Myriad Forum « Does the soundbase make other MIDIs sound better? »
 Welcome, Guest.
 You can read all messages, but to be able to post,
 please Login or Register.
Mar 30th, 2020, 8:57pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Myriad HQ / Sound Bases
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Does the soundbase make other MIDIs sound better?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Does the soundbase make other MIDIs sound better?  (Read 2437 times)
jblc
Board Newbie

Does the soundbase make other MIDIs sound better?  
« on: Dec 4th, 2012, 11:06pm »
Quote | Modify

A general question about the gold 1/2 soundbases. If I have a MIDI that someone else made, not made with MA/HA, can the gold soundbase make a nicer sound?

As an example, any of the MIDIs here sound poor with the existing GMSEbase (the strings especially):

http://www.kunstderfuge.com/brahms.htm

I'm hoping that if I purchase GOLD it will make this sound nice. If it can help, will the instruments automatically be mapped to the higher quality sounds?  

Thanks!
Paul

crimhead
Board Master

Mainz   Germany

WWW | Email

Re: Does the soundbase make other MIDIs sound better?  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 5th, 2012, 5:46am »
Quote | Modify

Hello

The Gold soundbase provides LOTS of sounds that are far better than the sounds of the GMSE soundbase. If they are worth the price you must decide yourself. Maybe you should check this page:
http://www.myriad-online.com/cgi-bin/bbs/YaBB.pl?board=goldbase;action=d isplay;num=1152082021
there are quite a few examples of what the Gold soundbase sounds like. Take your time to check them.

Best regards

Lutz

Please visit me at https://soundcloud.com/lutzstahlhofen/
jblc
Board Newbie

« Reply #2 on: Dec 5th, 2012, 10:42am »
Quote | Modify

Thank you, however I already know that it sounds much better  

What I'm curious about is whether a MIDI file created outside of MA/HA -- a random MIDI from the web -- will be able to automatically pull its data from the new soundbase, and sound better without me having to do anything other than import the MIDI file.

Or, do I have to remap each staff to the corresponding instrument in the new soundbase, select the correct version of that instrument, etc?
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #3 on: Dec 5th, 2012, 11:52pm »
Quote | Modify

Well, most of the time, after a MIDI import, the instruments are the right ones (e.g. a piano staff wil be set to piano, a trumpet satff to trumpet) but there are often several samples for the same instrument (pian 1, piano 2, grand piano 1, etc) and the MIDI import usually goes for the first one in the list.

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
jblc
Board Newbie

« Reply #4 on: Dec 6th, 2012, 12:32am »
Quote | Modify

Ah, I see, thank you. I just purchased the soundbase.  

Does anyone know if Melody *Player* can use the gold soundbase?

I purchased Melody Assistant many years ago, however I'd like to try the gold soundbase in Melody Player as well for several reasons.
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #5 on: Dec 6th, 2012, 8:20am »
Quote | Modify

On my machine, if I choose a Gold 2 instrument for a staff, it is also played in Melody Player. Yet, the sound sample isn't embedded in the file. So, if I play the same score on a machine where Gold 2 is not installed, the Gold 2 instrument is replaced by a standard instrment.

Harmony Assistant - Ubuntu + Wine et Windows XP sur machine virtuelle. VS, OMeR, PDF2M
jblc
Board Newbie

« Reply #6 on: Dec 6th, 2012, 10:36pm »
Quote | Modify

Thanks, that is helpful. What if Melody Player is installed on a machine with the gold soundbase, but that machine doesn't have HA or MA?  

Thus, I can't select the soundbase anywhere on that machine explicitly. Will melody player still select the gold soundbase?
Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #7 on: Dec 7th, 2012, 4:20pm »
Quote | Modify

on Dec 6th, 2012, 10:36pm, jblc wrote:
Thanks, that is helpful. What if Melody Player is installed on a machine with the gold soundbase, but that machine doesn't have HA or MA?  

Thus, I can't select the soundbase anywhere on that machine explicitly. Will melody player still select the gold soundbase?

Not tested but I think it should uses the Gold soundbase.

As for importing a random MIDI in MA/HA, as explained, the first equivalent instrument in gold is selected, but you can tweak this.
If your favorite trumpet is the "Legato natural trumpet", you can assign it by default : Configuration > Sound base > Define preferred sounds...
Not sure this setting apply in Melody Player. Need to test it!

VS languages |
demos on my MUSL
HA+VS+PdfToMusic Win7
Keyboards: Nord Electro 3, MIDI controller+Ketron SD4 expander
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad