please Login or Register.
Mar 31st, 2020, 4:09am 
   Myriad Forum
   Myriad HQ / Sound Bases
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   synth sounds
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: synth sounds  (Read 3442 times)
Mark Strange
Beta-tester
Board Junior Member

g3marko
WWW | Email

synth sounds  
« on: Jun 22nd, 2002, 3:57am »
Quote | Modify

For Olivier,
You stated in the beggining that you need drums and synth sounds the least because these sounds are easy to obtain. I was just wondering how you will eventually aquire these sounds?

I have three high end synths and could supply several sounds but I was wondering if this would be legal. The presets sounds would probably require licensing but how about sounds I created myself on these synths?

I have a Yamaha DX7, an Ensonic SQ1, and a Yamaha TG33 synth.

Cheers,
Mark Strange
Olivier Guillion
Administrator

WWW | Email

Re: synth sounds  
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22nd, 2002, 2:05pm »
Quote | Modify

It is a really good question, but I do not have the answer.

When playing on a synthesizer, you are allowed to record the piece you play and to do whatever you want with this recording, without having to pay any fee.

But what about playing a chord, and use it in a sampling machine ?

And what about playing a single note ? In the same way, if I record notes from a Yamaha recorder, do I have to pay a fee to Yamaha ?  

Surely, you are not allowed to dump the synthesizer ROMs, but how far are you free to use the sounds produced by your synthesizer or sound module ?

If anybody has legal info about this topic, he is invited to post it here.

Olivier Guillion
Myriad Software
Mark Strange
Beta-tester
Board Junior Member

g3marko
WWW | Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 23rd, 2002, 8:27pm »
Quote | Modify

To continue this discussion, we have to define what is a synthesizer.  A synthesizer is an electronic device which allows you to create sounds through the use of FM synthesis (Yamaha DX7) or modification of PCM samples ( Korg M1). Both type of synthesizers have factory presets which would need licensing if sampled in bulk, but wouldn't need licensing for user defined sounds.

A synthesizer is to instrument creation as Adobe Photoshop is to digital art creation. Both offer the tools and building blocks for the user to create artwork. Photoshop provides you with colour palletes, brush shapes, selection shapes, and filters. Sythesizers provide you with frequencies, sound waves (sine, sawtooth, etc.), PCM samples,  modulators, and dynamic envelope generators. Certainly the manufacturers can't claim ownership to everything you create with their tools.

The only problem with Melody/Harmony users supplying synth sounds is that you would have to take their word that the sound they submit is indeed a "user" defined sound. Myriad might be better off buying or borrowing a high quality synth and making samples yourself.  

I only brought up the subject in the first place because after you finish compiling all the natural acoustic/electric sounds, you will be needing sounds such as "synth leads, warm pads, SFX's, etc.".

This subject may not help in compiling the gold soundbase but is otherwise an interesting topic of discusion don't you think?

Cheers,
Mark Strange
Mark Strange
Beta-tester
Board Junior Member

g3marko
WWW | Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 23rd, 2002, 8:39pm »
Quote | Modify

I came across this web site called "Copyright Law & The Ethics Of Sampling". It's a very long read but is quite an interesting look at this subject. http://www.low-life.fsnet.co.uk/copyright/

Cheers,
Mark Strange
Mark Strange
Beta-tester
Board Junior Member

g3marko
WWW | Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25th, 2002, 11:52pm »
Quote | Modify

"The Last Word"

It seems that Olivier and I have come to the same conclusion regarding sampling of instruments. As per the copyright act, it is not clearly defined. However, recent court cases only concentrate on acts of sampling where it has remained obvious where the origin of the sample came from.

In other words, A sample of a single note is not enough to  give up the distinctive ownership of the original.  For the time being, Myriad would like to concentrate on aquiring samples of acoustic and electric instruments as these are harder to come by. So far, we have heard some fine examples from several users and we encourage other users to contribute.

When it comes time for adding synth leads, warm pads, and SFX's,  Myriad will be quite precise as to what is needed to advance the Gold Soundbase.

Cheers,
Mark Strange
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad