. it may be "fragmented"] on the physical drive), but a file on the Mac OS has two forks: one for "data" and one for "resources."

Either fork may be of zero length, in which case it for all practical purposes doesn't exist (technically it does, but only at the directory entry level). A text file, for instance, would almost always have only a data fork, with a zero-length resource fork. An application program would have a large resource fork but a small, if present at all, data fork (if the data fork is used at all, it is often used to store registration information such as serial number). Some files, like original-format QuickTime movies, have both: the actual movie tracks (video, audio, etc.) are in the data fork, while the resource fork contains info on where each track begins in the data fork, and such info about it as its resolution, bit depth, codec, sampling rate (for audio), number of channels (for audio), etc. A "flattened" QuickTime movie has this information moved from the resource fork and added to the end of the data stream, so that it is playable on Windows. A "fast-start" QuickTime movie moves that information to the front of the file, so that the file doesn't have to be scanned all the way to its end before starting to play (much better for the internet!), and so on.

I'm not sure if Mac OS .MUS files use the resource fork or not (I've not played much with the Mac OS version of MA/HA). But if it does, then it can't be directly ported to a PC, and that is a problem.

MacBinary is a protocol intended to merge the two Mac OS forks into one data stream for transmission over the Internet and other methods that don't permit dual forks in a single file. This is done by attaching the Resource fork (if there is one) to the end of the Data fork, then adding a header at the beginning (128 bytes long in the original MacBinary and MacBinary II -- I don't know if this still holds for MacBinary III and up) that, among other things, tells the MacBinary decoder where the Data fork ends and the Resource fork begins. It also includes the MacOS File Type and Creator attributes of the file in question (unlike other OSes, the MacOS handles file types properly, as meta-data that is not easy for the end-user to see directly, let alone change, unlike the more common but disastrously-flawed method of using file name extensions to indicate the type of the file).

What is apparently happening here is that you're getting MacBinary-encoded .MUS files, with the header still intact. You can either remove the header manually as you've been doing, or download and install any of a number of freeware MacBinary decoder/stripper utils for Windows.
Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #6 on: Sep 4th, 2002, 9:46am »
Quote | Modify

OK Thanks a lot for your explanation

HA+HQ+VS+PdfToM, Reaper+Audiveris+Transcribe, Win10+Focusrite Scarlet 4i4+Nord Electro 3
Linktree: VS languages, my scripts, my bands, my performances...
Earl
Beta-tester
Board Junior Member

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 4th, 2002, 5:39pm »
Quote | Modify

A Google search on ".mus files" turned up 5 or 6 different programs, all unrelated, that use the .mus filetype.  There may be even more; I stopped looking after the sixth one. One is a type of midi file, two others are music notation programs (Finale and Noteworthy), one is in ASCII format.  Once when I installed a new version of Winamp, the Netscape media player, it associated .mus files with itself, and I had to go into the registry to change the association back to Harmony.  If .mus files have not been associated with MA/HA it is likely that double-clicking on one will cause some other program to try to open it.

Earl
Yannick MARCHEGAY
Beta-tester
Board Master

Un bagad ą Toulouse !

WWW | Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 4th, 2002, 6:39pm »
Quote | Modify

on Sep 4th, 2002, 5:39pm, Earl wrote:
A Google search on ".mus files" turned up 5 or 6 different programs, all unrelated, that use the .mus filetype.

Yes but all *.mus files are not compatible, unfortunately...

Le bagad bro Tolosa (Toulouse) recrute des percussionnistes.
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Cookies Last update:  (c) Myriad