please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 9:25am 
   Myriad Forum
   Virtual Singer
(Moderator: Forum Administrator)
   Virtual singer

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print
   Author  Topic: Virtual singer  (Read 2419 times)
David_Hood
Board Full Member

Virtual singer  
« on: Jan 31st, 2014, 1:25am »
Quote | Modify

Using HA, I wondered whether anyone had any suggestions for the best way to render "wouldn't" in Virtual Singer (with each syllable on a different note)? I've tried would[woo]-n't[dernt] and would[wuh]-n't[dernt], but can't quite get what I'm looking for (using USA English).
LordGil
Board Full Member

Email

Re: Virtual singer  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 2nd, 2014, 2:45am »
Quote | Modify

On this site we can have a good phonétique of words. I use it often and obtain goods results.
In your case it sound like  (wen-ded or wen-dett)
good luck
http://www.francaisfacile.com/audrey.php
carminum
Board Newbie

Re: Virtual singer   IWOULDNT.zip
« Reply #2 on: Feb 9th, 2014, 1:20pm »
Quote | Modify

Try: Ay woo dant
Entered into the text field as: I[ay] woul[woo]-d'nt[dant].
(TIP edit lyrics through the 'Edit Lyrics' options from the staff menu. Editing in the lyrics line itself quickly becomes a mess.)

In the attached ZIP you'll find a sung setting of this phrase: a 1-page score and a .prv-file, the actual VS voice. You need Gold Base of course. Open the file in page mode for correct display of all the graphics. The voice file (.prv) goes in the myriad documents/settings/voices folder.

A few notes on the why and how.
   1. The spelling used here does work with most voices, but, as is my experience working with VS for many years now, as sophisticated as this software is, the standard voices contain  'additional' noises, especially in plosives and gutturals. If you select a standard voice instead of the one I provided you will hear the differences.  For instance, the 't' in 'would'nt' might come with a range of aftersounds.
   2. The voice itself has changed timbre settings (formants); the parameters immediately related to the formant settings (interpretation, volume, pitch) have also been altered, just check them out. Also, and this is very important, and it explains why this voice sounds the way it does, I altered the voice's phonemes. All of these changes are directly related to the settings of the formants. It makes it possible to use various spellings to obtain the result I want. For instance, I definitely hate sharp s-sounds. So I alter the phoneme to the extent that I can realise various s-sounds in the lyrics by using more or less s'es. It is also important to pay attention to the length of each individual note (the 'pressure time' in HA) in the score. If this is left at 100 the words sound glued together resulting in them becoming undistinguishable one from another.
   3. Of course, with all these parameters changed, a SAMPA spelling would be of no use to me as the voice now no longer behaves in correspondance  with its dictionary. Each time, again and again, I have to experiment with various spellings of any word for the best result. And, I must repeat this, as the settings of the formants are immediately affecting all the other parameters, whenever I change a formant's settings, to change the voice type I need, I usually have to build up the voice from scratch all over again.  
   4. Why am I doing this? Well, if I am to supply a sound realisation of my score I want any voice appearing in it to sound correctly, that is, sounding HUMAN, as opposed to sounding like a DALEK, which is what most computer voices sound like.  
   5. There are no fundamental or generally applicable rules in making your voices work for you. If you you want the voice to sound properly, that is: realistically, you will have to experiment.

Good luck!
Maurits.

Maurits
Pages: 1  Reply | Notify of replies | Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

« Myriad Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Top of page
Legal information Last update:  (c) Myriad