please Login or Register.
Oct 19th, 2017, 2:23am 
   Myriad Forum
   Gold Sound Database
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Realistic Viola?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Realistic Viola?  (Read 6794 times)
craighaylett
Board Newbie

Realistic Viola?  
« on: Jun 2nd, 2010, 2:10pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi there

I notice that GOLD 2 doesn't have a realistic Viola.  Only violins and cellos.  Do you have any tips on producing a realistic viola sound using the violin / cello and effects?  Many thanks.

Craig
muddle
Board Senior Member

Re: Realistic Viola?   viola_equalizer.jpg
« Reply #1 on: Jun 3rd, 2010, 12:56am »
Quote | Modify

I think you will find the effect quite realistic if you  apply the low pass filter at maximum value to one of the quality violins  .. as in the attached screen shot.
This is reached via the FX button on the instrument  select panel for that staff.  
If you want to avoid setting the FX each time you want a viola, you can save this 'artificial viola' as a user instrument under a suitable name.   The setting will be saved with it.

Alternately you can use the viola.mui file attached below as a  user instrument.  You place the file in the 'sounds' folder of 'myriad documents' and it  automatically becomes visible as a user instrument  in the instrument selection panel.  
This viola was imported from a free internet  sound font  .. from somewhere  which i have totally forgotten!  
... see attachment below

Others may be able to provide an even better viola .

Muddle

You tube videos using HA or Virtual Singers:- https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMuddleglum/videos
muddle
Board Senior Member

Re: Realistic Viola?   viola.mui
« Reply #2 on: Jun 3rd, 2010, 1:02am »
Quote | Modify

The viola file in question is attached.    

cheers,  Muddle

You tube videos using HA or Virtual Singers:- https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMuddleglum/videos
Francois Desjardins
Beta-tester
Board Master

Écrire et écrire encore de la musique!

WWW | Email

Re: Realistic Viola?  
« Reply #3 on: Jun 3rd, 2010, 12:16pm »
Quote | Modify

on Jun 3rd, 2010, 1:02am, muddle wrote:
The viola file in question is attached.    

cheers,  Muddle

This subject interests me.
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2010, 12:25pm by Francois Desjardins » offline

François Desjardins
ALFREDO_ORLANDONI
Board Newbie

http://www.yout ube.com/user/al fredoorlandoni? gl=AR

WWW | Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 3rd, 2010, 2:07pm »
Quote | Modify

Muchas gracias, amigo Mudle: probé tu sugerencia y afortunadamente por fin podré usar la Viola. El sonido que has conseguido es muy bueno.Un abrazo.

Thank you very much, friend Mudle: I tried your suggestion and hopefully I can finally use the Viola. The sound you've got is very bueno.Un hug.
muddle
Board Senior Member

Re: Realistic Viola?   viola_looped.mui
« Reply #5 on: Jun 4th, 2010, 2:20am »
Quote | Modify

I thought I had better redo the mui viola  file with the samples looped for sustained notes.  
 Luckily, in this case,  it was possible to retain the vibrato quite well .. it can sound really bad  with some sample sets.  

Also took opportunity to remove some peculiar sample duplication in the original font, so this later version is not compressed at all.  

If the new file is satisfactory, one could delete the old file and rename this one to simply 'viola'.  

BTW,   If anyone knows of  a way to  replace/update an attached file on this forum then please advise.  

Enjoy.     Muddle.

craighaylett
Board Newbie

« Reply #6 on: Jun 4th, 2010, 12:48pm »
Quote | Modify

Many thanks for this Muddle.  I appreciate your help and time.

Craig
craighaylett
Board Newbie

« Reply #7 on: Jun 4th, 2010, 1:08pm »
Quote | Modify

I'm interested, how did you save the file with FX as a mui for others to use?
muddle
Board Senior Member

Re: Realistic Viola?   user_defined_button.jpg
« Reply #8 on: Jun 6th, 2010, 2:02pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi Craig,   I've  always done it  from the  instrument selection panel/menu.

You've probably noticed that you can alter the FX on a standard instrument and this will be preserved in the .mus/.myr  file, but the instrument definition itself is not changed, and whenever you open the instrument select panel it appears as normal.  

To make a  standard instrument a user one for others,  you click on the  user-defined button ( 1,  in attachment) .
 and you will be presented with a screen  like the attachment.

Any FX changes you then make or have made via the FX button ( 2)  will be preserved when you save the instrument definition.  
For this you go to the action menu, (3).  The last  item on this is ..  "save pre-defined instrument"
Once you click this you get a small  panel with options to compress (or not) the mui file and save it with some name.  

There is one small quirk .
If  the instrument is already a user one,  the user box is already ticked, but you don't get a visual of the waveform, so it appears exactly as normal.  
However  when you alter any FX or other setting, you can still go straight to the action menu and save.  
If you close the select panel to do a trial of any changes  before saving it,  you will notice that the waveform does appear when you re-open the instrument select.  

And  if you make any changes to the wave forms etc, or a completely new instrument,  you save the same way.
Hope that's not too confused.

cheers, David L.

craighaylett
Board Newbie

« Reply #9 on: May 9th, 2011, 2:09pm »
Quote | Modify

Just realised that I never thanked you.

Many thanks David!    Have a good day sir.
peter_95
Board Full Member

Email

« Reply #10 on: May 23rd, 2011, 8:54pm »
Quote | Modify

Bonjour

Pour chercher "viola"et autres par centaines
http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/thesoundexchange/make_music/samples/librar y/

bonne soirée  peter

que c'est compliqué de faire simple !!
craighaylett
Board Newbie

« Reply #11 on: May 25th, 2011, 1:59pm »
Quote | Modify

Wow Peter - this site is brilliant.

Thanks for sharing.

Craig
craighaylett
Board Newbie

« Reply #12 on: May 25th, 2011, 2:04pm »
Quote | Modify

Thank you again Peter.  I kiss your handa hundred times for sharing this link.  

Craig
muddle
Board Senior Member

« Reply #13 on: May 26th, 2011, 1:57am »
Quote | Modify

Hi again Craig.  Just a note on the Philharmonia samples.

There are some nice sounds there ( eg. viola arco sul tasto may make a good viola .. if you can get it looping well! ) ,  but for the rest .... heres some things I noticed when trying to use them ..

1. the samples are named for http use, and  not for what they actually are.  I ended up  downloading them  separately with a new name that I could easily recognize.
 Especially where the note name was given. ( some like banjo or clarinet are named with midi note numbers but that is rare)  

1. The best samples are often within overlapping sounds in rising/falling octave scales, and  connected so that you can't separate them for use.  

EDIT .. EDIT ...
 Well ... perhaps the idea of those jumps is that the natural playing sound from all possible notes to another  is captured this way  ..  and you are meant to have a complicated rendering system that mixes this 'legato ' between notes with other sustained notes.  Some orchestral  libraries use such a system.

2. they are low bit rate mp3s  and recorded at VERY low volume.  Sometimes the sound is still okay, but once set up one can be disappointed with the  how the quality seems to have gone.

3.  The files have to be converted to wave format and then edited and volume adjusted - or quite likely extracted slowly - from a sequence of notes.  Remembering again to label the extracted  notes as a recognizable name.    Lacking  'perfect pitch " I found it irksome to have to detect what note each sound actually was.
Luckily a few samples are  for individual notes.  

Note that there is a link to download all the viola ( or whatever) as a zip file.
 Also, you can download ALL the orchestra samples in just a couple of files from this link ( smaller files too, in RAR format ) >>  
http://www.archive.org/details/orchestral_samples

The catch is that the samples are not identified in full as in the html download site.  The instruments are named ( viola,) and the articulation ( arco sul tasto ) but not the note  .

I  confess that I thought I had "struck gold" on finding this site, but it turned out otherwise . I have only ever used a few spiccato  sounds.  
Would it not be great to have a  full set of articulations for  at least one instrument?   But then Myriad sound output would have to be seriously upgraded to handle that .. or one could get  used to multiple merged staves.

Good luck.   David
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2011, 9:11am by muddle » offline

muddle
Board Senior Member

Re: Realistic Viola?   viola_philharmonic_2.mui
« Reply #14 on: May 26th, 2011, 10:09am »
Quote | Modify

Whoops!    Correction,   I did try a viola.

I made it into a sound font but could not get a loop that worked at all.  Awful noise.

However,  inspired by your post here Craig, I just tried again as a mui instrument.  
The advantage of HA is the tools for correcting loops.  
The sound is not perfect still, but much improved .

I've  attached the mui file ( uncompressed) for anyone who thinks they can use it.  

Not sure what samples they were, possibly molto vibrato.. the web page seems to have changed since I  visited  before.
 cheers.   David.

Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad