please Login or Register.
Sep 26th, 2018, 12:00am 
   Myriad Forum
   MyrScript Language
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Piano Pedaling
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Piano Pedaling  (Read 160 times)
theclarkster
Board Junior Member

Email

Piano Pedaling  
« on: Aug 18th, 2018, 9:31pm »
Quote | Modify

Hi all!

Does anyone want to tackle writing a script that would automatically add pedal marks to a score?  What I'm thinking is that the user would select a staff or staves and start the score playback.  While the score is playing, have the script check to see if the user is holding a key down (i.e. spacebar).  While the key is pressed, then the score would set pedaling to on.  Once released, pedaling is set to off.  I'm not much for programming, so I'm not sure hiw easy something like this would be or if it's even possible.  Just one of those crazy ideas I had last night while I was working on a piano score.
bubu42
Board Master

Re: Piano Pedaling  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18th, 2018, 10:35pm »
Quote | Modify

Interesting question...
I wonder whether Myrscript is able to handle the keyboard while a score is playing. Anyway, if it is the case, a script could actually add the pedal marks which are objects like the others.
I'll try to investigate.
theclarkster
Board Junior Member

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19th, 2018, 5:05am »
Quote | Modify

Thanks bubu!  I'll be curious to know what your investigations reveal!
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #3 on: Aug 21st, 2018, 11:22am »
Quote | Modify

Good news.  
So far, I've managed to run a very simple script.  
It can play the music, scan the keyboard, react to a key stroke while the music is playing and perform a basic operation (change the note color that's been selected).
Now I have to determine which keys should be used to set the pedal effects (in and out). I think I'll go this way : one key will be used. The first time it will set the "ped" effect and keep the state in memory. Then, on the second key stroke, it will set the "*" effect.
Since all this requires a lot of attention while the music is playing, I'll probably run the thing in a user dialog, so that we can manage other things (like the general tempo, the choice of the staff, etc.)
I keep working on that.
theclarkster
Board Junior Member

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 23rd, 2018, 11:40am »
Quote | Modify

Thanks for the update and your work on the script!  Sounds like you're making pretty good progress.  Thanks again!
PaulL
Board Senior Member

Organist and choir director

« Reply #5 on: Sep 5th, 2018, 10:04pm »
Quote | Modify

Bubu, if Myrscript can distinguish between key down and key up events. you would only need one key.  Key down would add the "Ped." and key up would add the "*".

On the other hand, I suppose a script using two keys could easily be generalizable to adding any effect, dynamic, etc. while playing.

Le silence éternel des espaces infinis m'effraie.
Church musician

HA+VS+PdfToMusic Win 10
bubu42
Board Master

« Reply #6 on: Sep 5th, 2018, 10:50pm »
Quote | Modify

on Sep 5th, 2018, 10:04pm, PaulL wrote:
Bubu, if Myrscript can distinguish between key down and key up events. you would only need one key.  Key down would add the "Ped." and key up would add the "*".

That's what I thought first, but I found it easier to use two different keys while building and testing the script. Now, I'm trying to transpose the whole thing into a floating window so that I can use a few other commands. However, since I'm currently working around the house, I have little spare time to complete the script. It's probably a matter of a few days, hopefully. Quote:

On the other hand, I suppose a script using two keys could easily be generalizable to adding any effect, dynamic, etc. while playing.

If the script is run in a floating window, such an option could probably be implemented.
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad