Myriad Forum « Can I copy the text from one staff to all? »
 Welcome, Guest.
 You can read all messages, but to be able to post,
 please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2014, 12:22pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Virtual Singer
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Can I copy the text from one staff to all?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Can I copy the text from one staff to all?  (Read 771 times)
David09
Board Full Member

Can I copy the text from one staff to all?   misero_giovane.10.mid.myr.zip
« on: Jul 6th, 2012, 7:18pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi all, first thanks to all for the fantastic help. I have another score in which I have added the Lyrics to the SOprano staff, I have to have the same Lyrics on the other 3 staffs, is there an easy way to do this or should I just write them in,it turns out to be quite well thought out and wouldn't take all that much time, but I don't have a great deal of time left so a short cut would help. I am attaching the .myr-zipped.
Could it be that there is a short time before a saved .myr shows up in the Myriad Documents Folder?No, one must look in the right place.

Albert Einstein: "Only two things are definite, the Universe, and Human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former."
JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

Re: Can I copy the text from one staff to all?  
« Reply #1 on: Jul 6th, 2012, 7:55pm »
Quote | Modify

As far as editing lyrics, please have a look at this thread.
David09
Board Full Member

« Reply #2 on: Jul 7th, 2012, 8:26am »
Quote | Modify

on Jul 6th, 2012, 7:55pm, JP wrote:
As far as editing lyrics, please have a look at this thread.

Thanks JP, you are a good advocate for the Lyric Editor, I think I understand it now. By putting the Text into the Editor I may use copy/paste to the other 3 parts, I am still not familiar enough with the editor to know HOW to do it, but if I get stuck I hope you will,once more, point me in the right direction, a true gentleman,thanks again.  

Albert Einstein: "Only two things are definite, the Universe, and Human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former."
JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 7th, 2012, 10:02am »
Quote | Modify

on Jul 7th, 2012, 8:26am, David09 wrote:

Thanks JP, you are a good advocate for the Lyric Editor, I think I understand it now. By putting the Text into the Editor I may use copy/paste to the other 3 parts, I am still not familiar enough with the editor to know HOW to do it, but if I get stuck I hope you will,once more, point me in the right direction, a true gentleman,thanks again.  

Quite easy!
1  start the lyrics editor (alt-ctrl L)
2 choose the voice to copy lyrics from
Then I suggest to add new lines AFTER A SPACE at the end of each verse frommprove readability
3 select all (ctrl A) and copy (ctrl C)
4 close the editor

For each voice you want to paste the lyrics to
1 start the editor
2 choose the voice
3 select all and paste
4 close

Then have a close look at each voice and see we're you have to make changes because the assignation of a syllable to notes differs from the original voice.
Small adjustments can be done directly in the lyrics lines, more complex ones (such as changing bar boundaries) in the lyrics editor.

« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2012, 10:03am by JP » Logged
JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

Re: Can I copy the text from one staff to all?   Misero-giovane-JP.myr
« Reply #4 on: Jul 7th, 2012, 11:56am »
Quote | Modify

I tried to edit your text, but it seems to be easier to restart from scratch.
Your text is full of "-" instead of spaces, unnecessary "^", etc.
Notice that VS needs the correct spelling to recognize words, as in most languages syllables are not pronounced exactly the same way if they are at the beginning, in the middle or at the end of a word.
(Luckily it's less the case in Italian than in our respective languages.)
1 - search the web for the text: after 10 minutes I got this address http://www.archive.org/stream/orfeoeeuridicely00glucuoft/orfeoeeuridicel y00glucuoft_djvu.txt which contains the full text of the opera in plain ASCII
2 - copy the part of the text we are interested in:
    Misero giovane,  
    Che vuoi ? che mediti ?  
    Altro non abita  
    Che lutto e gemito,  
    In queste orribili  
    Soglie del duol.

This is not exactly the text of the lyrics, but it's clear that editing will be more simple than retyping everything.
3 - As there are some changes in the text and some parts which are repeated, you can use another text editor or directly the HA lyrics editor for the next phase. If you choose the Lyrics editor, the best is probably to
  • open the lyrics editor
  • choose Altos (in order to keep the Soprano text as it is for the time being)
  • delete the /
  • paste the text above in the window

Then adjust the text to fit with what is sung (e.g. copy/paste the text when it's being repeated), from the example of the Soprano. This gives:
    Misero giovane,  
    Che vuoi, che mediti ?  
    Altro non abita  
    Che lutto e gemito,  
    In queste orribili  
    Soglie funeste!  

Che vuoi, misero giovane?  
    Che?  
    Altro non abita  
    Che lutto e gemito,  
    Che lutto e gemito,  
    Che lutto e gemito,  
    In queste orribili  
    Soglie funeste!

Make sure that every line ends with a space.

