please Login or Register.
Nov 23rd, 2017, 7:32pm 
   Myriad Forum
   Virtual Singer
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Danish Language
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Danish Language  (Read 6402 times)
pabbi
Board Newbie

Email

Danish Language  
« on: Aug 22nd, 2006, 6:03pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi guys,
Any news on Virtual singer in Danish?

Although I can use Italic that is similiar, it's especially the native characters that are missing (æøå).
crimhead
Board Master

Mainz   Germany

WWW | Email

Re: Danish Language  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:18pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi

maybe this page about SampaNotation can help you:
http://www.myriad-online.com/resources/docs/harmony/english/vsampa.htm

Lutz

Please visit me at https://soundcloud.com/lutzstahlhofen/
pabbi
Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 4:23pm »
Quote | Modify

Thanks for this, it begins to look like something, but of course there is no notation for Danish.
Any idea about Sampa notation for the danish language?
pabbi
Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 4:31pm »
Quote | Modify

If I'm using Italian, then I guess I have to find the equlent sound in Italian for the Danish special Characters.
Any Italian that speaks Danish around?
crimhead
Board Master

Mainz   Germany

WWW | Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 9:01am »
Quote | Modify

Hi
you can use sound from different languages in the same song. There is a command that lets you change the language so that you can use these special words or sound that you need. i dont know the exact syntx right now but it is described somewhere in the Virtual Singer  part of the manual. I know this will be a tricky job, but I may be a way to solve your problem.
If you want  danish as a full VS-language why dont you make a request for a new language in the democratic workshop?

Lutz

Please visit me at https://soundcloud.com/lutzstahlhofen/
pabbi
Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 10:53am »
Quote | Modify

Thanks for the help. I'll try and figure this out.
I don't know how many users there are in Denmark, so this would probably be a low priority.
wkn
Board Newbie

« Reply #6 on: Apr 1st, 2011, 11:14pm »
Quote | Modify

I posted a request for Danish Language in Atelier Démocratique and was given the advice below, as well as a suggestion to continue the discussion in this thread.

I have had a go at creating a Danish language file for the Other Languages script in HA. I'm not a phoneticist so this has been a challenge but the result begins to sound somewhat Danish. I would however appreciate professional help towards improvements.

You can find an example song with a real singer version, virtual singer version, MYR file plus the Danish language file at http://kor.dk/virtualsinger. They are too large to attach to this post.

Danish is a complex language with a pronunciation very different from the written language and with many different possible phonemes for each letter and diphtong. Especially the vowels are complex - if you distinguish between long and short vowels more than 40 vowel phonemes can be identified in Danish, probably the largest number in any language. And they are very close to each other. When written about 20 different vowel phoneme symbols are used. Also the consonants are complex, up to 19 different. Especially a "soft d" and a "soft g" is hard to approximate in other languages.

As you see a lot of Danish phonemes have no correspondent Virtual Singer fragments so I have had to "approximate" a lot. Also I have only captured a few of the important rules-of-thumb for selecting phonemes in different circumstances. But judge for yourself.

If you want to help me improve the result a very good description of the Danish sounds can be found at Wikipedia Danish Phonology

Thanks for any help or comment.

- Werner

on Mar 22nd, 2011, 6:50pm, Sylvain Machefert wrote:
Hi!
As I explained here
give us a chart of pronounciation of every character, diphtongs...
and we could make the danish file for the script (HA only).
See this topic about Danish, please do not create a new one.

Give us some midi/myr song with lyrics and a link to youtube/mp3 to listen a version sung by a real person.

Sylvain Machefert
Administrator

WWW |

« Reply #7 on: Apr 6th, 2011, 10:10pm »
Quote | Modify

Bravo for your work
I don't know anything about Danish, but your txt seems OK, and the myr sounds good.
I've not yet compared with the mp3.

Don't hesitate to post bugfix if you discover them.
And once you think your file is stable, you can send it to Olivier to integrate in the next distributed script version.

VS languages demos on my MUSL
HA+VS+PdfToMusic Win7
Keyboards: Nord Electro 3, MIDI controller+Ketron SD4 expander
JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

Re: Danish Language   02_-_Min_sjael_er_stille_Gud_alene.myr
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11th, 2011, 6:39pm »
Quote | Modify

Hallo Werner
My choir is currently rehearsing a work by Bernhard Lewkowitch. As you can guess, French people are not used to sing in Danish. We had the opportunity of a Danish lady recording the text, but I know by experience that the way a language is spoken is quite different form the way it is sung.
Would you be kind enough to apply your language description file to the attached score (soprano voice only), check if it is correct and send the result to me?

Thanks for your help
AlexBG
Board Junior Member

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 11th, 2011, 8:12pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi pabbi,
I would recommend you to look at
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/
and see The phonemic notation of individual languages
including Danish.
Regards,
AlexBG

HA + Gold2 + PDFtoMusic + OMeR + Overture 4.1 + GPO KP2 + ARIA GPO4 + Audacity + Miroslav Philharmonik + Notion 4 +
Windows 7 + IE
wkn
Board Newbie

« Reply #10 on: Apr 13th, 2011, 6:10pm »
Quote | Modify

JP,

Ahh, Bernhard Lewkovitch, a wonderful composer. Good luck with the work.

I have corrected some Danish typos in your score and applied my language definition to it, as well as some manual corrections to the script's result. As I wrote, Danish has VERY complicated relations between pronounciation and written language.

I am quite happy with the result even if some Danish sounds have no correspondent HA fragment, but the approximations work reasonably. I attach the new MYR file.

If you enjoy singing in Danish you might want to know that I am myself a choral composer. Not in the same league as Lewkovitch but I have had some of my music published. Let me know if you want some more information.
wkn
Board Newbie

Re: Danish Language   02_-_Min_sjael_er_stille_Gud_alene_Fragmentized.myr
« Reply #11 on: Apr 13th, 2011, 6:11pm »
Quote | Modify

... and here is the attachment  
JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 13th, 2011, 10:34pm »
Quote | Modify

Thanks a lot, Werner.
I'm out of town for a week and I'll use your file as soon as I can (I'm currently using my iPhone, which is better than nothing, but unable to play HA files.)

Our conductor intends to add the two other motets to our répertoire. I'll send them to you ASAP.
Can you send me one of tour works? I'll present it to our conductor to get his advice.
Kind regards
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2011, 10:46pm by JP » offline
wkn
Board Newbie

Re: Danish Language   Music.zip
« Reply #13 on: Apr 15th, 2011, 12:16am »
Quote | Modify

JP, I will process the other motets when you send them. I did a slight improvement of "Min sjæl", please use this latest attached version (in Music.zip)

In the zip I also attach two of my works:

Aften (Evening) from Sommersange (Summer Songs) with lyrics by Thøger Larsen, published by Edition S, 2006.

Regnvejrsstemning (Rain Mood) from Derude fra (From Out There) with lyrics by Jeppe Aakjær, expected to be published at BoD this year.

If you and your conductor find them interesting we can go on with translations and pronounciations.

- Werner
JP
Board Master

WWW | Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 15th, 2011, 10:34am »
Quote | Modify

Tanks Werner
I'm currently in the south of France and my conductor in the French Western Indies. We'll see the files on return.
Kind regards
JP

Pages: 1 2  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad