Myriad Forum « Using the Gold Sound Database with other software? »
 Welcome, Guest.
 You can read all messages, but to be able to post,
 please Login or Register.
Oct 21st, 2014, 7:12pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Gold Sound Database
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Using the Gold Sound Database with other software?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Using the Gold Sound Database with other software?  (Read 1673 times)
Jaydeis
Board Newbie

Using the Gold Sound Database with other software?  
« on: Jun 22nd, 2011, 5:05am »
Quote | Modify

All right, first off, don't get me wrong.  I absolutely love using Melody Assistant, it's the best for writing classical style.  I can't even remember how long I've been working with it -- I started in middle school or so, and am now a college graduate and part of a music writing team for a certain webcomic.

However, that's where the problem comes in.  The team's style is more electronic, making my classical music seem like a bit of an odd duck in the group.  So, at the insistence of my peers, I am learning to write more electronic-style music with synthesizing software like FruityLoops.

But while the sound modification options in FL are fantastic, I find the instrument selection lacking, and there are so many times I've already found myself thinking, "I wish I could use some instruments from the Gold Sound Database".  (Especially the Natural Violin.  I love that violin.)

Unfortunately, I've located the sound database files, and they seem to all be rsr files, which apparently no software but Myriad programs understand.

I've tried manual exportation, but that only exports a single note, not the full set that makes the gorgeous sound found in Melody Assistant...

So, plain and simple, is there a way to use the Gold Sound Database files with other software?  Or is this just asking to have my cake and eat it too?  (On the other hand, if there IS a way to use it with other software, I know a group of synth artists who will likely be interested in investing in the Gold Sound Database...)

Thank you very much for any help!
muddle
Board Senior Member

WWW |

Re: Using the Gold Sound Database with other software?  
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22nd, 2011, 5:50am »
Quote | Modify

Interesting question.  I believe that the instrument files for HA  are a  unique format ... though it must be  similar to any other format  that contains instructions on how and when to play the included wav files.  

I just checked and it seems that Fruity loops can play soundfonts. Or import them.  
 All one would need to do  then ( ha ha)  is to save the instrument you want as a user one, and then you can export the wav files from the instruments  and turn them into a sound font.

Which is fairly straight forward if you have done that sort of thing before.
I don't have gold base so can't help directly, but quite possibly someone would convert a few instruments for you.  

cheers David.

Mp3's of User Instruments :- http://aaronlawrence.fastmail.fm/Music/userins.htm
You tube videos using HA or Virtual Singers:- http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMuddleglum#g/u
Jaydeis
Board Newbie

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22nd, 2011, 5:55am »
Quote | Modify

Yeah, that's what I tried to do.  But the Gold Sound Database instruments aren't so simple to convert, since they're created with multiple sounds, and it only lets you modify/export one in the User Instrument view.

And that one note is apparently only designed to sound right for a certain range, since it sounds completely off if you step too far outside of it.
muddle
Board Senior Member

WWW |

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:47am »
Quote | Modify

Yes, thats right.   You have to export  ALL samples of the instrument and then you can use the free program "vienna" to assemble them into the soundfont.
Vienna has a semi graphical interface where you can set the keyboard range of each sample and set any loop points.  
Oh ..  also you have to set the actual note number ...
( not as c1 or g3 etc but as a midi keyboard number ! augh i am not home now so cant  check,   I think mid c is 60 in vienna)
 .. of each sample to get it to play correctly.

If there are loop points it pays to take a note of them in the HA edit window ( its at the bottom right of the wav sample representation if I remmber right) .
  The reason being that vienna is an absloute pain for finding loop points that dont click and there is no smoothing "effect" to use as in HA.
You can just enter the loop point numbers in the loop edit of vienna.

Hmmm .. it sounds complicated!   Familiarity  helps .

have to stop .. cheers.

You tube videos using HA or Virtual Singers:- http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMuddleglum#g/u
Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:45am »
Quote | Modify

If I remember well, Guillion Bros have started to work on an interface to use Gold in other softwares, or at least they talked about this project on their blog.

VS languages demos on my MUSL
Jaydeis
Board Newbie

« Reply #5 on: Jun 22nd, 2011, 6:46pm »
Quote | Modify

on Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:45am, Sylvain Machefert wrote:
If I remember well, Guillion Bros have started to work on an interface to use Gold in other softwares, or at least they talked about this project on their blog.

This is fantastic news!  Do you have a link to the blog, so I can keep watching for more information on this project?

It sounds like there's no anticipated release date, though.  Hmm.  In the meantime, maybe I can rebuild a few of my favorites as Soundfonts...

on Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:47am, muddle wrote:
Yes, thats right.   You have to export  ALL samples of the instrument and then you can use the free program "vienna" to assemble them into the soundfont.

Okay, so how do I export ALL the samples?  I don't know if it's easier in HA, since I'm using MA, but going into the User-defined sound view only gives me one sample (and never the same one -- for example, it's C5 for Natural Violin 2, and Eb4 for the Natural Trumpet), and I can't figure out how to view the other ones.

I'm willing to get my hands dirty with Vienna for this, though.  Even if it means getting a clean loop through nothing but trial and error.
Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #6 on: Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:36pm »
Quote | Modify

The blog is here : http://www.myriad-online.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl
writted in French everyday
they are working hard on linux version of MA/HA

I didn't find where was what I talked about, maybe it was for guitar synthesis instead of Gold ? Don't know...

VS languages demos on my MUSL
muddle
Board Senior Member

WWW |

Re: Using the Gold Sound Database with other software?   wav_select.jpg
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23rd, 2011, 1:53am »
Quote | Modify

hi again Jaydeis.  
 Exporting all samples is done one at a time by selecting a new sample for the ..  er..   'wav view window'.  
See the attached image.
It exports the one currently in the view.  
( kind of frustrating when you don't realize!)  
I would name the export wav with the matching note name c3 , g4 etc.

I guess you already know the export action is in the red outlined menu.  
Actually i am just wondering if the export has the loop points in the wav file somewhere.  Will try a test with vienna.

addition.  
  No, it doesn't seem Vienna can recognize the points even if they are there.
It would be advisable to take a note of any  current MA/MA loop points.

muddle
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2011, 2:10am by muddle » offline

Jaydeis
Board Newbie

« Reply #8 on: Jun 23rd, 2011, 9:27am »
Quote | Modify

I'm guessing that's HA only.  In MA, that dropdown menu only has "To the note Max" and "Undefined"...

That makes it exceptionally frustrating!

Thanks for your help, though.  I appreciate it.
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Last update:  (c) Myriad 2013