Then introduce bar separators (/) taking the Soprano voice as model:
    Misero /giovane,  
    /Che vuoi, che /mediti ?  
    / /Altro non/ abita  
    /Che lutto e /gemito,  
    In /queste or/ribili  
    /Soglie fu/neste!  

/Che /vuoi, /misero /giovane?  
    //Che?  
    //Altro non /abita  
    /Che lutto e /gemito,  
    /Che lutto e /gemito,  
    /Che lutto e /gemito,  
    /In queste or/ribili  
    /Soglie fu/ne//ste!/  

I suggest then to test if the the bar boundaries are correctly set: by experience I know that nothing is easier than forgetting to put / at some appropriate places, specifically at the beginning of a verse, or forget to put 2 / when there is a silent bar.
To do that close the lyrics editor and look if the text of each bar is the same in the Alto voice as in the Soprano voice.
Use the Lyrics editor again to make necessay modifications.

The next step consists in syllable separators, i.e.
  • inside a word, syllables must be separated by a dash - between words by a space
  • if a syllable is sung on several notes, there mus be as many separators (- or space) as there are notes
  • something very common in Italian, is that often two syllables are sung on one note. In that case replace the - separator by a = and space separator by a ^: they will display respectively as - or space, but VS will understand that they have to be sung as a diphthong.

You get:
      Mi-se-ro /gio-va-ne, /
      Che vuoi, che /me-di-ti /?  
       /Al-tro non /a-bi-ta /
      Che lut-to^e /ge-mi-to,
      In /que^-ste or-/ri-bi-li /
      So-glie fu/ne-ste! /

Che /vuo-i, /mi-se-ro /gio-va-ne? /
      /Che?  
      //Al-tro non /a-bi-ta /
      Che lut to^e /ge-mi-to, /
      Che lut-to^e /ge-mi-to, /
      Che lut-to^e /ge-mi-to, /
      In que-ste^or/ri-bi-li /
      So-glie fu/ne-/-/ste!/

Notice that the diphthong "toIn", where "to" is on one line and "In" on the the other one is represented by the new line character, without the space before.
    That explains why you have to be careful with the space/New line combination in "normal" cases.

Something I forgot to say: Lyrics should be centred in 99% of the cases.

Last step: copy the contents of the Altos lyrics editor window, then open successively the window of other voices and just paste the text.

The result is in attachment.
    I noticed that you used a 3rd line C key for Altos and a 3rd line G key for Tenors. I suppose you know that's very uncommon and most choir singers would have trouble reading these keys, but with HA changing C key to G key and 3rd line G key to second line G with 8b can be done in a few seconds.
    I forced the stem up for tenors, so that stems are not overlapping with lyrics.
David09
Board Full Member

« Reply #5 on: Jul 7th, 2012, 12:35pm »
Quote | Modify

JP, WOW! you have written users guide,thanks you kind Sir. Unfortunately the attachment now leads to an untitled blank page, otherwise I would have stolen your work. I will print your post and try to see  if I can get it right. It is too much for me to remember since my 10 days in Intensive care for Kidney failure and Sepsis, the drugs they used destroyed my memory.
I tried to put the sopranos, tenors and altos back in their original clefs but the octave always came out wrong, either too high or too low but not in the middle where they are in the score I copied from.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2012, 12:42pm by David09 » offline

bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #6 on: Jul 7th, 2012, 1:17pm »
Quote | Modify

on Jul 7th, 2012, 12:35pm, David09 wrote:

I tried to put the sopranos, tenors and altos back in their original clefs but the octave always came out wrong, either too high or too low but not in the middle where they are in the score I copied from.

As the offset is one octave, it probably comes from the voice settings. You can edit the voice parameters this way :
1- Open VS window and double-click on the "singer" whose octave is wrong.
2- You will then get the edit window. On the right, there is a slider telling you the "octave offset". That should do the trick.

Just another thought : when you changed the clefs, did you pay attention to the "transpose" factor in the clef edit window. The usual setting is "none" (there will be no transposition of the notes, but they will be relocated according to the new clef) But you may have chosen transpose up/down, which could explain the octave offset.
David09
Board Full Member

« Reply #7 on: Jul 7th, 2012, 1:32pm »
Quote | Modify

Thanks bubu42, you are right, my mistake was to choose one of the up or down options. I hope now that I understand the system a bit better I should be capable of doing things like that the right way,although the look doesn't matter to me, only the sound, never would I print a score that I had copied from another source so no one would have had to read it.The composers choice of octave is important to me,as it affects the sound very much.

JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

Re: Can I copy the text from one staff to all?   Misero-giovane-JP.zip
« Reply #8 on: Jul 7th, 2012, 1:59pm »
Quote | Modify

Is it better with that one? It's the same file in a zip container.
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Last update:  (c) Myriad 2013